Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best type of pit for cold weather state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best type of pit for cold weather state

Hi Everyone,
    what is the best type of cooker for a cold weather state? NYC here. Looking to invest in a cooker for all year use. What holds temps best in all weather conditions?

Originally posted by Ericsauter3 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    what is the best type of cooker for a cold weather state? NYC here. Looking to invest in a cooker for all year use. What holds temps best in all weather conditions?
    Probably a ceramic kamado or one of the newer double-walled cookers like the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, with the addition of an insulated pellet pooper.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed

No matter which smoker you select I would suggest some Harbor Freight welding blankets. They do a fine job retaining heat and keeping wind off.

Comment

I am up in Canada and use a Memphis pellet grill, I have done 18hr brisket cooks in -25 Celsius with 20+mph winds and it handles it with ease. I have had both traeger and green mountain grills and they both struggled to be accurate and cook evenly when it was cold and windy not to mention even with the winter coats on them they consumed at least 30-40% more pellets than the Memphis.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        While the Traeger and Green Mountain consume more pellets than the Memphis, I can’t hep but wonder how much the Memphis consumes in cold weather.

an insulated cooker would hold "best" - but I've used my pit barrel and my weber w/sns in below zero situations with little issue (beyond more fuel consumption).

Comment

This was posted up yesterday. Seems interesting.

Very interesting design and appears to have a ton of cooking capacity. Over 2" thick walls with ceramic insulation would make it ideal for cold weather cooking climes like where

Comment

Living in New England I use my BGE all winter. I just got a Humphrey's insulated cabinet smoker that also it very cold weather friendly. They are built in Maine and are used all year long in the Pine Tree State.

Attached Files

Comment

If you add a fan thermostatic controller, most cookers will do just fine. The controller compensates for wind/precip. You’ll use more fuel with a non-insulated type of cooker, but a hotter-burning fire can give you better smoke quality.

Comment

I have a friend who lives in New England and swears by his BGE .... I would expect any kamado (or kamado like) would be great, including a Weber Summit. In Seattle area, where we sometimes get down to 15F, but mostly are about 40F and rainy in the winter, I cook on a Hasty-Bake and a WSM without any problem at all. I would guess I would have a kamado of some sort and some kind of insulated cabinet smoker if I lived in a tougher cold weather climate.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                EdF I think you can get a great kamado cooker without having to buy the BGE brand name.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I wasn't suggesting a BGE purchase, I agree with you and would probably buy something else today if I were in the market. But I bought it in 2002, and it has served us well.
                Last edited by EdF; December 28, 2018, 02:48 PM.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Totally agree EdF .... in 2002 you probably could not easily find anything but BGE .... and they are certainly great cookers

Backwoods Chubby G2 with 2" insulation option or Yoder 640 pellet with their insulation jacket.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here