Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modified my Weber Kettle, finally.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modified my Weber Kettle, finally.....

After reading what others have done, purchasing a Thermoworks Needle Probe to add to my Smoke unit, I decided to modify my kettle. Contacted Thermoworks and was informed I shouldn't trap the silicone cable between the lid and kettle bottom. No problem doing that with the armored cable on the grill temp probe or the longer meat probe.

The meat probe that comes with the Smoke unit is great for larger pieces of meat, but not so much for smaller cuts. So I decided to add the needle probe.

I drilled a 7/16 hole just below the kettle's rim and cleaned it up with a rat tail file. Its large enough to feed in the grill probe from the outside in. But I have to feed the plug of the needle probe from the inside out. The housing of the needle probe has a bigger diameter then the grill probe. I suppose I could have drilled a larger hole but I wanted to limit the extra air intrusion as much as possible.

Doing some tenderloins for dinner tonight, so Ill have a chance to try it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-(1).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	663899

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	663900

I did something similar to my old performer. When I wasn't using my probes, I bought a SS but/bolt to plug up hole. Worked flawlessly.

Edited to add: Usually I didn't use it for H&F, so the plug wasn't exactly necessary, but had it if situation dictated.

Comment

I did something similar, but added a brass close nipple to run the probes through. I also bought a brass cap to keep air out when not using a probe.

Comment

I drilled two holes to run my Thermoworks probes. Didn't bother with or worry about plugging the holes. Works great.

Comment

Here’s one solutiom that solves the air leak issue. https://youtu.be/znQspwfSFGw
          gonna be trying this soon.

Comment

Nice Mod, this will make it handy.

Comment

I use a piece of foil tape over the hole whether my probes are in or not.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here