Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shuffling the deck....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuffling the deck....

Well, I’ve decided to downsize somewhat. Sold the GMG pellet grill on Craigslist. MCS has taken hold and I’m fairly certain a WSCG for $1,100 is a good deal even if the cooking grates are corroded(display model exposed to chlorine in the air in the showroom). I have a 26 “ Weber, a PBC, jumbo joe, and an M1.
    Dont think I can resist the MCS much longer, hoping that I’ll eventually sell one of my current grills if I bring home the WSCG. Any sage advice or encouragement is greatly appreciated. I’m going to see the grill today to investigate the "corrosion" firsthand. No idea which one I’d sell though, since I love them all.

I would step back and ask myself a few questions and then base my decisions on those answers. First what is your primary grilling style and quantity? Grilling, low and slow, roasting, baking, pizza? Cook for 2, 4, 6, or more? Second, what are your secondary or occasional needs in regard to style, location, and volume? Finally, what does your space, budget, and time to take care of extra grills dictate? Happy shopping.

Comment

Not to be re-hashing the sale, but just curious why you decided to get rid of your pellet grill? The WSCG is a cooking machine, but to be honest, with fan control you can make that 26" kettle do almost the same thing. I'm with LA Pork Butt, you may want to step back and look at your needs versus your wants.

Comment

• Butchman
        Butchman commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I rarely used the pellet grill and it was taking up space in my garage. I want the WSCG and if I get one then I won’t need the 26” anymore. I think you and LA Pork Butt have solved my dilemma.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        Butchman let us know what you are thinking and your decision.

I'm sorry that I can't offer too much sage advice. If I had the funds, and the okay from the CFO, I would get the WSCG in heartbeat. Then I would worry about what to sell later. But that is coming from someone who has 5 grills already. I would probably sell either the PBC or the 26" kettle.

Comment

So after seeing the grill it appears the lower grates for charcoal have oxidized or turned a reddish rust color.
        The cooking grates are pristine. Do you think the oxidation will burn off or can be scraped off?
        Other than that the grill looks great and they want $1100 for it. Will it fit through the front door fully assembled?

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Cooking grates aren't that expensive but at the end of the day it's going to have red hot charcoal on it so what's the difference. I think all my cooking grates end up rusting to some extent, who cares?

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said. Get a replacement, or just leave it. It’s just gonna hold glowing charcoal anyway.

We have a new family member on the deck! Click image for larger version

Name:	C2907AA3-A5C2-4542-8056-F90378645130.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	711311

Comment

Given the description and hype, seems like the M1 should have had you covered. Any reasons why not?

Comment

I love them both, and I like to cook on different grills depending on the weather and how I’m feeling.
            For instance this time of year it rains everyday and for those days I’ll be using my Weber because it won’t rust. The M1 is too big and heavy to move under truss every time it begins to rain. I think moving forward I want to use that grill more for stickburning. It’s easy to roll the Weber out of the rain if needed.

Comment

she's a beauty - you're gonna love it.

Comment

• Butchman
                Butchman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes sir thanks!

Nice addition to the family.

Comment

• Butchman
                Butchman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you

Congrats on th new addition to yer Family, Brother!

Comment

• Butchman
                Butchman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Brother!

So, I was able, barely, to fit the grill through the front door by turning it sideways and pulling it inside by lifting by the legs and opening the lid simultaneously. For a minute there I thought I might have to remove the front door from the hinges. Cooked chicken leg quarters last night and they came out great!
              Now I just need to hook up the propane tank and get a good safe grill scraper/cleaner and maybe a grill cover. Can’t wait to cook ribs and brisket on this 👶

Comment

Nice! Great pick up!

Comment

A fine choice. Enjoy!

But...you WILL need a cover...if for no other reason than to hide it from the other grills that will no doubt become jealous and beat the bejeabus out of it in the middle of the night. LOL (I keep all my cookers covered for just that reason.)

Comment

• Butchman
                    Butchman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    surfdog trying to decide it the Weber cover is worth the $64 price or if the amazon option at half the price is just as good. Duh, I can’t believe I even need to wrestle with that question. I don’t think my cover needs to say Weber lol.

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Butchman I got mine at Home Depot for like 32 bucks... It says "Ravenna" on it but it's not as dark as it looks online.
                    I got it specifically because I DIDN'T want it to scream WEBER on the side.

First, I'm not a brand snob...as with guitars, I don't care what name is on the headstock so long as it plays well. I also didn't want somebody peaking over the fence seeing a $2k grill sitting there...next to another $2K+ grill...plus all the rest. Make 'em work for it. LOL
                    Last edited by surfdog; July 12, 2019, 08:21 PM. Reason: Clarity

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, and FWIW...while Classic Accessories claims it's for the WSCGC...it's seems more like a generic kamado w/ cart cover.
                    It works a treat...but a couple of the straps clearly weren't designed for this grill. They're not needed, but just wanted to point that out.

You're going to love cooking on that WSCG, Butchman . You'll be looking for excuses to fire it up. Congrats on that great new toy.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Will do, CaptainMike.

Butchman, keep your peepers peeled, I'll get those directions copied and pasted soon. You may find them useful, but if you don't it won't hurt my feelings.

K.
                    Last edited by fzxdoc; July 12, 2019, 12:37 PM.

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Butchman the lady has a PhD in physics and her lighting procedure is fantastic and foolproof!

• Butchman
                    Butchman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you CaptainMike !

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here