Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Pellets

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of schooling about the popular wood pellets. In my limited experiences, when I have had meat that was smoked with wood pellets, I get off-flavors that I am not fond of, however, I see that many folks who use them seem to love the heck out of them.

When searching for how they are made, I found that they are made from "recycled wood streams" from waste generated from timber production and wood product manufacturing. I also see that pellets are also made from wood by-products for pellets, which I can't seem to find anything about.

When I searched for recycled wood streams, the only thing found is that the pellets are made from different woods all combined to make the pellets. Others say they are made from all hardwoods. This is all very confusing to me. Maybe some of you can give me some advice on this subject. Please, I am not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers so please don't get a bee in your bonnet. lol I am just trying to learn more about this.

I find wood pellets with an alder base give off kind of a musty aroma. Personally I don’t use pitboss and Traeger pellets.

My preferences:
    BBQr’s Delight (best imho)
    B&B (rebranded BBQr’s Delight)
    Lumberjack
    Cookin Pellets

i think a lot of folks would tell yoo those are the top attention getters out there for quality pellets.

Hopefully the queen of pellets, CandySueQ will hop in and give you some more info about the heart of your question.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      These, plus Grilla brand pellets, are the consensus favorites in my Grilla group on Facebook. I suspect that Grilla brand pellets might just be Lumberjack, but this is random speculation. I have used BBQr's and Lumberjack (localish) and I like both... I like Lumberjack because I can drive and pick it up. BBQrs has an edge in flavor profile tho.

This is a very informative thread on wood pellets. CandySueQ is the "Expert" on pellets! I hope this answers some of your questions.

Comment

I was there once. I no longer own a pellet cooker. However, I agree and would highly recommend staying away from PitBoss. I have used both lumberjack and cookin pellets and found them to be better, but for me there was something about the taste as well. It comes down to what you like and I know there are a ton of folks out there who successfully cook with pellets, so I chaulk that season up to experience or lack there of on my part.

Comment

There are no standards for producing a "food-grade pellet" so while I know how BBQr's Delight and B&B are made, I can't say anything for other manufacturers. Cookinpellets is very good and I like Chris a bunch. Lumberjack uses whole trees, grinding up bark, roots and all. They have gotten better at it than when they first started. Pit Boss is rebranded from different manufacturers (Pit Boss, parent company Dansen, doesn't own a pellet mill since they left AB), so you don't really know or have a way to trace production.

It's exactly like charcoal. With lump charcoal, you don't really know where or from what it's made. Briquettes you don't know what they use to fuse. Honestly, to the best of my knowledge, there's no regulations for producing charcoal either (except EPA emission stuff).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here