Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offset smoker ambient temp after shutdown - just curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offset smoker ambient temp after shutdown - just curious

Hi all. This is my first post here so my apologies if I have posted in/on the wrong channel.

I own a 20" x 36" horizontal/vertical offset with a 1/4" firebox and 3/16" chamber (Pits by JJ, Houston, Tx). I smoked some 70 lbs of Prime Rib @ 235 F for friends/neighbors for XMAS dinners and took the last rack off at noon CST yesterday for pickup. I did not add fuel/heat after 12 noon and the ambient temp at that time was 227F. Coals were ash gray and hickory was pretty much spent at that time. 8 hours later I went out to "clean up" after our family time and my ambient was still running right at 100F but coals were out and hickory completely burnt. I was a little surprised I was still at 100F ambient in the chamber.

Just curious .... is that 16F drop over 8 hours in internal ambient a fairly reasonable and to be expected drop? Note: I live 60 miles north of Houston, Texas and our outdoor temps yesterday were mid 60's at noon when I shut down and in the high 50's at 8pm when I started cleaning up. No wind or rain all day. Calm conditions.

Just interested in what others experience after shutdown .... thanks in advance to those who share their experience.

Backyard Bubba

There where probably a lot of hot coals still hiding under the grey ash. Warning to all when tossing out coals into the trash can. They can burn for a long time.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. I have dedicated galvanized ash cans, rather than chunkin em in my trash, an still wait 24 hrs~, before I empty my cookers fireboxes...

Yep, unless you have a metal trash can be careful cleaning that thing out. Both the coals and the metal on a 1/4” thick smoker can stay hot for many hours.

Comment

Might pit has similar thicknesses and is fairly large. I'm in San Antonio and we had similar temps. My pit held warm for several hours. In the summer, at 90F outside and sunny, my pit with black paint will say 130F with no heat. Not quite on topic, I got a blower/temp controller for large offsets for Christmas. I know it works well even though I had too much fire and loaded into a new basket...it could not stop the fire but did it's best to starve it (too many leaks in my firebox)...so at 250 setting I was getting 300 plus a bit some times. Much less fuel required! Pretty sure I'll get this thing figured out and then be able to set and forget for reasonable times like three hours to five hours. Of note...my box temp sensor was in my first smoke box only eight inches from the fire...with a normal fire, the first box would start out reading over 400F and I'd cook in the second box at 225 to 275, saving the first box for chicken toward the end of the cook. So, I think I'll be using the second or third box, as needed, with a set and forget temp setting and a smaller fire well oxygenated.
      Last edited by ddmcwhirter; December 27, 2018, 02:19 PM. Reason: Adding to the blower story....

Comment

I know my stick burner that when all that steel is heated up it chugs along for a long time without adding much wood. Sometimes I have to add a small stick just to keep a fire burning not for additional heat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here