Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to buy??? Stick Burner vs Charcoal vs Pellet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d look into Stumps gravity fed cabinet smokers. If I ever win the lottery, that’s what I’m going to buy.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Mixon has a nice one as well

Welcome to the Pit. I have no experience with the cabinet or stick cookers. From what I read that is the direction most are sending you, especially the cabinet type. That being said I have a YS640 and love it. It is probably to small so look at the YS1500 if you want a pellet cookers. Just my $0.01.

Comment

My .02

figure how much you have to cook at one time. Call Ben Lang, and order the next size up.

Comment

My $.02, as a fellow WSM owner I would focus on something that uses charcoal. With charcoal you have a high density fuel that offers a constant burn rate when wanted, but is also versatile when needed.

Someone with more experience please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you would need to move a far more wood with you then charcoal. Plus each batch of wood would burn differently then the last. Not bad for home use, but would be an unwanted variable in competition.

In regards to pellets, don’t get me wrong, they’re great for set it and forget it cooking but I think it would be harder to experiment with them on your next "new championship XXXX" if you know what I mean. Then you have to worry about electricity, a generator and a backup generator. I learned a long time ago as a tech diver, two is one and one is none.

Comment

I don’t compete so take this with a grain of salt...
          The BIG advantages of charcoal is the consistency AND the fact that it’s readily available year round. And once a cooker is dialed in, it’s nearly set & forget. And it’s a cheap fuel source.

Stick burners are nice but keeping them fed may or may not be an issue depending on where you are. Here in SoCal I only know of one place that regularly stocks wood. So that’s less than convenient...and depending on the sizes will be inconsistent. Not to mention that it WILL require much more babysitting.

I’m not a huge fan of pellets cookers. My father’s is the only one I’ve ever used, so I clearly have limited experience. I ALWAYS add a smoke tube, otherwise it’s just too light for my liking. It also requires a power source... Most of the parks & places that host contests don’t have power...and certainly not unlimited power when they do. So that means a generator. One more thing to lug around, one more link in the chain, and one more potential breakdown.

If I were competing, or still catering, I think I would go with an arsenal of WSMs. Cheap, relatively light weight, easy to control, and multiples for bigger cooks or variety won’t break the bank. I don’t think it’s any wonder why guys like Harry Soo love ‘em.

Comment

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            The more I learn about all of this the more I’m amazed the other manufacturers are able to stay in business. Price, quality, versatility, ease of use, nothing comes close. Add a cheap fan controller and you have everything covered. Best part, if something should happen to the controller in the middle of a cook, no big deal.

Thanks for the input, everyone!!! I still haven't made up my mind but I am seriously leaning towards a cabinet smoker. I have a couple of WSM's and am comfortable with charcoal and wood chunks. I also enjoy my Traeger but there seems to be a noticeable difference in the smoke flavor of the end product. I really love the taste from my WSM's.

I am pretty sure that the stick burner is out. Not because of the amount of tending that it would require. It has more to do with the availability of wood in my area and the storage space needed for it. I might have to find a smaller stick burner just to play with. I really enjoy tending a cook, tinkering with a vent here and there, watching the smoker. I love being outside when I'm smoking, just something relaxing where I can sit in my driveway, enjoy a drink, maybe a cigar and watch the world go by. So darn satisfying!!!

Thanks again all!!!!!

Comment

I went to my first KCBS 10 years ago with just my WSM 22 and cooked all 4 meats on it. I've been doing comps ever since and have used all types of smokers (cabinets, WSM, drums, pellet, and stick burners). In my opinion, a cabinet smoker (I use a Humphrey's) with an automated temperature controller will be your best option using it in conjunction with your existing WSM and Traeger. At comps, the timing/temps of your cook is really important so you need to make sure you have a sound plan for all your meats. Our team will typically use a WSM, 2 Humphrey's, a Gateway Drum and a RecTec pellet grill during a comp. The RecTec is used to keep food warm or set a glaze and sometimes to cook chicken. Lately, I've been using my WSM to hang ribs in a setup similar to a drum and the last 3 results were top 10 finishes. Anyway, good luck with your decision and first competition.

Comment

I use a Yoder loaded Durango 20", and I love it. There is something to be said for the purist natural method. Plus I cut my own wood and season it, so it is a whole process that my family enjoys. Then there is the meat and the cooking fun. You have to be actually engaged through the whole cook! no set it and forget it, that's cheating. Plus the smoke ring, and the flavors seal the deal. Plus you can use direct charcoal in it as well in the main cooking chamber, so it can be dual purpose.

Comment

Just scrapped my last 10 yr old gaser. and I am looking for a good one that has a spot for chips or pellets via using a tube. I had to add heavy grates or a griddle/skillet to get a good finish to my stakes. Everything else comes off great but but my GMG uses a lot of pellets on a long session.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here