Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS in Reverse: If You Could Only Have One Cooker, Which One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS in Reverse: If You Could Only Have One Cooker, Which One?

I am really impressed with the price to performance ratio of my Char-Griller Legacy charcoal grill with attached firebox. With 798 square inches of grate real estate (grill grate - 31.5" x 17.75", side firebox - 14.5" x 16.5" check my math) I can do anything that can be done on a grill or smoker. It did take a lot of work tightening it up enough to function as I wanted/needed it to. But it was well worth it. Yes it is mostly thin gauge steel, but I do not care. It works, and works well! Better than I thought it would. It only cost me $270 ($190 for the grill on sale, $80 for the side firebox) plus the cost of a Lava Lock gasket kit. I have not tried it as a stick burner only yet because my neighbors are close to me, there is an HOA, and it is a hot summer, windows are open. That is why I am not using my KBQ, it smokes a lot. I do not want to be that guy that has to sell it. I use my KBQ more in the winter months, it does not snow here.

What say you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_153544.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	549458

A kamado. If I could really only have just ONE grill (shudder) I'd probably splurge and get a Komodo Kamado Big Bad (with the black pebble tiles of course) rather than just a BGE or KJ or Primo.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      The advantage of a kamado is that, while they aren't the best at any one thing, they are really good at almost everything.

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      No rules

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally 100% agree with Histrix. I would have a KK big Bad. They are works of art as well as fantastic cookers.

My kettle

Comment

I don't have one, but would opt for the PK360. It's a do-all and portable.

Comment

• radshop
        radshop commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that's a good call. I don't have one either, but I might give my PK classic to my son so I have an excuse to get the 360.

Defintily the performer. Hot and fast. Low and slow. If only it was 26”.

Comment

Probably something custom designed. Sort of like "the good one" but able to use the flat top from my Blackstone 36, and has a water pan that can hold a few gallons.

Direct heat grilling: check
        griddle: check
        low and slow: check

But truthfully while it may be good for all three, it would be great at neither. If there was truly a "one and done" we would all have it.

Comment

I’m loving my Komodo Kamado but I still have MCS and it shows no sign of letting up.

Comment

I give up. Can’t find or figure out what MCS stands for. I’m tired of ready by it and not being able to figure out the acronym.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              More Cooker Syndrome...

• smn1285
              smn1285 commented
              Editing a comment
              🤦 And thanks for the acronym link. That is what I couldn’t find. Alright, I’m back on track.

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              I always thought it meant Multiple Cooker Syndrome.

This is easy. My Performer. I have the Performer and a Smokeshack electric smoker. The electric has not been used since I purchased the SnS.

Comment

I'd have to go with my kettle, may need to step up to the larger size though. Is there a sns for the ranch kettle?

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                There is! But I haven't been able to justify the cost of it to myself, when a row of fire bricks propped up by regular clay bricks does a fine job.

If you asked me yesterday, I would have said my Weber Performer. Then I made some awesome chicken on my 33 year old offset and fell in love with what it can do again. But... nah. My Performer would be the one I would choose, as it can sear/fry/smoke/griddle/etc. The offset doesn't have the level of temperature control, especially if I slide the charcoal tray in the main chamber and try to grill (which takes about 20# of charcoal!). And the Genesis gave me fits with a nasty grease fire under the grill grates just this past weekend. Performer all the way!

Comment

My WSCG and I dont even have to give it thought.

Comment

I would go with my Weber Ranch kettle. It is already my cooker of choice for brisket. It can grill or smoke low and slow as small or large an amount of food as I realistically need.

Mrs. R. is always hinting that I should get rid of "the spaceship," but I will give it up when she pries it out of my cold dead hands.
                  Last edited by Steve R.; August 15, 2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Weber 26” with SNS, without hesitation.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Indeed

• Butchman
                      Butchman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ditto

The K750HS Hybrid Freestanding Grill with Sideburner. Period.
                    by Kalamazoo Grills.

Comment

• Fire Art
                      Fire Art commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That would do it

• Thunder77
                      Thunder77 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Only your youngest child?

• bten
                      bten commented
                      Editing a comment
                      if the oldest is a teenager, you usually have to pay to get rid of those....

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here