Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Gas Grill Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Gas Grill Help

Got a new Weber Spirit II 3 burner grill June 2018. New tank at the same time. I'm having problems with the grill staying lit. It starts up, but it seems like it's not getting enough fuel and keeps going out. Replaced the regulator with a brand new one. Cleaned everything out. No apparent obstructions or anything. Contacted Weber and they thought that the propane tank was overfilled and under too much pressure. Took the tank to the hardware store where I get it filled and they completely emptied the tank and made sure it was filled to the proper amount. Grill worked fine Friday to grill some steaks. Went to use it last night and back to not staying lit. Every time it goes out within a few minutes. Nothing seems to be leaking. Going to contact Weber again, but this is aggravating! Ended up having to flank steak in the oven last night. Not cool. Any suggestions?

You are opening the shutoff valve on the tank more then just a little? Ask a neighbor to borrow their tank? Sounds like insufficient gas flow / pressure at nozzles.

Comment

I made sure I opened the valve all the way. Is it possible the hardware store employee could have messed up the valve somehow when they overfilled the tank?

Comment

I purchased a Weber Spirit II 310 last fall and since that time I have not had any problems with it staying lit. I have used and replaced multiple propane tanks when empty since purchased without issue. If mechanical issues are ruled out explore outside conditions. If windy when problems occurred you might consider changing grill location wind gusts might be extinguishing your flame. I hope you find a fix. Once corrected please share the problem and fix.

Comment

I'd borrow a neighbor's tank and see if it works better. Might be the over pressure valve (opv) on the tank that's the problem.

Comment

You being a new member & all, you have learned a lesson. You need some sort of back up grill.😎 This situation tells us that MCS hasn’t taken a holdt of ya yet. More is better, in the oven is bummer. Cook on! 🔥💨🕶

Comment

You replaced the regulator with a brand new one. Was that Weber's recommendation? Did Weber send you the replacement regulator?

Comment

To me I think it sounds like you are putting the regulator into "shutdown" or "bypass" mode. And like Max Good points out, I would only use the genuine Weber regulator on a grill that new especially. I've had the exact scenario you describe occur, and it usually was because the regulator went into safe or bypass mode.

What you should try is this.

1. Close the propane tank valve. Disconnect the tank for good measure.
                2. Open all burner valves, and let it sit for 1-2 minutes. We want ALL pressure off both sides of the regulator.
                3. Close all burner valves.
                4. Reconnect the tank.
                5. Just CRACK the tank valve open a partial turn. You will hear it start to pressurize the regulator. Do NOT open it multiple turns. DO NOT TOUCH OR TURN ON ANY BURNER YET!!!
                6. Wait 1-2 minutes.
                7. Set the first burner to high, and ignite it. Then turn on the 2nd burner only after that first one is lit.

Watch and see what happens.

Here is a Home Depot article on the subject (first thing I came across in a search):

http://community.homedepot.com/howto...065000000009jO

Comment

• Razor
                  Razor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. I second this. I had a similar issue with my Weber Q.

When everything is set to wide-open at start-up the regulator thinks there is a leak and it goes in to a "safe mode" for the lack of a better term. This was the only way to prevent that from happening.

The new regulator is a Weber regulator. Trying what jfmorris suggested and I will report results. Also to add, this tank was new in June. I was rotating it with the tank from the last grill but was having the same issue. Ended up chucking the old tank because it nearing the expiration on it anyway.

Comment

Okay so if you're seeing the same issue with two different tanks, then it's not the tank. The way I read your original post, you hadn't tried other tanks.

Bear in mind that just cuz a new piece of equipment is new doesn't mean it's necessarily working right. Just sayin'. It's not like I have personal experience with this variant of Murphy's Law, of course.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have been a victim of Murphy's law many times! I even recently had the luck of the draw to have 3 brand new parts out of 3 brand new boxes in a row be bad. I was blaming other stuff, until I went to the other end of the case of 100 parts and tried some of those.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here