Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I NEED another smoker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today was the first cook. As I said above, I had a little hunk of Brisket. Someday I'm going to have to do a full packer brisket, and it might be for my installation. I promised I would smoke something. Pulled pork would be easier, but the brisket might be more impressive.

At the start. Looks puny in that big cavern.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_083626.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	712009

After 6 hours at 225 it was at about 180 internal, and I wrapped it. 1.5 to 2 hours later it was 203 internal, and I turned the grill down to 180. Left it there another 1.5 hours, and then took it out after about 15 minutes, I sliced it.

Name:	20190711_175544.jpg
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	712010

Name:	20190711_180050.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	712011

Name:	20190711_180300.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	712012

It was bendy enough it almost broke hanging over my finger.

Name:	20190711_180320.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	712013

Have to let my wife do something, or she thinks I don't need her. Carrots, potatoes and salad were her's.

Name:	20190711_181331.jpg
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	712014

I thought the Gridiron did a great job. So did the Fireboard, once the seller remembered to delete it from his account (after I reminded him). My wife was very impressed.

My only frustration is the wifi on the Gridiron. The phone ap (android) is supposed to have a "settings" button on the top right of the page. Mine doesn't. The "Grill Temp" is stuck on 91 F, Grill Setpoint OFF, and the Probe Temp is stuck on 999 F, Probe Setpoint OFF, and on the bottom of the page it says the Ignitor is OFF and it is stuck on Sunday, July 7 2019, when I bought it. I've tried to reset it to default. I have not yet tried the PC method of setting it, but from what I have read on the Roanoke site, it almost seems more like it is not connecting to the controller/grill. Anybody have any suggestions before I start calling for help? If the wifi doesn't work, not the worst. More concerned about the smoker and the Fireboard.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Sublime Sir.

Figured out the GI wifi. I figured it was an issue of setting it back to the default, and yesterday I missed a step in accomplishing that. Once I did that, the rest of it went the way the directions describe. Controls the grill just the way it's supposed to.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      And prayer☺

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg, I'm a big believer in new starts and fresh beginnings!

Last year we had started having pizza once a week, baked in the Grilla. Winter and moving disrupted our pattern. Finally made pizza again yesterday, and cooked it in the Grid Iron. Normally, whether using a regular oven or grill/smoker, I put in the stone and let it all heat up to 450-500 degrees. Started up the GI, set it on 500, and went back inside and was working on the pizza. The four Fireboard probes (2 ambient, 1 standard food and 1 competition food) were all in the chamber, and when I checked to see how the temp was doing, they were running from 550 (ambient probes) to 695 . Went out and turned the smoker down to 450, which brought the temps down to the 500 range that I was looking for. I thought pellet smokers didn't get hot enough to sear?! I had not picked up the sear kit when I was in St. Louis (forgot, when I was picking up a few other accessories). OTOH, with temps like that, my Grill Grates will probably be good enough without it. BTW, here's a picture of the pizza, turned out great. Took about 5 minutes to bake.

Name:	20190715_185545.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	714933

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      It probably could have gone a couple more minutes, but the bottom was browning the way we like it.

Installation in my new location finally took place this past Sunday. As I mentioned earlier (months ago) in this thread, I had promised the churches I would smoke something for the meal following that event. I'm just going to put a couple of pictures here, and my impression of the Grid Iron from my first big cook. Unfortunately, it was a very busy day, and taking pictures was not my highest priority, so all I got was a picture of six pork butts in the cooker at 11 pm Saturday night, and warmed up leftovers on Monday.

Name:	20190928_232652.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	750209Click image for larger version

Name:	20190930_123727.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	750210

So if anyone was wondering how six 8-10 lb pork butts fit on a Blaz'n Grills Grid Iron, there you have it. I bought this cooker so I could do bigger cooks, and it worked out great. I also threw on a 3 lb. beef rolled roast at 7 am, for the folk who either don't like or can't have pork. In the bottom picture the beef is on the left, pork on the right.

The butts were dry brined Saturday morning, also gave them a coating of Memphis Dust. Added a little extra Dust after they were in the smoker, to fill in where it had rubbed off. Grid Iron was set at 225. The butt at top center (along with the rest of them) had been in the refrigerator defrosting since Wednesday. The rest of them were 8-9 lbs, that one was over 10 lb. When I put them on the smaller butts had an internal temp in the high 30s. That big one was just a hair over 28. It was a good 10 degrees behind the others through the whole cook. The beef roast (think it was a bottom round), just got salt, pepper and garlic powder.

I went with pulled pork/beef rather than the brisket I had thought about because I still had a worship service on Sunday morning, with the installation in the afternoon at 3 pm, with the meal following. Nothing (that I have cooked) is more flexible and forgiving than pork butt, so that was the decision. I had a few people hoping for brisket, but I told them they'd have to keep me around for a while, and sometime when it isn't quite as hectic I'd do the brisket.

Got home from church about 11, and I started pulling, wrapping and putting butts in the cooler as they hit 203. By 12:30 the only 2 pieces of meat left on the cooker were that big butt (still only at about 190) and the beef roast. I wrapped those, kicked up the Grid Iron to 300, and by 1:30 everything was in the cooler. A little before 2 I pulled the beef roast at home and put it in a crock pot with a little beef broth.

Took it and all the pork next door to the church, and started pulling and filled a roaster and a half with pork. As you can see, I like to leave the pork in fairly big pieces. I had brought a bottle of apple juice, just in case it looked like the pork might be dry. Never opened it. Even now, warming up leftovers, it's very juicy.

Not a huge crowd, installations used to be a big draw, and now its hard to get people out on a Sunday afternoon, even other pastors. So it was hard to know how many to be ready for. We fed about 60, and came home with an ice cream bucket of pulled pork leftovers. Lots of people went back for seconds, or thirds. They told my wife it was really good, but they didn't want to tell me, because they wanted me to keep practicing. Actually, I did have a lot of people tell me how good it was.

As far as the Blaz'n Grill, I'm very pleased. Held temp well. It wasn't frigid, but it was down in the 50's, and raining when I started. I had finally got around to putting the hood insulator on earlier on Saturday. While it wasn't actually necessary, the wifi on the grill was handy, because I could adjust the temp while I was trying to get that last butt up to temp without leaving the living room, when it wasn't all that nice outside. It easily held the six butts, and the beef roast. If needed, as the picture shows, I could have easily fit a couple more on.

I monitored the internal temps with the Fireboard. Used one probe overnight in the ambient temp, so I could catch it if something wasn't working, in the morning I changed probes so I had probes in six different pieces of meat. I did find out that when inserting Fireboard probes in the rain, standing in water, you are grounded. The Fireboard is in the weatherproof box, but inserting the probes, and keeping them dry while doing so, was a challenge.

My biggest problem was that I finished pulling the pork at about 2:20, and the other pastors were starting to gather. Pulling all that 200 degree, steaming pork, I needed some time to cool down. Might let my son do the pulling next time.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing. Sounds like everything went to plan and all's good.
      Good job Sir.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Gee and I thought Sunday was a day of rest pastor

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman You gotta be kidding, everyone knows that preachers only work that one hour on Sunday morning.

I do hope you get settled in your now surroundings quickly. I'm no help on a pellet rig though.
    I do have one thought - a common saying about boats is the two happiest days dealing with a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it...

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      This year getting two houses up and running took all of my time. That's almost done, and so next year we hope to get more relaxation in. Including fishing. I only want a little fishing boat, so I'm hoping the headaches will also be small.

"I need a New Smoker!"

Don't we all!!!!! LOL!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here