Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet vs Grill vs WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet vs Grill vs WSM

Hello folks,
    So I'm replacing my entire outdoor cooking setup. We lost our house in a giant wildfire in CA (Camp Fire) so while that absolutely sucked, on the bright side is I have to opportunity to rebuild from scratch. I don't have to be too restricted in price, which is also a positive, although I'm not wanting to spend much more than $1500 max on my whole setup.

Originally, my plan was to get a solid gas grill from Meathead's Platinum or Gold reviews list and then straight replace my WSM 18" which I was beginning to really get a handle on and produce some delicious meat! A pellet smoker never really appealed to me for a few reasons: 1) I want to be able to have that kickass smoke flavor and too many reviews say you can't get that with a pellet. 2) I'm not sure how "grilling" would turn out (burgers, dogs, etc.). 3) I fear I've become a traditionalist smoker snob and enjoy sitting next to my smoker on a Saturday tending it. 4) They tend to be more expensive.

After reading the reviews, I've noticed that the Camp Chef Woodwind with Sear Box seems to remedy a lot of the potential problems of the pellet, i.e. grilling and searing. It is also a Platinum award winner. The snobbery is completely on me.

In the end, I really want to be able to work on my BBQ smoking skills, but also have the flexibility to grill up some dogs and burgers for weeknight dinners.

So now my dilemma is this:
    1. Original Plan: Gas Grill + WSM
    2. Woodwind alone
    3. Woodwind + WSM
    4. Another option the Pitmaster community would suggest?

As always, I appreciate your thoughts and input. If I'm totally off-base, let me know. Have a great day.
    Last edited by bvelikonia; April 7, 2019, 09:21 AM.

Given that budget you’ve got lots of options. I don’t think you can go wrong with meathead’s recommendations. I own a PK360 and love it. Also the PBC is a killer cooker with portability. Those are some "reasonably" priced coolers that give you flexibility on cooks and your budget. A properly accessorized Weber 26” kettle is super flexible too.

I dont own a gasser so i csnt I can’t offer any advice on that. There is always the kamado route too.

So so many options..... good luck. 👍🏼

Comment

Although I use my 26" kettle with SnS and Vortex quite a lot, I will always have a gasser in my setup. Sometimes you just can't beat the convenience, especially on a weeknight. I also have some family members who don't like food cooked over charcoal. Personally Iwould go for the gasser and a tricked out 26" kettle, or gasser and WSM.

Comment

• SavageSmoke
        SavageSmoke commented
        Editing a comment
        This. That combo is hard to beat

I second going with a PBC (299) and then a 26” Weber kettle (329) and a nice 2 burner gas grill (250-400). That leaves you with some cash left over for some accessories, charcoal and meat.

Comment

With your concerns and budget I don't think you'd find a pellet grill to your liking, there's some great smoking pellet grills in your budget but you'd probably still want a good gasser and there just wouldn't be enough money left for a grill you wouldn't later regret. Using only what you've ID'd as your options I would go with your original plan. You get something you were already getting good at and still have a quick cook option with the gasser. Having said that, you're in one of the most populous states so there's a good chance a pellet grill owner on here lives within driving distance of you, maybe you could go check one out in person and sample the smoke profile?

Comment

How about a summit charcoal grill to compliment
          the gasser? I know that’s stretching that 1500 target (less if you just get the standalone). But if you go that route you’ve got similar performance to your WSM and you get the versatility of the kettle too. Just my 2 cents.
          Last edited by xaugievike; April 7, 2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I like this and have both (plus a couple of others). Look around CL bvelikonia for a decent, gently used Weber gasser, they are in abundance around where you live and will save you a lot of $.

I find my pellet pooper to be indispensable. I have added a few grills to the arsenal over the years for different methods to accomplish different things, but if I had to pare it down I'd go with my PP, the WSCG, and the Santa Maria grill (or the gasser).

Comment

Exciting choices to be had and whatever you end up with I'm sure will be put to good use.

Comment

For me, I like an oval-shaped kamado. It smokes, it grills, it has two heat zones, it does it all.

Comment

How about considering a PBC + Rec Tec Bullseye, and you could also kick in a Rec Tec Matador and/or Blackstone griddle. I've seen many here in the Pit who really love their PBC, and it appears to work a lot like your WSM. A lot of folks like their Blackstones as well. I haven't heard much about the Bullseye or Matador - anyone here in the Pit have an opinion on them?

Comment

Originally posted by treesmacker View Post
                  I haven't heard much about the Bullseye or Matador - anyone here in the Pit have an opinion on them?
                  Max Good has a pretty clear opinion about the Bullseye ...

For a bit more than the Bullseye, you can get the new Grilla Grills Chimp. So far it's getting good reviews.
                  Last edited by MBMorgan; April 7, 2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• treesmacker
                    treesmacker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, that Chimp looks pretty nice. Will compete with Rec Tec Trailblazer, which is what I have - another option. Sooo many choices, and the manufacturers, it seems, just keep coming out with better and better.

Multiple cookers IMHO is the way to go. Ya get more bang fer yer buck. I won’t recommend a brand, cuz who cares what brand I care of, with one exception, the PBC. I don’t have one, I do have a UDS though. You will have so much fun smokin chickies, wibs & such. I am in agreement with the gasser recommendation, just not a two burner, three burner at least so you can two zone. Just remember all saws cut wood. Important thing, some better at some things than other. Do your research, figure what you like & what you want as an end result. Then check for cookers that fit the bill. Most important as the post Mr. Bones left about the mistakes, don’t make any of them & have fun! 🕶

Comment

I've always said, fer decades, includin here, many times: "if ya ain't havin fun, why, yer most likely doin it wrong..."

Comment

• MBMorgan
                      MBMorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yup!

I am a WSM and kettle/sns guy. I have a traeger scout pooper that I use on occasion. I would suggest the kettle/sns combo or the wsm and a gasser if you want one. I have never used a gas grill, though.

Comment

I too am somewhat of a "traditional" smoke snob so I'm personally not a fan of pellet smokers...if I was starting from scratch with 1500 bucks, I'd probably do barrel style smoker (pick your favorite, there are a bunch) and a PK 360. If the PK isn't your bag, obviously you can't go wrong with a kettle with say, a S&S and/or a Vortex, as well as the BBQ Dragon Pizza Stone (which works not just for pizza but great as a heat deflector for doing pork shoulder/brisket, though if you have a S&S already, then it's not really necessary, but anyway it's a cool stone and not super duper expensive).

Alternatively you could also go stick burner of course, though in that case you'd still need something else for regular grilling, and obviously they're a little more labor intensive to run, which isn't everyone's thing. So it sort of depends on how much grilling you do vs. smoking. IMO a barrel cooker (which can do both of course) and either a PK or kettle gives you the most options, as well as capacity if you sometimes cook for more than just your own family. PKs are obviously a fair bit more expensive than kettles (particularly the 360) so if you went the kettle route, then you'd still have lots of dough to spend on accessories (and meat!) though my soul does pine for a 360. In any case they're both awesome so see what you feel like.

Anyway do your research, see what appeals to you and your style of cooking and let er rip. Sorry to hear about your pad.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here