Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rack Position on WSM 18"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack Position on WSM 18"

Hi All! I am looking for tip/ suggestions on how others place their ribs for those who have a 18" Weber Smokey Mountain. I have spiraled the racks and held together with skewers ( not a fan b/c it binds the meat for uneven cooking) and i have split spares in half and used rib rack. At most I can only 2 full racks. I dont like using the lower rack because of the temp difference between the two levels causes different finish times and it too much trouble to rotate them. Ive seen an accessory that consists of a rod with 4 hooks that allows you to hang 4-5 racks but only for the 22" WSM. Does anyone have a source for the accessory or other sugestions to fit more racks?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks !

Take a look at this rib rack Clint Cantwell reviewed:

Maximize the grilling space with the Rib Rings from BBQ Guru. This patent-pending design holds three racks of ribs upright in a circular pattern in the outermost ring, two racks in the middle, plus one rack or a whole chicken in the center ring.

Comment

With the 18" WSM, I can see ribs being a problem. Personally I think your best bet is to just bite the bullet so to speak, and deal with rotating the ribs from top rack to bottom rack halfway through the cook. I can fit 5 racks on my 22" Performer with a Weber rib rack, but have to flip the slabs of ribs over vertically about halfway through the cook, due to the fact that the edge facing up cooks faster than the edge facing down when using the rib rack.

Having to cut the slabs of ribs down in size is probably one reason I've only considered the WSM 22 for possible future purchase.

I think that the Gateway 30 gallon drum hanging kit fits the WSM 18.

Great for even heating when cooking ribs, this stainless steel rib hanger kit includes a rib hanger with two bars and a set of 6 hooks. Compatible with 30 gallon Gateway Drum Smokers.

This thread on another website indicates that the above hanging kit fits the WSM18:

I have been seeing people smoking ribs by hanging them in their WSM or other barrel smoker. I could understand doing this to maximize space as you could probably hang 5 or 6 racks of ribs. But I also see that the ends by the charcoal get charred. I was looking to try this method and wanted to...

I think you would have to remove the water pan for the ribs to hang, and wonder if they would hit the fire without the stacking ring the guy shows in his photos.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        To your point on hanging ribs, they make an extension ring that has the rebar dowels like a PBC. You remove the water pan (which I do anyway) and you essentially have the same setup as a PBC. Been meaning to do it on mine, just have never gotten around to buying that mod. (I just saw your link to the ring, never mind I'm half asleep this time of day).

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
      With the 18" WSM, I can see ribs being a problem. Personally I think your best bet is to just bite the bullet so to speak, and deal with rotating the ribs from top rack to bottom rack halfway through the cook. I can fit 5 racks on my 22" Performer with a Weber rib rack, but have to flip the slabs of ribs over vertically about halfway through the cook, due to the fact that the edge facing up cooks faster than the edge facing down when using the rib rack.

Having to cut the slabs of ribs down in size is probably one reason I've only considered the WSM 22 for possible future purchase.

I think that the Gateway 30 gallon drum hanging kit fits the WSM 18.

Great for even heating when cooking ribs, this stainless steel rib hanger kit includes a rib hanger with two bars and a set of 6 hooks. Compatible with 30 gallon Gateway Drum Smokers.

This thread on another website indicates that the above hanging kit fits the WSM18:

I have been seeing people smoking ribs by hanging them in their WSM or other barrel smoker. I could understand doing this to maximize space as you could probably hang 5 or 6 racks of ribs. But I also see that the ends by the charcoal get charred. I was looking to try this method and wanted to...

I think you would have to remove the water pan for the ribs to hang, and wonder if they would hit the fire without the stacking ring the guy shows in his photos.
      Thanks Jfmorris! I think that's what Ive been looking for and going to give that a try. Theres a video in the TVBB Link that shows a full cook using it and seems very promising.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to help! I just checked out the video too, and while I would have let the ribs hang the entire time, it sure looks like this will work out about the same as the PBC, and you ought to be able to hang at least 6 racks of ribs on your 18" kettle - maybe 8 if you get more hooks.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here