Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed - Camp Chef DLX or PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed - Camp Chef DLX or PBC?

I'm mulling over one or the other. I know eventually MCS will set in but it's just one for now! I currently have a Weber Summit gasser and do a lot of sous-vide-que (starting and finishing on the grill with the SV in between) for brisket, ribs, butt etc.

I'm happy with my current outputs but I want to expand my skills and am looking at one or the other of the DLX or PBC. I'm aware they're very different beasts and I've done a bunch of research on both but would love to hear some real world experience from my betters.

I’ve owned a PBC, and I currently own a pellet cooker. For me, I prefer the pellet cooker. Excellent results and super convenient. Yes, the PBC is convenient, but pellet cookers are CONVENIENT! As far as results, although different, both put out excellent food. I think part of the decision needs to be based on you and your lifestyle.

Comment

That's an excellent point. I have young kids so I don't have the time to constantly hover over a cook, which is why I ruled out stick burners/offsets etc. The one thing that I can't research on the interweb is the taste difference. Which do you prefer?

Comment

I have a PBC and love it for some things... however the thing I dislike about the PBC is using it for small or short cooks.

The pellet cooker: dump some pellets in, turn it on, set temp, cook food, flip switch off. I still monitor temp with wireless thermometer because nothing is truly set it and forget it.

Comment

If I had known about pellet grills and smoke tubes when my kids were at home that’s what I would have owned. Pour in pellets, set temp, put on meat, add temp devices and walk away. Can’t get much easier.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Like Nate said.

Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
          That's an excellent point. I have young kids so I don't have the time to constantly hover over a cook, which is why I ruled out stick burners/offsets etc. The one thing that I can't research on the interweb is the taste difference. Which do you prefer?
          As far as hovering over the cooker, you won’t really hover over either one as both are easy peasy. But as easy as both are, the pellet cookers are even easier peasier... lol.

As far as taste, that’s totally subjective. Most love what comes off the PBC, but there are some that do not like the taste of meat hanging/dripping on the fire (the grease fog flavor). Me? I enjoy the flavor that the PBC imparts! Why do I no longer have a PBC? I wanted a more versatile cooker that put out top notch food and would allow me to cook outdoors as frequently as possible (Like you, I have a house full of kids). The pellet grill is (imo) the best option for busy families!! Regarding flavor, I will leave you with this thought. I have been cooking outdoors for 25+ years. I have owned way more than my fair share of cookers (gas, charcoal, wood and pellets). I have been blessed to have a few pretty nice cookers over the years. Out of all of the cookers I have had, I get more compliments from the food that comes from my pellet cookers than any other. Pellet cookers put out a very widely accepted and pleasant flavor profile... never harsh or overwhelming. Best I can describe it... the food comes out with a smoke seasoning vs just being smoked.

Comment

Pellet grill then when life slows down a click or 2 PBC

Comment

I have owned a Pellet, have a 22 in ugly drum, WSM 18.5 and 22 Kettle w SNS. There's nothing easier than something that controls fuel source and fire which a Pellet does. However in my opinion the flavor is not as rich and you give up some fire control. Control meaning if I want to add a different wood I just put a chunk on instead of having to empty a container and refill how I want the wood blend.

In my opinion I would go to a WSM and add the Gateway rib hanger. Will have more flexibility than just a PBC. Also if you do not get the charcoal amount right then just take the barrel off and it is easy to reload. Plus you have more vents. Also they have adapters for stuff like the DigiQ or any other Pit controller. Also can get rotisserie attachments. I use my rotisserie on the WSM at least once a week and do not have to baby sit a fire at all. You can save some fuel by getting the charcoal ring from a 14.5.

Comment

Sounds like a pellet grill would be your best choice for your situation. I would also recommend a grill with wifi. Being able to control and monitor your grill from wherever you're at gives you even more freedom. I agree with Fire Art definitely plan on a PBC in the future. There is just something about charcoal for one, and it's just plain fun to cook on.

Comment

Some great advice here. Looks like I'm heading down the pellet route.Thank you all!

Comment

• rwalters
                    rwalters commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Personally, I think you are making the right choice! I’d you wanna play with charcoal/live fires, you can always pick up a Weber kettle for next to nothing on CL. Besides my pellet cooker, the only other cooker I have is a 26 Weber kettle. I love it and use it fairly often. But I love pellets even more.

• Harpeth2018
                    Harpeth2018 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey neighbor...let us know which pellet cooker you settle on. Still trying to make up my mind and I've "picked the one" about 4 times in the past year! I know you said Camp Chef but you might go down the rabbit hole reading reviews on this site...and change your mind again...and again...

I've been a huge PBC enthusiast for several years and, even though I had to find mine a new home recently (no fault of the PBC), I remain a big fan. I replaced it a few weeks ago with a new pellet-pooper from Grilla Grills and, frankly, I'm blown away and totally happy with my decision. I suspect that, if you take the pellet route, you will be too.

Comment

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MBMorgan, I have that little treager scout pellet grill, and I love it for stuff like burgers and dogs. I plan on getting a larger pellet grill and keeping the kettle/sns and giving the wsm to one of my kids one of these days pretty soon. Maybe Santa will leave a one in the garage this year...

• MBMorgan
                    MBMorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    klflowers - when you're ready to shop, don't overlook Grilla Grills. They make a couple of really excellent pellet smokers. I got the one that looks like R2D2 dressed as Darth Vader (I'm deck space constrained), and they make another more conventional-looking unit they call the silverbac.

I had the same dilemma between the two cookers. I ultimately went with the DLX and I do not regret it at all. I really enjoy what i have been able to make with it.

Comment

I have a pellet grill and a PBC and used the pellet grill mostly when I needed the convenience. One factor to consider is the PBC has no moving parts or tech that quits working and let's face it all tech eventually quits working such as the controller board in my pellet grill. Just saying.

Comment

I am a PBC fan. For single brisket or ribs or chicken it is a set it and forget it. The only time you have to fiddle with it is when cook two briskets. As cgrover60 said nothing mechanical to break down. For $300 it is worth it and the the look on people’s face when you pull a brisket out of the barrel is epic! Most people have never seen anything like it! Then they take a bite of the food you attain hero status! Good luck with your decision.
                      Last edited by jecucolo; October 19, 2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
                        I'm mulling over one or the other. I know eventually MCS will set in but it's just one for now! I currently have a Weber Summit gasser and do a lot of sous-vide-que (starting and finishing on the grill with the SV in between) for brisket, ribs, butt etc.

I'm happy with my current outputs but I want to expand my skills and am looking at one or the other of the DLX or PBC. I'm aware they're very different beasts and I've done a bunch of research on both but would love to hear some real world experience from my betters.
                        I have a PBC, and love it. It sets up easy, and cleans up easy. However, it does not hold as steady a temperature as I would like. But that's just me. The food still tastes great.

I want a pellet smoker, but I've read in a bunch of different places that the smoke flavor is different - a milder smoke flavor. So I'm gonna wait and cook on a friend's pellet smoker and sample the results for myself. If I like it, I'll eventually buy one.

Keep in mind that the pellet smoker has moving parts.
                        Last edited by TBoneJack; November 11, 2018, 02:11 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here