Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GrillGrates or new grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GrillGrates or new grill

I have a four-year-old Weber Spirit E-310 gas grill that I use regularly from April through October here in New England. Mostly I use it for grilling (sometimes with a little wood in a box/packet for flavor). Once in a while, I'll experiment with full-on smoking, but the results are mediocre and it's a bit of a pain. I also have found the searing performance to be disappointing (no IR/sear burner).

I'm thinking about buying a set of GrillGrates, as they seem like they'll help with the searing. They might also make it a little easier to get some smoke flavor while grilling by throwing wood chips between the grates. I doubt they'll help much with longer smoking.

The other option, of course, is to replace the Weber with something else... maybe a pellet grill/smoker, a Pit Barrel, or something else. Space is relatively limited (can't handle anything too much larger than the E-310). I don't want to spend thousands, but I don't mind spending a bit for something good. I'm just torn between the relative ease of the gas grill for quick burgers/steaks and the potential versatility of something else. I'm not likely to dedicate very many days per season to extensive smoking.

I'm curious to get your recommendations and experiences. Thank you!

i have the Spirit II E-310 and replaced the Weber grates with a full set of Grill Grates. They are Great! I use them 100% of the time now. They are very easy to set up for 2 zone cooking. And right now they are on sale for 15% off through their website.

Comment

The GrillGrates will help with the searing, but won't help with actually smoking. Gas grills just aren't great for that. One option if you want to add a smoker, as you're space limited is the Pit Barrel Junior. It's got plenty enough room to cook for 4-6 people and it's small enough to tuck away if it's in the way. Easy to learn to use, and between the PBJr. and the gasser there's not a lot that you can't get done.

Comment

I use GrillGrates on my Spirit 210 and think they are great.

Comment

I second mnavarre 's recommendation to get a PBC (junior or full-size depending on space--if you have the room for full size, go for it!). You would have a great combo--the gasser for quick cooks and the PBC for great smokes as well as quick cooks like chicken.

The PBC will turn you in to a master smoker in no time. You'll be surprised at how much you'll use it because it's easy to run and the cleanup takes 5 minutes or less.

If you want a good, simple sear, then try a cast iron griddle on your gasser grates. I have the Grill Grate griddle which I use directly on my gasser grates. That sucker gets super hot 700°+ in no time. It too is simple to clean because of its size and weight and stores nicely in your kitchen so it's always clean and ready to go. Good for cooking for 2-4. For more than 4, I pull out a second Grill Grate Griddle and interlock it with the first.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; May 26, 2019, 06:22 AM.

Comment

I would probably try the Grill Grates first. They work really well and will be an improvement on what you have now without a major investment. If that does not go far enough, you can try other options.

Comment

I hate the word "or". I usually turn or in to and. And MCS is born.

Comment

+2, 3 & 4 on lostclusters comment

Comment

I didn't like my grill grates. They were brutal to clean. Granted my grill was used 6 times a week for dinners. They are probably fine for just searing but for everyday use I ended up hating them. I agree with FXZDoc use a cast iron pan for searing. If you follow Meat Head's advice it is better to get an all over sear than grill marks.

Why Grill Marks Are Overrated
                  https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...hould-not-flip

Being from New England as well I recommend a Kamado. Very versatile and the thick ceramic works very well during the winter. I grill all year long. I have Big Green Egg but there are many out there now. Kamado Joe, Primo, Weber Summit, Slow and Sear Deluxe, etc. You can direct grill, indirect cook, smoke, and sear on them. Biggest con is it's difficult to do a two zone cook. But with accessories you can indirect then pull the plate setter to get a hot sear.

I also love my PK360. It rules for two zone cooking. Thick aluminum will last a lifetime and helps insulate in the winter. It is a steak cooking machine. Does chicken very well and can smoke. Direct cook burgers and dogs and whatever else you want.

Comment

• maximweinstein
                    maximweinstein commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the input, from one north shore guy to another!

Thanks to all for the input! I decided to follow the lostclusters approach and get both a set of GrillGrates for my Weber and a Pit Barrel Cooker. I like both so far. I can get a great (grate?) sear or grill marks with the GrillGrates, depending on whether I use the bars or the flat side. Here's a report on my first PBC cook: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...first-pbc-cook

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That definitely sounds like the best setup for your situation. Good choice!

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha I just saw this after replying with the same advice! Good decision. You will enjoy.

I say get a 22 kettle master touch and the trifecta combo from adrenaline BBQ. That’s give you a smoker and a griller when you have a little extra time.

Use cast iron on your gasser. I guarantee it will sear on the gassser.

Problem solved!

Comment

If you want to cook year around I would recommend a Kamado. However, if you want to cook April through October I would recommend a 26” weber Kettle and a starter chimney. The chimney will get you started fast and you can do some versatile cooking with smoke beyond Hotdogs and Hamburge.

Comment

maximweinstein as others already commented, the Grillgrate full replacement set made a huge difference for me in searing performance on a 2002 Weber Genesis 2 burner model, so much so that when I brought home a new Genesis II E-410 4 burner this January, I ordered a full replacement set of Grillgrates for it, before I even used it once.

While I have yet to try throwing wood pellets down in the valley of the grate (I don't think wood chips will work well), as you have found out, a gas grill makes a mediocre smoker at best. Grillgrates are intended for direct grilling, and don't really help at all with indirect grilling. In fact, you have to disconnect the panels in the middle if you want to do indirect grilling, as otherwise the continuous set of grates will conduct the heat from the direct to the indirect side.

Having an offset smoker, two gas grills, and a Weber Kettle (two of those at one point), I can say for sure that you don't want to get rid of the Weber gas grill. You really won't find anything better for searing and quick cooks. Pellet smokers are smokers - not grills - and won't do a great job at things like burgers or steaks, while they will excel at ribs/pork/brisket/chicken or stuff you want to smoke at lower temperatures.

If my space was limited, and you are not interested in charcoal grilling - just smoking - my advice would be to keep the Weber 3 burner, outfit it with Grillgrates to help improve searing performance, and get a Pit Barrel Cooker or a Weber Smokey Mountain 18" model for smoking. Both of those cookers are only 18" in diameter, and will take up little deck space. You might can tuck it up under one of the side tables of the Spirit when not in use as well. Charcoal and wood chunks gives some of the best BBQ results in my opinion, and your investment in equipment is minimal ($299-ish).

Comment

My first dedicated smoker (bought recently) is a Weber Smokey Mountain. I love it — great ribs the first time out. It’s also fairly compact. The big differences between it and the PBC are (1) racks on the WSM vs hooks on PBC, and (2) water pan used (if you choose to) on WSM.

They both cost about the same. Watch some YouTube vids for each to decide which fits your style. Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here