Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pick Your Favorite Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily use "just get it done" grill/smoke/rotisserie - Weber kettle with SnS and rotisserie ring.
    Cooking for families/hanging out with the boys (King of the Hill alley) - PBC (also the main bacon maker).
    Full showoff/high end BBQ - KBQ (sometimes supplemented with SVQ to save on wood).

On the list - good gasser...maybe the Weber Spirit (if I can sneak it past purchasing/logistics...)

Comment

I just got a PBC and wow! It's no wonder the guys rate it so highly. Damn near foolproof. Or me-proof. Made some ribs on Saturday right after picking it up. They came out perfectly. Had some leftover and they were just as good the next day.

Tonight it was pork tenderloin (and asparagus). I just wrecked another restaurant item for my wife. So far she likes my ribs, steak, salmon, lobster, burgers and pork chops better than what we get at restaurants. Add pork tenderloin to the list.

I have never had anything work so easily. We're in Minnesota so it has been cooler but really no real changes except cracking the lid just a bit.

Comment

I had to vote for my wood burners but they really go hand in hand with my Santa Maria. I use the two together now in a lot of my cooks. I was surprised that nobody voted for the Santa Maria.

Comment

Thanks again for participating. Like the choice of meats, the results of choosing your favorite cooker was not what I expected. I really thought Kamados and drum or bullet smokers would show strong, seems like a lot of folks on here use them. Kettles being number one shows the popularity and resilience of Mr. Stevens design, even 60+ years later !!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	cooker graph.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	586736

Comment

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            Design...and price point. The genius is showing people who already bought a kettle for grilling that it could be turned into a smoker.

• Buck Flicks
            Buck Flicks commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, versatility, quality, and bang for the buck ... the Weber can't be beat.

I had to cast my vote on the stick burners. The one big drawback is that you have to tend to it, it's very far from "set it and forget it" like a Weber+SnS or a BGE is. BUT: the quality taste it produces is out of this world. I can do a very fast direct heat cooking in the fire box, or I can do low 'n slow in the main chamber, or somewhere in between. That pure smoke flavor is impossible to beat. So that's the one it's gonna be.

Bonus points: from the time I light that match til it's up and running at 240° F takes just around 10 minutes. THAT's very hard to beat with anything but a gasser.

Hank, over 'n out!

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            "Bonus points: from the time I light that match til it's up and running at 240° F takes just around 10 minutes. THAT's very hard to beat with anything but a gasser."

... or my Grilla pellet pooper

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Go Grilla!

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            No assist Beefchop, just oak wood. My smoker is fully insulated though, I guess that helps.

Darnit! How'd I miss this pole?

Anyway, believe it or not, Santa Maria. My kettles get used at least 3 times a week. My grill get's used every week. I do something Santa Maria style a couple times a year, over open fire with a tripod suspended grate. It's my favorite because it means I'm doing something unusual, big and have set the expectations bar high.

Comment

1. Pellet - YS 640
            2. Weber kettle
            3. Gasser

Comment

1) LSG stickburner
              2) Kamado Joe
              3) Weber Kettle
              4) MAK pellet
              5) PBC

Comment

Doh...missed another poll. 😢
                My #1 is my stickburner. It’s a good bit of work tending the fire, but I’m so in love with the quality of the smoke flavor it’s worth it to me!
                My #2 is my charcoal grill. This one definitely gets used more often - I wish I had time to smoke more, but I’m still cooking with fire, so...and sometimes I use wood in it too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here