Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed - Camp Chef DLX or PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are one who needs to closely monitor pit temp, plot it on a graph and constantly fiddle with your cooker to get it to hold 225* then get a pellet pooper. The PBC runs high (270) and other then using a stick or foil over the holes to raise or lower temp it does its own thing. Brisket, ribs, chicken and turkey is what my PBC is used for and it puts out good stuff.

Comment

So I bit the bullet on one of these which Costco has on sale for $699 including a cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	APC_0422.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	595592

Ran three racks of SLC ribs through it today with some John Henry's Pecan Rub for five hours and then sauced it with Weber Applewood I had in the cupboard. Total time of six hours using Lumberjack Cherry pellets and they looked and tasted fantastic!

Name:	APC_0423.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	595593

Name:	APC_0424.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	595594

It held in a range of about 222 to 226 with a setpoint of 225. Measured with my maverick just to be sure and it matched the built in probe to within a degree. Weirdly the built in dial thermometer also matched the temperature pretty closely and I normally put zero faith in those things.

Smoked some cheddar in the bottom of the cool cabinet for four hours while I was at it. Vac packed now and we'll see what that's like in a week or so.

Very happy so far!

Comment

Nice score, and great to hear how accurate it is. Congrats on a great deal! MichaelF

Comment

Awesome you and your family will be eating well

Comment

Nice cook!!!!!

Comment

Congrats on making the choice that suited your needs the best, MichaelF . With so many options out there, it's sometimes difficult to zero down to the right one. Congrats too on that nice-looking rib cook.

Kathryn

Comment

Hmm.. late to the party. I considered a pellet burner a few weeks ago and ultimately decided against it. The easy setup and cooks were attractive, but ultimately the idea that a pellet grill is actually an outdoor wood oven rather than a grill made my mind up for me. It doesn't reach top temps that I want for searing steaks, chops, burgers, etc. I decided my 22 Kettle with SnS was sufficient and versatile enough.

But that's just my personal decision-making process. Not really relevant to your situation or needs. Looks like you got a nice rig there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here