Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Barrel Smokers

I am new here. I am sure this topic has been beaten to death. Quickly, I have the ole' cheap offset that I have slightly modified and it does reasonable in cooking. Just have trouble controlling temp, etc.

Though I had been seriously looking at pellets (Mak 1) for example, I am leaning heavily towards the pit barrel. I guess I am simply asking for comments from those that use the pit barrel. I do like the wood smoke flavor and as I understand one can use a few wood chunks in the PB.

Anyway I like the thoughts of a longer cook time without all the babysitting and trying to keep temps constant. This is my biggest complain with the offset. Not keeping steady temps.

So any comments from current or past PB users?

Much appreciated.

welcome to the pit!

There are many PBC owners here, myself included. For myself - im beyond satisfied with my PBC and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Comment

I love mine but don't really use wood chunks in it unless I'm not hanging anything. I massacred, I mean had a learning opportunity with a turkey hanging and wood chunks. The chunks ignited and I had blackened the lower portion with most of it still being way under temp.

I have used wood with pork butt or ribs cut in half so they don't hang as low. The juices hitting the coals and smoking still give a good flavor without wood.

Comment

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club! Thanks for joining up! The Pit Barrel Cooker is a great smoker. I own two of them and I use them all the time. Check out this thread for some lighting tips and techniques. There is A TON of how to instructions and discussion.

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
        • Check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
        • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

I too would heartily recommend the PBC. I have never used wood in it, and have never been disappointed with the flavour.

Oh yes, welcome! You have joined an amazing group of people. I have never stumped the geniuses here with any of my dumb questions.

Comment

I went from a cheap offset to the Pit Barrel Cooker and it literally made me popular around these parts with briskets. Best purchase I ever made. My pellet girl comes in a close second but you can't really compare due to the price difference.

Comment

Get a traeger bud. I had a cheap offset and then saved and bought a traeger, I am so happy now that I can enjoy myself instead of wrastlin with charcoal and temps every 30 friggin minutes. I can honestly put meat on and pass out if I want, without worry. Worth every penny.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                The PBC beats the Traeger hands down on price, if that is a factor at all, and is just as hands off really.

• Driverdan
                Driverdan commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd go with a Grilla for pellet cooking!.

I got one for Christmas and I’m hopelessly obsessed with it now. Yes, you can use wood, but I’m finding I really like the unique flavors it produces after fat drips down onto the coals and smokes back up. I haven’t worried much with temps, tho I’ve monitored to see what it’s doing since it’s new to me. Only thing I do to adjust is either crack a lid or remove a rebar to get higher temps for poultry. I don’t think you’d find that to be much of an issue. I am also loving the relatively shorter cook times. In the 9 weeks I’ve had it, I’ve convinced 3 friends to get one - I highly recommend them!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                There you go. Please read the above.

Originally posted by broberts1963 View Post
              I am new here. I am sure this topic has been beaten to death. Quickly, I have the ole' cheap offset that I have slightly modified and it does reasonable in cooking. Just have trouble controlling temp, etc.

Though I had been seriously looking at pellets (Mak 1) for example, I am leaning heavily towards the pit barrel. I guess I am simply asking for comments from those that use the pit barrel. I do like the wood smoke flavor and as I understand one can use a few wood chunks in the PB.

Anyway I like the thoughts of a longer cook time without all the babysitting and trying to keep temps constant. This is my biggest complain with the offset. Not keeping steady temps.

So any comments from current or past PB users?

Much appreciated.
              I have The PBC, the cooking is fairly hands off start and remove cooked meat. It cooks at a Temp much higher than recommended smoking temps. My last smoker was a cheap smoker that gave much smokier meat than the PBC, I have yet to be happy with the smoking level using the PBC.

Comment

I don't have a PBC, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Sure appreciate all the replies and welcomes.

Comment

Welcome from Manitoba !

I love my PBC ( I would not leave home without it ). I use it more than my other two smokers . My family prefers the food
                    from the PBC . We are thinking about buying another barrel smoker ( gateway or a Hunsaker ) . You won`t regret buying a PBC . Easy to transport .

Comment

I love my PBC. I can cook a lot of meat and only have an 18" footprint on my patio. I use it a lot for bacon/canadian bacon. Even if you move on to other cookers, you won't regret having one around...

Comment

I have had my pbc for several years and I’m spoiled.
                        Their is a slight learning curve but it consistently performs the same way each time. I usually put 2 pieces of first size wood chunks in it. If you like to fiddle with your pit and add wood then go with an offset. This is really a set it and forget it.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I'll quickly add my 2 cents. I've had my PBC for about a year and a half now and I use it pretty regularly. As others have already mentioned, the PBC is designed to let the juices drip on the burning coals and create "baby grease fires", so to speak, which adds smoke flavor without wood. Most people LOVE that smoke profile, but it is different than the traditional wood smoke flavor you will get with offset cookers/stick burners. You can also add wood as well to amp up the wood smoke even more.

The PBC is very much "set it and forget it". Light the coals, wait X number of minutes, put the food on, and check it every so often. It's a good product. Definitely recommended on my end. I modified mine to include a drip pan so I can have the option of getting wood smoke flavor only, burning juice smoke flavor, or both.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here