Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a new cooker -- pellet smoker versus Weber Kettle 22"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You probably shouldn't listen to me because I'm a pure BBQ gadget junkie but... I did order this.. To add to my Webers..

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very very cool. I'll keep this in mind.

I have a 22" kettle and a 18.5" wsm, so between the 2 I can cook a lot at one time. That being said, when Huskee pulls my name in a couple of days, I will be hard pressed to choose between another charcoal machine and a pellet pooper. I like the pooper for overnight cooks, even though the wsm is pretty rock solid with and without my party q. Starting over, I would still go with the wsm. I love that little cooker.

I guess we will see which way the mcs winds are blowing when I win the next monthly drawing.

That wasn't much help - just me rambling along with a stream of consciousness thing or something...

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely helpful, thank you.

Also another thing to know is that it is hard to maintain low temps when the ambient temp is 90+ degrees outside for pellet cookers.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, thanks. I'm in Los Angeles, so it's never too hot. Probably 20 days above 90 degrees all year.

Attjack On your Weber 26, think you can get an 18-20 pound spatchcocked turkey on one side and the slow and sear on the other?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say yes. I've done a 15 pounder on a 22" kettle. The tips of the drumsticks were sticking out over the SNS, and I had to wrap them in foil. I made it work. I had two 20 pounders on the offset at the same time.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is extremely helpful. Just to double check, this was a 15# turkey, spatchcocked?

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep 15# spatchcocked in the 26 is no problem. Could probably fit more but then again the really big ones take longer to cook and are harder to cook evenly anyway.

20 lb packer brisket in the 26”.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0CE9DAF1-C732-489C-A410-DFF231A35341.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	690010

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect!

As my son noted above I have quite a few Webers and a Pitt Boss Tailgater pellet smoker. I also have a large vertical Oklahoma Joe, a 36 inch Blackstone griddle and a Hibachi. The pellet smoker is my most used cooker. Convenience, flavor, and temperature control are the reason why. I still use a couple of my Webers occasionally especially when cooking steaks, sausage, or seafood. Need the heat and searing ability of charcoal. If I could only keep one of my many cookers and if I would never cook for a large crowd I would choose my modified Weber Smokey Joe. Made a "Smokey mountain" add on for it so it serves as a wonderful high heat cooker for steaks, pizza, etc. As well as a dedicated smoker. Can't speak to the smoke n sear but the Smokenator for the Weber (reviewed on Amazing Ribs) makes a 22 inch Weber a great smoker.

Comment

I’ve just acquired all the stuff to smoke simply on my Performer but haven’t done it yet because the pellet grill is too easy. I’ve never had a stick burner, but my Pellet grills put as much smoke flavor on as my first gas and electric cabinet smokers did. I have noticed the pellets make a big difference. CookinPellets 100% hickory give the cleanest burn and most smoke flavor of anything I’ve tried.

I probably overlooked your budget, but what about a cheaper pellet grill and a 22” kettle with slow n sear. My first pellet grill was a Traeger Junior/Tailgater and you’d be surprised how much you can fit on it. A smaller packer or a couple butts pretty easy. Used pellet grills and Weber Kettles can be had pretty cheap on Craigslist or FB marketplace. Kettles in my area are often like $50. A coworker of mine has no controller and smokes just following the Slow ‘n Sear suggestions and has shown me some pretty impressive Fireboard graphs of steady temps. He just has to add charcoal and stir every 3-4 hours on long cooks.

I use my pellet grill a lot because it’s fast as easy. I’ve acquired the Slow ‘n Sear and Fireboard drive so I have a backup, overflow, and ability to do cooks at two different temps simultaneously since I’ve downsized to one pellet grill.

Comment

If you get a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill, you have the entire 24" space for Kamado cooking and can also use the Low-Profile SnS with it (if you can find a used one) or use the snake method in Kettle mode for smaller cooks. It's perfect either way.

You'd think that something built to be both a kettle and a kamado might have some shortcomings, but it's a great piece of BBQ equipment: portable, great quality build, and makes delicious food. I heart mine.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the help. About a month ago, I purchased the RecTec Stampede. Did a pork butt and short ribs on it (will post about that when I can), and I loved it. Used BBQr's Delight hickory pellets, and I thought the smoke profile was just enough for me. Did a few chickens with apple pellets, and I couldn't really taste the smoke, but that's okay. I'll stick with the hardwoods from now on. Considered getting the 26" Kettle with the SNS, but instead I just bought a medium Vortex for my 18 WSM. Smoke on the WSM using a fan controller, then wrap the meat, take apart the WSM, and add hot coals into the vortex and get a fantastic sear. Certainly not as efficient as getting a Kettle w/SNS, but until MCS hits me again, it'll do just fine.

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            As an FYI all fruit trees are hardwood.

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks pkadare!

Originally posted by Smoking77 View Post
          Thanks everyone for all the help. About a month ago, I purchased the RecTec Stampede. Did a pork butt and short ribs on it (will post about that when I can), and I loved it. Used BBQr's Delight hickory pellets, and I thought the smoke profile was just enough for me. Did a few chickens with apple pellets, and I couldn't really taste the smoke, but that's okay. I'll stick with the hardwoods from now on. Considered getting the 26" Kettle with the SNS, but instead I just bought a medium Vortex for my 18 WSM. Smoke on the WSM using a fan controller, then wrap the meat, take apart the WSM, and add hot coals into the vortex and get a fantastic sear. Certainly not as efficient as getting a Kettle w/SNS, but until MCS hits me again, it'll do just fine.
          Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking! I also have and enjoy my 26 kettle, but the pellet cooker definitely is my daily driver

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here