Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A terrible confession, what I gave away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A terrible confession, what I gave away.

I was just thinking about this.

Years and years ago, like 1991 or so, I won a Weber Smokey Mountain, the 18” one, in a sales contest. Well, back then I was just past just married, had a new born, had just bought a house, and then had a heart attack (37 years old) and 4x bypass surgery. The WSM got put aside, covered up and stuck under the deck. I was not really into it. I had a gas grill. I couldn’t use a WSM on a wooden deck.

Several cheap gassers came and went. A Member’s Mark from Sam’s lasted the longest, probably 10 years. That was a decent cheap grill, actually, but by this time, 2010 or so, the internet had got me curious about the Big Green Egg. And, in 2011, I got a BGE.

Now keep in mind: I have a 20 year old 18” WSM that has been covered, and never used. Not once.

So, somehow I was telling a friend, and a friend of that friend (whom I also knew, peripherally) saw a picture and asked me what i was going to do with that WSM in the background, and I answered, "I don’t know. I’ve never used it. If you want it, you can have it."

And he drove from New Jersey to NEPA. the pan in the bottom had been full of water off and on for 20 years, and was rusted, but all the rest of it was perfect.

Now I’m not sure which was worse: giving it away, or having it for 20 years and never using it. I’m fine with everything. I wouldn’t have wanted to go up and down steps with the food. With a BGE, and now a kettle, I wouldn’t need a WSM. But still.

We all have things in our past. You are now absolved my son. 😊

Comment

Oh well another person will get some use from it.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly what I thought at the time, and what I think now.

Confession is good for the soul! BUT, this is a tough crowd, you may have been better off keeping that to yourself 😂😂😂 I love 18” WSM.

Comment

Get a rope!

Comment

i traded a samurai sword my Grandfather captured on Okinawa In WWII for a Colt Peacemaker knock-off when I was 17. Needless to say, when I got a bit older my conscience consumed me over this and I began to search for the friend I'd made the swap with. I found him just as he had returned from India where he had spent years working with Mother Theresa in Calcutta, India and had divested himself of worldly possessions, including my Grandfather's sword. So don't feel too bad, brother.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Ouch. I have deep seller's remorse over my 50's Chevy trucks, but one mistake I've never made, nor will, is parting with the 1956 Ford F100 my father bought new.

I gave up a girlfriend to a roommate one time. Never could get her back

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Could be, or could be just an ex-roommate. ;-)

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            But at least he WAS a roommate....I knew him when .....

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            You clearly have stronger feelings for Aaron Franklin, and rightly so, so I'd write the gf off

Certainly that was much better then just throwing it out. Someone has a nice cooker and a story on how he scored said cooker.

Comment

Let him/her among us who is without such sin cast the first briquette. I too have given or sold too cheaply more than one cooker I wish I still had😩🤣.

Comment

U have confessed and you have absolution
              now go buy another one !!!!!

Comment

Glad it’ll get some use. My 18” WSM (with upgrades) is probably my favorite cooker.

Comment

We have all done stuff we regret.

I inherited a whole bunch of Craftsman hand tools from the 50’s and 60’s from a neighbor while I was in high school. This was in the late 80’s.

Instead of looking at them as a piece of history, I looked at them as old junky tools. I took the whole bunch of them
                  down to Sears and got all brand new hand tools.

I really wish I would have kept them because I’m sure they would be worth quite a pretty penny now.

Comment

There's no sense fretting about the past since you can't change it anyway. Just be happy for the WSM that it's been released from its under-the-deck purgatory and is now living up to its full potential.

Comment

No confession needed. You finally came around and gave that WSM the life it deserves. Rehomed Webers are sometimes the best Webers.

Comment

I have mixed thoughts on the matter. At first I thought who gives a rip. You had it fer twenty years & didn’t use it. Second, yer a master at the Egg. There you & us’ns are the benefactors. Nuthin lost I say. Hope the WSM is makin good Q.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                          HouseHomey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Damn. That 2nd sentence.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here