Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combo units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combo units

My son thinks he wants a combo fueled cooker. IE gas on one side, charcoal on the other. Or gas/pellet. I know Pit Boss makes some of these cookers. Any other guidance I can pass along to him? Thx in advance for any help.

Kettle.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP Wait a minute, what did you say?🙄

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok. Everyone needs a kettle. THEN comes the...……..pbc. ofelles

Why a combo unit he will get neither the best of a gas unit nor the best of a charcoal unit. My brother has a combo unit and wishes he never bought it. It wasn't cheap either I think nearly $700. He knows how to que down in Birmingham.

Comment

I think he is on the wrong path entirely. He already has a nice gasser and one of those little Weber kettles. Smokey Joe I think they are called? If anything I think he should get a 22” or 26” kettle. But hey, what do I lnow? 🙄 He has always had his own mind. So if he wants to go down the combo path the least I can do is help him with info.

Comment

Well i looked at Pit Boss and they sell through Wal Mart. They have an Ultimate 4-1 that includes gas, charcoal and electric smoker for $1499. Freight is free.!

Comment

I saw one of these at Lowes and seemed to be built reasonably well and very affordable. Sure it's a one size fits all approach but hey if that's what you want...

Smoke or grill how you like with the Oklahoma Joe's® Longhorn Combo Charcoal/Gas Smoker & Grill.

Comment

Worst of both worlds.

Comment

How old is your son? If hes 25 shrug your shoulders and walk away. If hes 35 we have a shot!!

Comment

Ha! 🤣. He is 34. So maybe We keep trying. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Jfrosty27 View Post
                  My son thinks he wants a combo fueled cooker. IE gas on one side, charcoal on the other. Or gas/pellet. I know Pit Boss makes some of these cookers. Any other guidance I can pass along to him? Thx in advance for any help.
                  The Pit Boss models look intriguing, but I feel that combo grills are a bad idea in general, as you tend to not get the best example of the type of cooker in either side of the unit. For example, my son in law has a Char-griller combo gas/charcoal grill that is the worst $350 he ever spent at Home Depot. The gas side has a horrible burner design that leads to grease pooling and catching on fire on top of their version of a flavorizer bar over the burners, and the burners and grates have rusted terribly in just 2 years. The charcoal side just doesn't have the vent and temp control of a Weber kettle. He plans to toss it to the curb later this year and pick up a Weber gas grill and a charcoal grill, possibly a Weber Performer.

The combo grills are kind of like the TV/VCR combos we used to have, where the VCR died 2 years in, and you had a TV with a dead VCR in it for the next 8-10 years. You are better off buying a good gas grill, a good pellet smoker, and a good charcoal grill, and not tying them to one cooker.

If he has to have a combo cooker, try to steer him towards something quality, like the Campchef Woodwind series. They have a 24" and 36" "slide and grill" pellet cooker with an attached side gas grill. I feel like it will be a lot better than the Pitboss cooker.
                  Last edited by jfmorris; May 9, 2020, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                    Jfrosty27 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the advice. The woodwind is a good idea for him.

Check out the Cuisinart WoodCreek.
                  Shop for the Cuisinart® Woodcreek 4-in-1 Pellet Grill online. View product details, reviews and retailers where the Woodcreek 4-in-1 Pellet Grill is available for purchase.

I don't have any experience with it, or knowledge about it, except it looks interesting for the price. Also, I can say I have a Cuisinart 360 griddle and it is very good quality for the low price I payed for it.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                    ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Didn't even know this was a thing until today when I found Cuisinart pellets at wally world... I bought some and will review soon, but also saw the Woodcreek and was actually surprised. For the money it feels well built, I have concerns about longevity but everything is coated so shouldn't rust until the coating is compromised. Has a ton of features and everything stores somewhere.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here