Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a new cooker -- pellet smoker versus Weber Kettle 22"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy a new cooker -- pellet smoker versus Weber Kettle 22"

Hi Everyone! Going to pull the trigger and buy a bigger smoker. Been working with a WSM 14" for a few years now, but looking for something bigger and different. I was doing my pellet research and like what I'm seeing. But then I started looking at a Kettle/Slow 'N sear combo. A couple questions:

1. I know pellets produce less smoke flavor at higher temps, but would there be a similar smoke profile at lower temps compared to my WSM (using a few wood chunks)?

2. If I bought a Kettle, I would also buy a Slow 'N Sear. If I could also add a CyberQ to that, I've basically made a set it and forget it smoker. Would there still be an advantage to getting a pellet smoker over the Kettle?

As always, thanks for everyone's help.

If you go the kettle route, consider the 26” and the XL slow n sear. (Or the summit charcoal grill) With a thermostatic controller, there isn’t much you can’t cook and it’s almost as set and forget. If you get a Wi-Fi controller, you can forget and have your phone remind you when you need more fuel etc.

Kettles with a controller can usually run at least 6 hours without tending, and you can also two zone grill and sear like crazy on them.

Pellets are fine too, so long as you have a separate searing system.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I know I'll be happy with either. Just wish I knew what I'd be happier with. I've never had food off a pellet smoker, so I have zero idea what it tastes like.

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      i agree. the one thing I don't like about my weber performer deluxe 22" is the same as with my lg BGE, and that's the lack of space. Its worse on the weber because the slow n sear actually takes up a good chunk of realestate, unless you are just searing.
      Otherwise I like it fine.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, you retain more space with a snake instead of a SNS.

1. 99% sure no way Jose. Charcoal & wood vs pellets won't be very comparable. Both good, sure, but not comparable.
    2. Still won't be SIFI, you'd still need to stir the coals at or near the 4-5hr mark and sweep ash. But that's relatively hands-off. Pellet smoker, depending on type, will hold more capacity.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I wish I could try them next to each other and see what I like better. Don't have the cash for that though.

I actually have and use both. Different types of cooks and capacities of course. Lately have used the Weber with SNS a lot for the missus and I, but have a big group to cook for on Saturday. Gonna limber up the Yoder YS640. Glad I have the option. The Weber was an inexpensive enough purchase while waiting for the Yoder, and has been very useful since.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      same here, we purchased the weber just to hold me quiet for awhile. We have a gasser, Lg BGE and the weber . but neither the weber 22 or BGE easily provide for larger cooks. So I am still considering a larger cooker even after the weber and slow n sear.

Originally posted by Texas Larry View Post
    I actually have and use both. Different types of cooks and capacities of course. Lately have used the Weber with SNS a lot for the missus and I, but have a big group to cook for on Saturday. Gonna limber up the Yoder YS640. Glad I have the option. The Weber was an inexpensive enough purchase while waiting for the Yoder, and has been very useful since.
    Texas Larry Thanks for the info. When do you prefer your Yoder over your weber?

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Besides for capacity, that is.

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoking77 The Yoder is a great cooker. It can sear very well despite what people often say about pellet cookers. (With the two piece diffuser and Grill Grates.) It produces a great smoke flavor at lower temps. I like it for longer cooks, esp. with more food than will fit on my Weber. It’s easy and a real joy to cook on. You do have to keep it clean between cooks.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. Decisions, decisions...

Dad, KenC52 should chime in. He has a flotilla of various Weber's (seriously, he has a problem), as well as a pellet popper. Uses both.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Smoking77 you will get more smoke with the kettle than the pellet smoker. I’ve got a Weber Performer Deluxe, with SNS and a PartyQ, and monitor cooks on my phone using my Smoke from Thermoworks. With the right charcoal I can get 10-12 hours unattended cook time at 225. I wanted a pellet cooker for a long time, but find my setup to be pretty hands off, and I like the smoke profile from charcoal and wood. I think the suggestions for the 26 are spot on if you need more space. I love my Performer as an outdoor kitchen type setup with its cart and table.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
      Smoking77 you will get more smoke with the kettle than the pellet smoker. I’ve got a Weber Performer Deluxe, with SNS and a PartyQ, and monitor cooks on my phone using my Smoke from Thermoworks. With the right charcoal I can get 10-12 hours unattended cook time at 225. I wanted a pellet cooker for a long time, but find my setup to be pretty hands off, and I like the smoke profile from charcoal and wood. I think the suggestions for the 26 are spot on if you need more space. I love my Performer as an outdoor kitchen type setup with its cart and table.
      jfmorris What type of charcoal do you use for your long cooks? I've been using lump on my WSM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Weber briquettes give me 10-12 on a load in the SNS, if I am running at 225. Too bad Lowe’s and Home Depot near me quit carrying them... I’m going to have to find an alternate source when I run out.

