Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an Off Set better than the PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an Off Set better than the PBC?

So I have a PBC(Love it) but wondering if I should save up to buy an off set smoker? If anyone has both, is an off set substantially better or just different? I've been watching videos lately of about off sets and wondering if a PBC can keep up. What's your opinion

Thanks

Two different animals. You watch enough videos on a smoker you don't have and you'll eventually need it.

A cheap offset, no way. A $2000 offset, I hope so.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Facts. what Jerod Broussard said.

I'd like to drive 'The Good One' around the block some day.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never disagreed with Jerod before. Sorry, boss. My advice would be to buy a cheap offset, knowing it will take some tinkering. Find out it you like how it cooks and save for an expensive ($2000 minimum) if you do.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 PBC sent my modded out COS to the junkyard, literally.

An offset and a PBC can cook the same things, but have a pretty different flavor profile I would think. Smoke from vaporized drippings hitting the charcoal is going to produce a different flavor. In an offset or in a kettle with a SnS, the drippings don’t hit the fire at all. Chicken I cook over the charcoal on my kettle with the Grillgrates tastes different than chicken cooked indirect using the SnS. I favor the direct grilled chicken BTW.

I have an offset and the kettle, and unless you want to spend a lot on a high quality offset, I recommend a kettle with SnS as a cheap alternative if you want to try something different than the PBC. I wouldn’t fool with a cheap leaky offset. It makes for frustration in managing temperatures and controlling the fire.

Comment

• kelton
      kelton commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually have a SNS as well but didn't realize that it's as good as an off set. I typically use it when I reverse sear stuff because I can;t get that good sear on a PBC like I can with a kettle.
      But if a SNS is enough then I'll just save my money

Yep what Jerod Broussard said. Every grill is sort of designed for different purposes. I have had just about every one there is out there because I could afford them. But eventually got rid of most of them after only a couple of years.

Think about how you are going to use your offset smoker before buying. An offset will feed 2-3 times the amount of the
    PBC. A good offset will cost you 10x the cost of your PBC as mentioned above.

I guess the big question is what are you trying to do? What are your goals? And how much time do you want to spend tending the smoker?

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      and jfmorris has a few crucially good points too. I don't have grill grates but I finish smoked birds with a sear. And there's tons of hacks and adds for a kettle to get fun out of at a lower price than an offset that actually works.

• kelton
      kelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I guess my goal is to just satisfy my own curiosity. I like wood flavor and I was wondering would that wood flavor come out more in an off set than my PBC because it's using whole logs vs chunks.

But if its just a matter of personal preference then that's ok, I'll just wait till i go to a place with an off set.

The answer to your question is complicated. How much work do you want to do? How readily available is firewood in your area?

If you love the PBC, roll with that. An offset is just different, and a lot more work. A cheap offset is different and w-a-y more work.
    Last edited by Steve R.; October 17, 2019, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• kelton
      kelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah forget that, I don't have the patience.

As people have said, two entirely different cookers. I watch videos and fantasize about smoking Texas brisket on a wood fired offset. Then reality sets in. I have kids and no time to babysit a fire for 12 hours. It would get used only a few times a year.

When I retire I think I will finally have time.

If you are looking at offsets check out KBQ. It's wood fired so you get the flavor of an offset but it is much more use friendly. You still have to feed it but getting the smoke and temp right is easier.

[rev_slider alias=”slider” order=”1,2,3,4,6,7,5,8,9,10,11,23,17,18,19,20,21,22,12,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42″][/rev_slider] After leading tours of over 230 commercial barbecue establishments across the country, I can say that the Karubecue: 1) Meets our rigorous standard of a traditional, wood-fired barbecue pit; and 2) Eliminates the barriers to making consistently great finished product. From our… keep reading

Comment

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      "When I retire I think I will finally have time."

Don't bet on it!

As many have said here... Better is a relative term... depends on what you are meaning by better and what you are wanting out of it. Better for you may be different than better for me.

If you asked if an EOS is better than a COS then the answer would have been Yes because you are comparing similar products. The PBC and Offsets are two different beasts.

I have a PBC and a COS. I love to stick burn, love to tend the fire, etc... however for convenience and because of general frustrations that come with a COS I almost completely stopped using my COS when I got my PBC. As a side note in some small local competitions I beat guys using big offsets on pull behind trailers and everything in between using my PBC.

To answer your question. Better is what works best for you.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      For the right person, who is willing to take the time to learn and overcome frustration, there is value in learning cooking on a COS. However, there are many other paths that lead to better BBQ without the associated learning curve and limitations of COS cooking.

