Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Outdoors Grills (restoration question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Outdoors Grills (restoration question)

I picked up an aluminum Great Outdoors Grill Company gas grill for free on LET GO. I grabbed it because it is all aluminum and sort of retro looking with the pedestal type stand.
    My plans is to spray a coat or two of high heat paint on it and add two large wheels on one side so it can be carted through the yard and hidden.

I mainly started this thread to post pictures and stuff, but I have some questions too.

I have gutted all of the gas components and I plan to use the lava rock shelf as a charcoal grate. I plan to use fire bricks in the center of the charcoal grate to make a two zone barrier (until slow n sear makes me a custom piece).
    Those of you that are still with me are wondering "but sir, how will you control air flow to your charcoal with all of those holes on the bottom of the grill."
    I am going to cover the holes. I plan to use some metal filler that I found on amazon, or I have considered cutting small pieces of metal and using high heat adhesive to adhere/seal the metal over the holes. Then I have two holes on either side of the lid to cover and this thing will be pretty tight.

Now, what I need from you all are some ideas. I would like to use some of the wholes on the bottom as dampers. I need ideas for making my own intake dampers. What materials are food safe? How well is my high heat sealant idea going to work? I will post pictures later today or tomorrow. Just wanted to start this while I was thinking about it.

I believe this is the model, but looks just like it if not. I think with a little effort and can make this into a nice charcoal smoker with a PK type airflow.

Comment

This is the metal filler I am considering.
      Attached Files

Comment

This one should be bigger. You can see the holes in the bottom of the chamber.
        Attached Files

Comment

Gas grills are notoriously leaky by design. The lids on these things are normally not even close to airtight, and there is the slot for the rotisserie to worry about too. If the metal filler you mention does not say heat safe and food safe, I would not use it.

Maybe try putting some paper in the grill and light it. Then quickly close the lid and watch where the smoke leaks out. If you think you can seal all the leaks, go ahead and git 'er done.

Also, make sure none of the metal parts you use to seal the cooker are galvanized. Heating galvanized metal out gasses unhealthy fumes.
          Last edited by RonB; September 16, 2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup +1

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here