Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Questions - Green wood vs dried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold up, I need to get the bark off?

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      No, You don't have too, but it will help it dry quicker.

I have enough that I can push the bark pieces off to a different year. I'll split it soon, then get out the miter saw to chop it into chunks. Then figure out some type of storage system.
    Honestly, $24/year to becoming a member on here isn't that scary of a fee. I just need to wipe out tuition first
    Last edited by pa317; April 2, 2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

You can use green fruit wood in a hot n fast cook. You would have to experiment to get it right.

Comment

Also PBC doesn't need a lot of wood to give you some smoke flavor. Go slow with the wood until you find a happy amount that works for all.
        Last edited by HawkerXP; April 3, 2019, 09:34 AM. Reason: bing, bing, bing! 3000 posts.

Comment

Your Quote: "
          Good morning! I am only on the trail here, so I want to bundle my questions up front." caught my attention.

You posted another 4 questions in another thread and asked if a SnS was worth it and mentioned the $100 was a little heavy for the budget.

FWIW.... I would recommend holding off on purchases of gear if money is tight and instead getting a paid subscription to the AR Pitmaster's Club... The $24/year is likely to yield you a lot better return on investment than any other $24 bbq related purchase you would make. The knowledge and help you can get from hanging around in here and being able to ask all skill levels of bbq folks (from no idea, to backyard heroes, industry manufacturers, professional restauranteurs, and beyond) more than pays for itself.

Just a thought.

Comment

I have lots of hickory and black cherry around my place. I often trim a large trunk (usually Cherry) or fall a skinny Shag Bark Hickory.
            What I have found over the years - split them up and set outside, covered for the spring/summer. I often toss them on my hot blacktop driveway for a few days.
            I have found that in a few short summer months, the wood has dried just right. They get those cracks and sound more "hallow" when banged together.
            IMHO, too dry a wood is not good. Too damp, same. You want a little moisture left for smoke!

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
              Your Quote: "
              Good morning! I am only on the trail here, so I want to bundle my questions up front." caught my attention.

You posted another 4 questions in another thread and asked if a SnS was worth it and mentioned the $100 was a little heavy for the budget.

FWIW.... I would recommend holding off on purchases of gear if money is tight and instead getting a paid subscription to the AR Pitmaster's Club... The $24/year is likely to yield you a lot better return on investment than any other $24 bbq related purchase you would make. The knowledge and help you can get from hanging around in here and being able to ask all skill levels of bbq folks (from no idea, to backyard heroes, industry manufacturers, professional restauranteurs, and beyond) more than pays for itself.

Just a thought.
              Midway through May I'll be done with school and can re-assess how the budget will play out. $24 for membership on here for a full year isn't bad. Especially given the advice I have already received. (My next step is to look at breakfast recipes). The SnS could be a fathers day gift (my two girls are young enough that it's more of I get to pick what I want). For that one it's more trying to gauge whether the product actually works better than simply shuffling the coals to one side

Edit: To elaborate on my 'work better' comment. I'm hesitant to crutch poor skills with fancy tools. ie, an amazing golf club for a bad golfer will only hit the ball further into the woods. A SnS, if I don't have the skills to back it up, won't yield the best meat I've ever had.
              Last edited by pa317; April 7, 2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

All great comments. On the faux cambro, just factor in the quality of your cooler. A Yeti style cooler, pre-warmed and filled 50% with hot barbecue at 190 degrees will hold above 140 for, my guess, 8+ hours. A cheap cooler, half of that.

If your barbecue is cooler when you put it in, and if your ratio to hot food/empty space is worse, then it's all more sensitive. Pre-warming your cooler is more essential.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here