Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could pick one cooker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you could pick one cooker...

Let’s say for a minute that you could only have one cooker (I know, a terrible thought). Those that have MCS will struggle with this. But for the sake of a little fun, what is your absolutely have to have it cooker, can’t do without it. I’d be interested in where y’all land on this and why you’d choose that one cooker. Money is no object in this scenario.

For me, it would be my PK360. It is built like a tank and affords me precise temp control, portability, great customer service and lots of accessories. Not to mention 2-zone cooking is a breeze. This thing excels at L&S and H&F, just an all around great cooker. Lastly it will last long after I’m gone.

I have a WSCGC, PBC Jumbo Joe and PK360.
    Last edited by au4stree; June 6, 2019, 09:48 AM. Reason: Updated to add if $$ was no object.

Weber kettle with thermostatically controlled fan. Can do it all consistently.

Comment

I have a PK360 too. And I have an offset. PK offers more possibilities for daily smokes, but offset has a bigger capacity. I'd go with the offset.
      Last edited by mrteddyprincess; June 6, 2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Kalamazoo Hybrid! Nothing else would be needed.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to google this brand and WOW, those are some nice cookers.....

Tough call. If I have access to charcoal and AA batteries, it would have to be my Weber Performer with SNS, DNG, Easyspin grate, Grillgrates, and the PartyQ. I can do anything on it, if it will fit.

If you strand me on a desert isle with one cooker, I think I want my 34 year old offset, as I can cook with whatever I can burn in either the firebox or on the slide in charcoal tray. Just be sure I have a gun, a sharp knife, ammo, and plenty of wild pigs if you strand me on an island like that though!

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great setup. Properly equipped kettle is hard to beat.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe a bow or crossbow and a knife with sharpening stone makes more sense in your latter scenario since you're worried about consumables.

My wife.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          Beat me to it.

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          This is quality content, well played.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          waa waa waa waa waaaaa ....

My Weber Ranch kettle will do anything I need it to do, so I'm going with that. SWMBO has been put on notice that "the spaceship", as she calls it is untouchable. All others are somewhat negotiable. 😃
        Last edited by Steve R.; June 6, 2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have the SnS on your rancher?

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          au4stree , a SnS RKE might be in my future at some point, but fire bricks do a good enough job for now. I did install a PartyQ adapter, though, and that combination works well for long cooks.
          Last edited by Steve R.; June 6, 2019, 06:39 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dc0cf4e5f35b11de7d024750db790635--komodo-grilling.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	690459Click image for larger version  Name:	155682769342 New SiteFront.jpg Views:	1 Size:	303.9 KB ID:	690458

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Awwww yeah!!!

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, you can fit a full grown human inside that kamado! I think I saw him use that on Project Smoke, and its a beast. That lid must be super heavy. It needs gas assist struts on it or something!

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. Me too.

A kamado of some kind. A kamado is stable in all kinds of weather - wind/rain/snow won't bother it which really helps if one grills year round and not just during the summer.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a hard time choosing my pk over the WSCGC, but portability won out in this scenario. Love my Summit

I am biased, but it would clearly be a Hasty Bake. I would buy another one tomorrow if this one wears out. It can do everything I need and then some.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic cooker!

My SnS Kamado. It's like my Kettle/SnS & BGE got together and had the perfect child.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          Great analogy

• Chuck in Charlotte
          Chuck in Charlotte commented
          Editing a comment
          That's why I always make sure my BGE has rubber gloves when it's hanging around with some attractive kettles.

I'm very happy with my Performer with SnS and controller.

Comment

A combination Komodo kamado/36 inch griddle/Napoleon prestige pro gas grill head with IR searing burners/4 side burner eyes/Santa Maria grill/brick wood fired pizza oven.

Since everything would be in one VERY large thing, technically counts as one right?

Comment

If I was stranded I would like it to be in the parking lot of my taqueria.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey paisano, I think you made a better choice than me. We both have our food cooked for us, but with yours you get to give the orders!

Whatever's clean that day

Comment

• au4stree
            au4stree commented
            Editing a comment
            Keep it simple, I like it.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Guess you won't be cooking in your shorts then, eh? ;-)

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            How do you think I choose my daily wardrobe?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here