Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a gasser to charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a gasser to charcoal

Hi everyone, I have an idea and would like to run it by you guys.
    I have 2 old weber platinum gas bbq that have run their course and I was thinking of converting them, cutting off opposing ends of the fire box and the lid and weld them back together and use it as a charcoal grill.
    Obviously the interior would need some modifications; ash tray, charcoal grate / basket, vents, chimney and perhaps some bracing...
    Has anyone attempted such a task, any thoughts?
    thanks

I can't help, but I'm lookin' forward to the photos.

Comment

Wow ... this may not be what you're hoping to hear but, unless you place zero value on your time, I'd lose the old gassers, get yourself a Weber 26" kettle with SnS, and enjoy ...

... oh, and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Seems like a lot of work but if you have the time and the skills then go for it. Don’t know what your fire boxes are made out of but welding gauge metal can be tricky.

Comment

Gas grills are designed so they don’t blow up even by accident. Most charcoal grills are nearly air tight so you control the heat with dampers. I’m very sure it can be done

Comment

This is how I got into charcoal cooking: About 12 years ago my gasser give up the ghost. I’d been wanting to try charcoal cooking, so when the time came I simply ripped out all the internals of that gasser, threw the small upper rack into the bottom to hold the charcoal, and BAM! Charcoal grilling!

I had zero control over airflow, but for getting it hot to grill on it worked great. Shortly after that, when I was totally sold on charcoal cooking, I bought a Weber Performer. That, of course, became a gateway to smoking...

Comment

I can’t visualize it, and it seems like an awful lot of work. I would rather be cooking, but if that kind of challenge rings your bell, go for it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here