• Oastytoasty
        Oastytoasty commented
        Editing a comment
        I found some Weber briquettes at target the other week, might be worth checking out

You said you wanted more cooking area, so if you are doing for the kettle then the 26” makes more sense. But, if you can spring for the Ranch Kettle without a SlowNSear, that will give you lot’s more cooking space.

Comment

If you get into sous vide it would seem much easier to do QVQ with a pooper.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          True. Though I always plan to do the first Q with another meal in mind so I’m never firing up for such a short time.

Pellet would make this a breeze.

I have both a Rec Tec and kettle/fan combo. I'll be getting rid of the Rec Tec this weekend and at some point in the near future adding a 26" kettle. I have found the kettle/fan/SnS/DnG set up to be far superior in every way except for capacity. So adding a 26" to go with my 22" will make up for any capacity issues. Kettle/fan combos produce better smoke flavor, better temp control and are more versatile. They are also more portable if you ever need. Plus no moving parts to eventually fail. Even if the kettle fan fails you can still continue to cook with just having to tend to it more. If the fan, auger etc fails on a pellet grill, you are screwed. Not bagging on pellet grills. They were my spring board to where I am now.

I post this in an attempt to help our newbies (to which I once was a short time ago) not feel so overwhelmed on the topic of selecting a cooker that is right for them. There are a lot of “looking for advice on a cooker” posts from newbies and seasoned vets looking to expand their arsenal. Obviously, the choices and opinions

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! That is a solid testimonial for kettle/SNS/DNG from the owner of one of the better pellet smokers around (RT-680). Yet another nail in the coffin of my pellet smoker plans. I love my Performer and all the ABC stuff plus the PartyQ. The only thing lacking is capacity, and I am starting to think a WSM might be the way to go next - my PartyQ would fit on that just fine!

I have both (and then some) and use them regularly. As already noted, the pellet pooper does not provide a lot of smoke at higher temps, but I use it often for baking or for giving a kiss of smoke at lower temps before searing. It is very convenient and is my favorite way to do brisket as it makes a very nice bark without becoming a meteorite.

I use my kettles for pork because I do like a more prominent bark on ribs and butts, plus they are unbeatable at reverse searing and 2 zone cooking. They are pretty good at pizzas as well.

If I had one choice I'd go for the 26 with all of the goodies. Then save up for a PP down the road. And a gasser.....and a WSCG......and a Santa Maria grill......and a...........

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Very informative, thanks! And I'll get all those cookers one day! But first I need to get a second job, and win the lottery, and only use one diaper a day for my two-month-old, and...

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha, so you already have a "pooper"!

Thanks everyone for all the help! I still have zero clue what I'm going to do, but if I do go for the Weber, I'll get the 26"

Comment

Here's my 26 loaded up pretty well. If I wasn't using the SNS I could get more meat on there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	znZtzyeLXhnoDMKttVroXAeAwareWVQVyYQgvi3pSRh51LNtXZwHw3Ephh6ojtuffCEzEEVKrpY3gMrCXAL6iTc-RbhcatmD9C8lf_72XxSdbdruyhWWk7hz8xNFpGRCWsXID-moGVuZFfRRZN7nfDP5s4pEorH-IC4lWqr1TFjpv-xsWSvJOr7qBLGUf6MzUIXssEnqmB4t5mSpsA4p40aSNUhxYgEynuui0c5izOMSDSTbBxqmH_50l2Ue-GL Views:	2 Size:	385.9 KB ID:	689813

But now that I have a Primo XL I would use it for that cook instead. These pics aren't mine but you can see what's possible with the Primo XL. You don't lose any surface area with a kamado.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAGE_54.jpg Views:	1 Size:	168.2 KB ID:	689814

Click image for larger version  Name:	8_bad_boys.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.2 KB ID:	689815

You can also get expansion racks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dsc_1686.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.15 MB ID:	689816
          Last edited by Attjack; June 4, 2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Attjack Wow, great pics! Now a Primo XL is on my radar too. Luckily, I'm not in a rush to buy, so I can keep doing research. Disadvantages of the Primo XL? Thanks.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              The only other Kamados I think are better are some models of the Komodo Kamados.

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info. I did five pushups last week, so I'm pretty sure I can deadlift it.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't forget the newest kamado - the ABCBBQ entry with the SNS.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here