Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill/smoker recommendations for a noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not grab a 22" Weber Kettle from craigslist and use that long enough to know what your upgrade path should be? Don't bother with a SnS or anything other than maybe some cheap charcoal baskets (if that). You don't need anything else but you will eventually want something else.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Certainly, a reasonable approach, as well as an educational, an a formative one, outdoor cookin wise...
      Both thumbs up, here...

• Livermoron
      Livermoron commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to suggest a Weber Kettle + SnS and PBC, but this is an even more prudent approach. The kettle is well made and affordable & after some cooks you'll likely have a better idea on how you want to proceed on your journey...

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      This is sound advice and definitely the most cost effective way to go. After cooking on it a while you'll figure out what you want, i.e. upgrades/perks etc. Maybe convenience of pellets, maybe the real estate of a Hasty Bake or maybe the steadiness of kamado style cookers....

Get a Weber 22, learn on it, and then move up if you want. And you will still have the kettle.

I got my Performer Platinum after I had my BGE for five years. I use it twice as much as the BGE. It is emphatically not a step down, or back. The Platinum scores for the table and the gas start: worth it, IMO.

Do not be deluded. Results talk. Not price. Not appearance. All the food knows is how it tastes.

Comment

PK360 owner here. With the rock solid temps thanks to thick cast aluminum & advanced simple design it would be a great cooker for a noob. It wont rust & performs well in the wind and cold without leaks.

I'd only steer clear if you're a rib fanatic. Due to the limited space you have to cut them down, stand them up & move them around during the cook. I'd rather lay them out flat for easy spritzing & saucing. Results are fine because you can lock in 225 and since I only cook them occasionally it's not a big issue.

You can get great results with all the cookers you mentioned. However, you should be asking what are the negatives of each and see what you can live with. My list of PK negatives (but mostly minor)...

- Limited cooking space (similar to 22" kettle.)
      - Needs higher sided charcoal basket that can hold more briq's.
      - Clean-up issues (ash collects in nooks & crannies that you have to sweep out with a brush) and especially if windy sometimes all the ash doesnt fall into the bucket.
      - During storage moisture can seep through the top vents.
      - Some don't like the skinny base. If you have parties with hyper kids or large pets running around some are concerned about it tipping over. This is not an issue for me, the base is solid enough if cooking by yourself.

With all that said, there are so many positives and due to the versatility I don't have "MCS"...I've bought zero other cookers since my PK purchase. The only thing I might consider someday is a small barrell cooker for ribs and chicken, but I can live without.

You might like this video - PK cooking in the snow...

Last edited by Larry Grover; June 21, 2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. My suggestion would be a Weber kettle from craigslist. That could be well under $100. Then add a Slow N Sear. That will get you started fer cheap and allow you to cook just about anything. Then, if you enjoy using it, you can get really serious.

BTW, no matter what you get you will need a serious digital thermometer and a leave in digital thermometer with at least two probes so you can monitor meat and cooker temps.

Comment

I am a Weber guy, been using kettles and wsm’s for years. Kettle with sns is an awesome tool. That being said, I think you can’t lose with any of the choices on your list.

Comment

I love my 26” Weber kettle. Add the SnS and you’ve got a pretty darn versatile grill/smoker. Then if you have room add a PBC and that’s pretty much all you really need. Well that is until the MCS hits you!!

Comment

sashav133 The Meadow Creek PG is a smaller version of their PR series with shelves. As the Patio Grill name indicates, it is meant to be a simple, patio friendly outdoor cooker.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and your soon to be new cooker(s).

IMHO Every household in the United States should at least have a Weber Kettle set up with a Slow n Sear.( SnS)

All of the cookers you mentioned are good choices. But at least have a kettle with it.

Thats just MHO.

Comment

So... I've not used the other stuff... just an old Weber 22" kettle and the SNS. And... it's fine. I can do 4-8 hour smokes just fine without fuss and could likely get things to go longer if I was more obsessive.

You can add a partyQ etc for more stable temps with less attention but honestly, unless you're doing very long cooks, I don't know that I'd spend the money. Before that kind of thing I'd spend for a good thermometer so you can know what's happening (I have a maverick 733 but there are other, newer options).

All of that to say that my vote goes to a Weber+SNS combo while you figure out what grilling and smoking you really want to do.

I mean, it sounds fun to do a full packer brisket and for something like that you might need 12-18 hours... but that's a lot of meat and unless you're feeding people at a party, probably way too much for a small group of 1-4 people (smoke a chuck roast instead for smaller groups). And if you want to do a brisket on the Weber you CAN.... it's just going to be less convenient than, say, a Rec-tec or other good quality pellet grill and if you only do it 1-2x a season I don't know the the convenience is worth the trade offs in price and capability.

My longest cooks are pork butts and the 3-4lbs take under 8 hours, usually in the 5-6 range and I can't see much of a reason to upgrade from the Weber+SNS combo for these uses.

PS: If you want to grill small quick stuff (burgers, etc) grab a little Smokey Joe or an inexpensive gas grill for that.
                  Last edited by rickgregory; June 22, 2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

My recommendation for a single set up is always the Weber 26” plus slow-n-sear. Can easily smoke a spatchcocked turkey, full packer brisket, or a few racks or ribs. Lots is surface area for two zone grilling as well.

Very hard to beat this in cost/cook volume.

Add s a fan and controller and you can make it set and forget for half a dozen hours at a time.

Also the Weber summit charcoal grill is nice but will run you twice that.

Comment

• Smoking77
                      Smoking77 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ​​​​​Without having to refill the charcoal, how long of a cook have you done with this setup?

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      5-7 hours typical running at 275F. Maybe 2-4 hours at 325F.
                      Of course reloading during the cook is easy so it’s not super critical.

• Smoking77
                      Smoking77 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! Looking to get this setup. Have a WSM 18 but want more capacity.

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Gentlemen,
                      I think I will start with the Weber Performer.
                      The general consensus was that this is the grill to learn on and make mistakes.
                      I can't argue with that sentiment.
                      Once I'm proficient and know what to do, then I can upgrade to whatever suits me best at that time.

Also, Weber kettle has an absolutely terrifying amount of after-market accessories--there is even a Santa Maria Grill Attachment from Gabby’s Grills. And rotisserie! Whoda thunk it...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Red Man
                        Red Man commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sounds like an excellent choice to me!

• AverageJoe
                        AverageJoe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good choice to start with. I am looking at adding one to my arsenal this summer. I want to get the SNS combo though at about the same time so saving a bit up for the whole kit-n-kaboodle

• au4stree
                        au4stree commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Fantastic choice. You will love the versatility of this cooker. They have it figured out. Check out the SnS products, the SnS 2.0 and the drip and griddle would be my advice. Might consider the easy spin grate, simply because I don't like the weber gourmet grate.

Follow-up question--should I get the old model or new? Are there any advantages to the old model?

Here's the old model:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Do NOT buy this one!

This guy is quirky for sure, but for whatever reason I find his grilling videos entertaining.....

Comment

welcome.
                          so instead of the HastyBake I would look at the M1 grill. Instead of the weber kettle I would look at the weber summit kamado style cooker. Being your first cooker get a good one . these are considerable upgrades. Also consider a Primo.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here