Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still loving the Summit Charcoal, but cannot wait for Weber Pellet Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still loving the Summit Charcoal, but cannot wait for Weber Pellet Grill

The Memphis sold to a nice young couple from Minnesota last weekend. I think they are going to love it having been doing most of their outdoor cooking on a gasser.

I feel a little lacking with no pellet grill after many years of having one. I've done quite a few cooks on the Summit Charcoal now and really like it and haven't really found anything that it doesn't do fairly well. However, I'm really excited to see this Weber SmokeFire. I'm waiting for it to come out to make my final decisions on my next pellet grill. There are just times when it's too convenient to pour in a bag of pellets, turn a dial and wait for dinner. Plus there's a couple things that I've found I do prefer or pellets vs charcoal.

Amazon keeps tempting me with the Cookshack PG500 dropping in price, but I don't desire direct flame grilled foods off of the pellet grill, so I'm pinching my wallet hard trying to make sure I resist. If I don't get the Weber, I'm probably going to get a Traeger Ironwood. I'm still researching a bit on the Rec Tecs though and still want to see some more on the new Louisiana grills founders series. The Pitts and Spitts looks beautiful, but seems a bit pricey and by time you add $300 for the WiFi, it seems a bit high for what I want to spend this go round. I've seen and really like the Broil Kings too, there's just not enough information about them out there to get a feel for how well they really perform.

If I could design my own, what I think I really want though is a Traeger Bronson 20, with those bigger angled legs that also fold like the tailgater, along with all the new WiFi D2 controller, auger, etc. Something just big enough to cook a packer or couple butts easily, but moderately portable.

glitchy so why did you get rid of the Memphis? Those are some pretty nice pellet poopers.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      When I bought the Memphis, I thought it was the one and only grill I'd ever need. It was truly one of the finest constructed products of any kind that I've ever owned. However, I found that for my family's tastes it was not the ONE and ONLY grill we wanted and for my cooking style I was pretty good at creating grease fires in it.

If you're looking for something moderately portable, I'd suggest also having a look at the Grilla Grills Chimp. It doesn't have WiFi ... but it's a decent size and it's been getting good reviews.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take a look at that. WiFi is pretty high on the list though of requirements...for simplicity of not having to connect another device to monitor food temps remotely.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Have had my RecTec for a few months now and really like it. WiFi is included.

+1 on the Chimp. When my Traeger Scout dies (and I am having trouble with it - it won't hold low temps. I set it at 225, it runs at 300 - I am talking with Traeger about it), I will probably get a Chimp.

Comment

I think after owning a Memphis you're not going to be as happy with some of your choices, espeically the Treagers and the Louisiana Grills. Some of those models are tin cans, check them out before you buy. Anything looks good until you own it and cook on it for a couple of years. You mentioned the P&S, I've had their older model for 2 1/2 years now and it's a tank. 1/4" steel converted stick burner with a heavy gage rolled SS top. I do wish I had their newer controller but the PID model I have has worked flawlessly. If it were me I'd also consider the stainless steel MAK line.

Anyway everyone on here is going to have an opinion. Pellet cookers have a loyal following. For me the biggest drawback is the lack of a strong smoke profile, but that's a totally different topic that I'm not even going to get into. Good luck with your choice whatever it may be. For me, the more cookers the better, I can't believe you're selling them off.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        At this point, I have no plans to spend Memphis, MAK, PnS kind of money on a cooking device again.

I've actually had 3 Traegers over the years and had few complaints about them, I just was always thinking I needed bigger or better because of the way everyone talks about Memphis, MAK, Cookshack, etc. The Memphis was built well, but it the end a huge disappointment and buyers remorse the entire time I had it. For it's price I can buy 4 Traegers, Webers, RecTecs, Grillas, or more.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        ...and if I sell each of those 4 for 50% of what I buy them for after a couple years I can buy 8 grills over 15 years for the price of one high end pit. If a Pitts and Spitts was found on a deal it might be borderline though, but a MAK would be over 3K again how I wanted it setup.
        Last edited by glitchy; September 25, 2019, 03:35 PM.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I hope my comments didn’t sound unappreciative...I do appreciate the feedback on the P&S. It’s definitely one I am still considering, it’s just at the very top of the budget. I was just trying to explain where I’m at n my thought process.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here