Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting the charcoal in fire season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting the charcoal in fire season

I live in an area prone to wildfires this time of year. I'm going through brisket withdrawal however and want to think about ways to safely do some smoking.

My main concern is lighting the charcoal. My chimney is great but does let off a lot of hot embers into the atmosphere. Has anyone ever tried attaching some sort of cap or lid to a chimney that would prevent that?

Try a metal strainer.

Comment

Just a thought... maybe poke a bunch of holes in a foil pan, flip it over and put it on top? I think you'll have to have airflow at the top of the chimney maybe small holes will prevent larger embers.

Comment

What cooker are you using? If I was using my Weber I would start it with a Weber lighter cube in the kettle. If I was using my kamado then I would use a torch and start the fire in the cooker. You could go lid down for extra safety and it never hurts to hose down the ground around your cooker.
        Last edited by Attjack; September 21, 2018, 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Comment

I agree with Attjack about using starter cubes as there shouldn't be any sparks flying around. By all means set up in a clear area, at least 30' from vegetation. Have a water source and/or dry chem extinguisher readily available, and use your best judgement when the weather is hot and dry. And on a windy day just get a pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon Pride BBQ View Post
            Try a metal strainer.
            That's a great idea. I'm going to try this one: http://a.co/d/6tWh22s

Comment

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
              What cooker are you using? If I was using my Weber I would start it with a Weber lighter cube in the kettle. If I was using my kamado then I would use a torch and start the fire in the cooker.
              I'm using a backwoods (water) smoker so I need to start the charcoal before loading it in the pan. The design of the smoker prevents embers from coming out during the cook-- no problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
                I agree with Attjack about using starter cubes as there shouldn't be any sparks flying around. By all means set up in a clear area, at least 30' from vegetation. Have a water source and/or dry chem extinguisher readily available, and use your best judgement when the weather is hot and dry. And on a windy day just get a pizza.
                Hmm I do use weber cubes and I'm using mostly Kingsford blue, and as the coals on the bottom get really hot they spit out tons of embers. This doesn't happen to everyone?

I wish I had 30' of clearing to use. I basically live in a forest and do what I can to use a clearing. There is ALWAYS a fire extinguisher nearby and sadly they don't deliver pizza out here! :-) :-)

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, I don't really get sparks unless I'm using lump.

Not sure how your cooker works but I have similar fire safety concerns. I use a fan controlled PK360...load it up with coal, light a cube, close the lid & let the fan blow it up to temp. Spark free.

Comment

The Are code is you must have a 1/4 metal screen spark Arrester. charcoal coolers have to be enclosed. Welding and spark making activities 9’ of cleated earth but as said above by CaptainMike order pizzas
                  Last edited by Fire Art; September 22, 2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Grover View Post
                    Not sure how your cooker works but I have similar fire safety concerns. I use a fan controlled PK360...load it up with coal, light a cube, close the lid & let the fan blow it up to temp. Spark free.
                    Great idea!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here