Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The year behind, and the year ahead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The year behind, and the year ahead...

Well - we've hit the "bored"portion of the day....so Im jumping the gun to the new year. Wondering what you're best cook-related acquisition (equipment, knowledge,something else?) for 2018 was? And with that - what's on your 2019 radar?

For me - hands down griddling was my 2018 highlight. I nabbed a 22" Blackstone for our camp-site and the "kitchen" I have there and it by far was the workhorse of the year. I added a griddle master insert for my home gasser and it's performed well also. Breakfasts seem to get the majority of the attention with those 2 cookers, but smash burgers have become a frequent request from my girls as well.

2019 is the year I will conquer my nemesis - pizza. I read "the elements of pizza" cover to cover today, and an MCS acquisition is in the works. I will slay this giant!

How's about you?

I was hoping to get a round Grilla this year, didn't work out. Maybe another time. And the Blackstone or similar griddle is calling my name as well. So is a pizza oven....

Comment

Oh boy!

I need lota of stuff. A 36" blackstone, slow n sear XL, 4 probe XR-50, pro vita mix, a slicer, a new 7-8 inch chef knife, 13"" Marqute Castings CI pan, new 1/2 and 3/4 sheetbpans, new racks for the sheet pans, new box of pre cut parchment, new workmpants and two new chef coats just to name a few.

i would also like a Ranch Kettle. RKE

Comment

I'd love to scratch the rotisserie itch this year, but it's more than an impulse buy. Gives me something to look forward to though.

Comment

Hands down best acquisition was the 22" Weber Red kettle with the smoke n sear and the drip n griddle. It has almost replaced my beloved wsm as my favorite tool.

I am going to try and control my MCS a little better in 19. If I could have anything, it would probably be a pellet grill like a GMG Daniel Boone or a Grilla. And at some point in the year, I am going to try some of that fancy Snake River meat...

Comment

Got my eye on a PK360. Upping my searing game in 2019.

Comment

I picked up my Primo XL in May. It quickly became the star of my outdoor kitchen. I am currently thinking about a rotisserie for my Weber gas grill. But I guess building the lower cabinets for the outdoor kitchen, pouring the slab for its bar seats, fine-tuning the lights, and generally finishing it up this year should prove to be the highlight of 2019.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Man, typing that out has given me a bout of MCS. I might not make it to 2019 for that rotisserie. I might not even make it through today. Trying to be strong.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, I didn't make it long. On the bright side, I'm looking forward to some tasty rotisserie eats.

• xaugievike
              xaugievike commented
              Editing a comment
              haha - and we saw it happen practically live!

For me it was getting the 22" kettle/fan/FB combo. So the only thing I can think of for 2019 is a bigger kettle.

Comment

I'm so lookin forward to a New Year, hopefully filled with accomplishments, an achievements, beyond years, past...

Gots me my annual Christmas resupply of lamp oil, so, onward I'll trudge... straight into th slaverin jaws of 2019

Click image for larger version  Name:	diogenes-jules-bastien-lepage.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.1 KB ID:	613438

P.S. SRY! Wednesday is "Laundry Day", here...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 26, 2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Somewhere on some anonymous aircraft or freight truck is a Weber Kettle with my name on it traversing the Pacific and Mountain time zones to me.

Goal for 2019....take notes and get the basics down.

--Michael

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hope it gits there, all safe an sound, Brother!

Give kitty some Love, from Mr. Bones....

2018 was quite a MCS year for us. Blackstone 36, a few knives, a few books, a few grilling and cooking accessories, a new deck (going to be outdoor kitchen so it counts as MCS), pulled a big MCS trigger and grabbed a WSCG, but the star of the show is Maria, my $50 craigslist Santa Maria grill. I think I would cook on that thing every day if I could. The irony is that she will probably end up costing me more in firewood than the cost of all my other cookers including their fuels. But, what's money when you're in love with a beautiful woman?!!!

For 2019 I'm getting a part time/occasional teaching gig at our local college fire academy to support My Maria and feed the MCS jones!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Maria.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	613563

Click image for larger version  Name:	Santa Maria.1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	613562
                Last edited by CaptainMike; December 26, 2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ^ +severalmillion

• Black99vette
                  Black99vette commented
                  Editing a comment
                  $50 find - shut the front door! Looks like you cleaned her up a bit? So would the question be, what do you cook on it, or what don't you cook on it? I would like to add a Santa Maria to my collection some day.

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Black99vette, I cook anything but L&S on it. These grills were originally designed in the area of Santa Maria, CA, the home of tri tip cooking. They're great for TT's, chicken, sausages, and will put an awesome sear on steaks or burgers when I slap a GrillGrate on it. It came with nifty hood that I'm adapting to pizza making too. Plus, there's something wonderful about building and cooking with open fire.

Thank you for this thread!

2018: I was given a rotisserie for my 22” kettle and found homes for 2 of my cookers.
                2019: Looking forward to the new products from abcbarbecue.

Comment

My Ranch was by far my best acquisition last year. The 26 I picked up a few weeks back might end up overtaking it but I don't have enough cooks on it to make that call.

This coming year I want a stick burner of some sort. I don't want to get a cheap one but also not ready to invest a couple grand.

Comment

Know when to hold em, & I’m holdin em.
                    Just going to totally dive into cookin, expanding my horizon.

Comment

I bought a pellet grill Jan 2018 next came a sous vide then a weber 22 kettle A SaS built a Ugly Drum smoker bought a 27” flat top rebuilt the neighbors old 5 burner gasser And last but not least my Acorn egg I cook outside 3 to 5 times a week 2019 I’m looking a Red Kamado and building a huge nest for it and my kettle and flat top 🤓

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here