• kelton
      kelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Seriously, you beat those guys? Wow, yeah the PBC is a beast especially with ribs.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      kelton , the gateway drums are known to win big in KCBS competitions. The point of my mentioning that is to say that it isn’t all about the smoker.

kelton I will add something more to what I said before. You are used to the PBC, which is pretty much set and forget for 5-6 hours at least. With any offset, fire management is an almost constant task throughout the cook - on a GOOD offset, you still need to feed the fire every 30 minutes or so, as the fire size is how you will maintain temp on a good offset smoker. With a cheap offset, you will still tend the fire every 30 minutes or so, but will be fighting vents all the time, and cursing as it will be too hot, too cold, and constantly fussing with it. I have an offset that my dad designed and one of his welders built up around 1985. I keep it because my dad built it, but it is not the best designed offset, and he used pretty heavy stainless for the construction, but it doesn't have the heat retention of a good smoker you can buy today. And it has some leaks in the design of the firebox that I just cannot resolve. So.... if I smoke on it, I can plan on staying up on the couch all night long, checking the fire every 30-60 minutes. With my kettle and SnS, I can check the fire at 11pm, and set my alarm for 7am, and know I am good all night long.

So which do I smoke on these days? Probably 95% on the kettle with the SnS, as it excels at temperature control due to the intake and outlet vents - plus I have a PartyQ to control the temp electronically, AND I routinely get 12 hours out of a load of 7-8 pounds of charcoal and wood chunks. My offset if using charcoal and wood chunks would use 40 pounds of fuel in that amount of time. And personally, I find the results with the kettle+Sns and the wood/charcoal fired offset to be similar enough that I will take the ease of use over the fire management.

On the kettle+SnS when smoking, I can fit 5 racks of baby back ribs (in a rack), 3-4 chickens if I split them, 2 Boston butts or 1 brisket. If I am smoking for a party where that capacity isn't enough is the only time now I fire up the offset.

If I had the money to buy an offset, the ones I have on my wish list include a Lang 48" patio model or something like a Yoder Loaded Witchita. If I win the raffle, the Good One Open Range is not quite an offset, but the closest thing in the prize list to one right now, and Mr. Bones seems to really like his.

Comment

• kelton
      kelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya know I have a SNS and as of now I totally use my PBC for ribs, but I'll use the SNS on anything I want to sear like a steak and sometimes chicken thighs. It's a great tool and between the both of then sounds like I've got all I need

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      kelton An offset is cool, but only if you get a good one and have time to manage the cook. Since you have a kettle and SnS I think you can get a taste for how food smoked that way would be different than the PBC.

Neither. WSM for the win.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your answer - neither. I don't necessarily agree or disagree, but when buying a cooker which one is next should be the idea, not which one of only two choices.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m planning to get a WSM 22 as my next smoker.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris, I just got my buddy to order one after he saw how easy it was to cook on it. Another one of his buddies has a big expensive contraption. He thought my cook was better than anything he came out with. I was able to find him a new 22” for $50 off. Between that and a Signals he’ll be spending about a quarter of what his other friend spent.

I have PBC. Sometimes I daydream of the long cooks that require wood and tending too...an OS filled with briskets and beans...even homemade sausage! Then I snap back to reality, and realize I haven't had to check the PBC in 6 hours.

But, that daydream will one day come true!

Comment

If I didn't have to worry about the risk of fire (my charcoal-fueled smokers are on my deck), wanted to satisfy a fire-tending yen, and my MCS dreams could come true, I'd get a Karubeque (KBQ) before I'd consider an offset smoker. But then I already have a PBC and WSCGC , so those MCS itches have already been scratched.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; October 19, 2019, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        If you have found a MCS cure.... please share!

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Scratched itches do at some point itch again. Haha.

Even though there has been some great advice above, I'll throw my 2 cents in.
      I have a PBC and a KBQ (not an offset but a close cousin) they cook completely different and have very different flavor profiles. Since I have the option I prefer pork ribs and chicken on my PBC. Any beef or pork butts I prefer the flavor on my KBQ. As many have stated above a stick burner requires frequent attention but as far as temp control on a stick burner the KBQ cannot be beat. I've never owned a kettle so I have no experience there.
      One more plug for the KBQ if I could only own one cooker it would be the one. (For reference I also have a Kamado Joe and a Yoder pellet). If it was the only cooker I had I wouldn't cook as often due to the time commitment required but the flavor and color that comes out of that thing is ridiculous. Also I no longer finish the entire cook with it. Generally after 5 or 6 hours depending on the bark and color, I wrap and finish in the oven. If at some point you do decide to go the stick burner route I'd strongly suggest you spend some time reading the 100+ pages of the KBQ has landed thread before making a decision.
      Last edited by hogdog6; October 19, 2019, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said, and exactly why a KBQ is would be on my wish list if I had a place for it.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; October 19, 2019, 06:29 AM.

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc I seem to recall you stating in the past that you live in a wooded area and that would not be the place for a KBQ.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        True, hogdog6 . When I read the KBQ company disclaimers about how far the KBQ had to be positioned from any structures or trees, I sadly concluded that I couldn't have one.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here