Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking with coconut husks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking with coconut husks

A few months ago Spinaker mentioned a restaurant in Belize using coconut husks for smoking meats. This sounded intriguing. A couple of weeks ago I saw some husks from busted open coconuts in the bushes by the clubhouse pool.

I took them home and let them dry out. If you work really hard you can pull off string but this turns into tinder that burns fast. So I sawed them into small pieces on the band saw.

So here are the results. Boneless skinless thighs that were dusted with Henrik KC pork rub put in the WSJ equipped with GrillGrates. They were outstanding! I’d describe the smell and flavor similar to a fruit tree.

The landscaping service regularly cuts down coconuts from the palm trees, so these are easy to source. What I’m wondering is if the base of the branches (not the leaves) are also good for smoking. These are even easier to find.

Last edited by N227GB; November 12, 2018, 11:25 AM. Reason: Fixed picture

Very cool! Now that's an awesome rub

I assume the branches are just as good, after all, it's wood from the same trees. I guess a quick smoke (!) test and smell should be a good guide.

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      I think between Huskee 's Shawsh with the fresh orange juice and smoking with coconuts and palm trees I've finally have the Florida style BBQ I've been trying to develop.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know if I agree with the assumption until tried - an apple is from an apple tree, but I wouldn't try to eat the tree.

Those pieces of chicken(?) look incredible!

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, boneless skinless thighs. $1.69 a pound at Aldi the other. No big loss if the turned out poorly. :P

It's great when you can find and adapt what is available locally to make great que!

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      It sure is!

Honored to have a small part in your BBQ. Really cool post!

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd somewhat successfully tried a riff on a vinegar-tomato based sauce, but yours knocks it out of the park. Next week I'm doing a cook for about six people and I'll get some local fresh squeezed. I've been using those single-serve bottles of Tropicana since they are the exact amount needed.

Being from non palm tree zone. I am amazed by how much they drop all year long. How great that would be to find cherry branches sitting in our yards weekly!

Comment

Here in south Florida, finding coconuts is easy. Don’t even need a swallow to transport them. I should try this

Comment

Will one of you PLEASE start selling the husks on eBay or Amazon?? I'm in MO for cripes sake...

Comment

Hi there , we manufacture coconut shell briketts in India . They are widely available in Europe and now about to introduce in the US.
        we make them from mostly the Shell ( the hard brown but) and the Husk ( what you are Talking about here or the Frond( the branch tht you are mentioning here .
        in India they cook directly with the shell donuts worth you giving that a go for Smoke flavouring. The Husk can burn quickly in its original form but for Smoke it’s fine . In charcoal format it makes a good charcoal and when mixed with the denser shell a great charcoal .
        A lot falling to the ground is relative when you consider how many do so in India , literally millions per month ! The Coconut tree is known as the Miracle tree because of the many products it produces without needing to be felled , now the very last waste material is being turned into high quality charcoal briketts and even when the BBQ is over the small amount of ash can go directly on the garden .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here