Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In defense of MCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In defense of MCS

Now, if you can hook up my handle with what I’ve posted in the past, you might think that I’ve flipped my lid, or at least flipped my position on MCS. I haven’t. For me, there really is no point in getting more cookers. I have two. There is nothing another cooker can do for me that I can’t do with the ones I have.

HOWEVER.

That does not mean that more cookers are pointless. It does not mean that more cookers cannot be rationalized... justified. Hear me out.

You are eating a fixed number of meals. More cookers doesn’t mean you are going to eat more meals. Just because you have a gasser, a kettle, a kamado, a PBC, and a pellet grill doesn’t mean you are going to eat eleven times a day. We aren’t hobbits eating second breakfasts.

But, what that does mean is that every meal cooked on one tool saves wear and tear on the other tools! Start with that range inside. Okay, how can you justify getting a nice outdoor gasser? Simple: every meal cooked outside on the gasser is a cycle saved on the rangetop, or in the oven! So instead of that oven lasting 10 years, it should now last 20! (And of course, a nice gasser costs a lot less than a nice range, and you got it at today’s price instead of the price 10 years from now.)

And then, for only a bit more you can get the kettle. It’s cheaper than a gasser, and simple to maintain, and honestly it should last a lifetime. And it will pay for itself by reducing the number of times you will have to replace the innards on the gasser.

Thats the simple, irrefutable economics of it all. At the very least you can justify... strike that.

At the very least it doesn’t make economic sense to have fewer than two outdoor cookers.

Now if you want to go beyond that, well, that is for those more adventurous than I am. But all great thoughts start with a simple thought.

I like your thinking. I have two motorized boats, 2 canoes, and two grills. If I get one more of each, it should increase the life span of the older ones by 33%. Even better, the new ones should increase their lifespan by 200%. Wow!

That is my kind of math!

Comment

I want to be a master of any and all cookers. In fact I want to be a master cook with no cooker maybe just some rocks on the river side and 2 sticks to start the fire. So I'll dabble in everything until I feel I am. That means getting new cookers and cookware and learning the ropes on them. Call it MCS if you must I call it a way of life.
      Last edited by Attjack; June 12, 2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I may never get there but that's not what it's about. MCS4EVER

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Not many things top a great learning experience. That's why I'm always looking into new options and directions, with this hobby and others as well.

Kathryn

I'll be right back.....I need to go write a post defending second breakfasts.....

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Just refer to the first one as pre-breakfast.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        ...or priming the pump.

K.

There is something zen like about this post.

Comment

Originally posted by xaugievike View Post
        I'll be right back.....I need to go write a post defending second breakfasts.....
        I have two breakfasts every day. Without fail!

Comment

Now: 22.5" Weber Kettle (with Slow N Sear, FireBoard & Pit Viper), Ooni Koda (propane) pizza oven and a fire pit in my back yard that we cook over sometimes

Future: A real nice pellet grill (maybe...still undecided), build a cinder block pit for whole hogs and a build a small smokehouse with separate firebox so I can cold smoke. Then I'll be set...haha

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
            Now, if you can hook up my handle with what I’ve posted in the past, you might think that I’ve flipped my lid, or at least flipped my position on MCS. I haven’t. For me, there really is no point in getting more cookers. I have two. There is nothing another cooker can do for me that I can’t do with the ones I have.

HOWEVER.
            You can't spell Mosca without MCS.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here