Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatcha Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatcha Think

About this. I was clicking around on REI - not because I camp, but because my mind thinks I should be camping. My real idea of camping involves our RV. Anyway, I stumbled on this "Gentleman's Grill"...

Click image for larger version

Name:	gentleman.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	646864

Never seen anything quite like it.

I think it looks cool. But my portable grill is a lot smaller.

Name:	61utuw416JL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	646870

Name:	71KmbpmZ6cL._SX466_.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	646871 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Fire Art you just use your Lodge grill press so you don't lose any precious kale. NapMaster I actually got mine at a garage sale but I got those images off Amazon. So they must sell them.

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      That is pretty neat. We used to just buy a disposable charcoal grill from the grocery store, toss everything but the grate, and hang the grate on the outside of the pack. Very light, but kind of annoying and would smudge the pack after the first use. Then we stopped taking fresh food altogether and only eat freeze dried meals now. All around lighter and easier. But not tastier.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Buck Flicks It's all high-quality stainless steel and there is a notch that you can use to scrape the rods clean.

I feel like it's gimicky and will likely warp, discolor or otherwise not maintain anything like a "gentleman's" function/appearance for more than a cook or two.

Comment

Pretty cool! Something i would def keep in my trunk...until i used it once, didnt clean it well and then promptly tossed it when i went to use it again a year later, lol.

Comment

First question that comes to mind, what’s so "gentlemanly" about it !??

Second one, do you think a full packer brisket could squeeze on there?? I need my beef while camping !!!

Comment

It is definitely a gimmick. But when I was 25, if I had seen this, and figured I could "saunter" onto the beach with it, throw it down and cook something (hot dogs?), I would have bought it. A fool and his money - and I was pretty foolish back then. Wait, according to my wife...

Comment

At least your idea of camping involves a RV, my wife's idea involves a Bed and Breakfast.....

My idea involves the sofa in my house, so I can honestly say I camp everyday!

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been considering the cabin "camping" lately. Going to need to get back to my roots.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Last time I really camped was when my son was a cub scout, and the only reason I went then was cause I was the scout leader. I am 6-6, 270, so finding sleeping bags and tents that fit our budget back then was a challenge. Plus, I have always been more of an "urban camper", meaning room service.

I’ve seen folding charcoal chimneys that seem like they would work better.

Outset 76356 Collapsible Camping Grill and Chimney Starter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HEJC90S..._OBCGCbK51VKA7

Comment

Or maybe.

Outback Station Portable Outdoor Grill, Outdoor Grill and Dutch Oven Stand - Dutch Oven not Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065V8OAQ..._7CCGCbSA9CG55

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Once it gets that size maybe a smokey joe makes more sense. Actually I've been pining for a Weber go anywhere charcoal rig that I can trick out. I think a guy on here posted an awesome set of mods he did to his.

You wouldn't need a smoke tube or flavor packet. The paint would smoke and season the meat. Use once and leave behind for the next person.

Comment

What do I think? I’m thinkin’ ............ nope.

Comment

I'm with you on the RV. We call what we do campering. Our RV is nothing fancy, but it was a giant step up in camping enjoyment after the kids came along.

Comment

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, jerrybell, ours is kind of fancy, but the kids are grown and gone so we had a slightly bigger budget. Nothing like the diesel beasts we see a lot of, though, I drool over those.

That is for sure a gimmick. About 10-15% of the stuff REI sells is "Fake outdoor" stuff... things that LOOK like they're useful for camping/outdoor use, but are actually useless as a real outdoor item.

That lunch box grill, while cool (I kind of want one,) wouldn't really be useful in a camping situation. It's still too bulky to put in a backpack, and if you're car camping, there are much better options that aren't much larger. Also, the size of the "pit" pretty much limits you to charcoal use rather than open wood fire, which the other collapsible grill pictured in this thread would be capable of.... so you'd have to carry charcoal, too.

Now, all that said, the cool-factor of this thing is pretty high in my book.

Comment

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It is pretty cool looking. Just not that useful looking.

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did get a pretty neat little pocket knife sharpener at REI for $10. And a set of walkie talkies.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here