Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking for a friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking for a friend

I’m not sure if this is where this post it to go. Please move it if need be. So I was asked by a friend to smoke 4 pork butts for him for his wife’s surprise birthday party. This kind of thing is exciting for me because any chance to fire up the Egg is good with me. He mentioned that he’d pay me "whatever." I was thinking more about this and I haven’t mentioned what I would/should charge him. I was tentatively thinking $10 per butt. He is supplying the butts and I’m supplying the charcoal, egg, and obviously my time. What would you guys do in this situtation? Should I not charge him at all? Charge him more? I would love to do this kind of thing on the side for family and friends for grad parties, or get togethers or whatever so I’d like to have some sort of plan in place. Like, I’m tentative about not charging him and 3 months down the road he wants me to smoke him something else and then I say that I need to charge him now. Any ideas of how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. At the end of the day $40 isn’t going to break me or him, I guess I’m just looking for a plan.

The last time I was asked by my neighbor to smoke him 2 briskets that he supplied I didn’t charge anything And he surprised me with my favorite bottle of whiskey. I was pumped for that "payment".

Personally, I really just enjoy the cook. So if friends/family every now and then supplies me with product to smoke, and I’m invited to said gathering, I would not feel right about charging. However, if it turns into smoking stuff for events you are not part of or invited to, that is when I would consider charge. That is what makes sense in my brain at least.

Comment

Is this a good friend or more of an acquaintance?

Good friend:

Just tell him that you wouldn't mind at all and the first time is a freebie, but that it takes X hours plus charcoal to do it, so there will have to be some sort of compensation in the future. You could also invite him over to learn how to smoke a butt - he brings the beer.

Acquaintance:

OK, but I charge X per butt to cover the cost of charcoal and my time.

Comment

Thanks for the response. He is a good friend and I am invited to said party. So I will probably do it as a freebie and not expect anything in return.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya live like ~60 miles, as th crow flies, from where I was raised.
          Ya know how we roll, brother...

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Just say Happy Birthday.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones is Southern wise, it will always come out in the wash.

My wife is often asked to make pizzas for friends’ parties. We just do it and even provide the necessary ingredients. On such occasions we DON’T offer the obligatory bottle of wine when we arrive as "guests". We do however normally consume enough adult beverages during the party to consider it at least a break even deal.
        Last edited by MBMorgan; August 15, 2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          There ya have it. That's how friends work.
          Fair dinkum!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Fair dinkum?? How about True Dat?

FYI, this belongs in the "Smoking Butts for a Friend " category. 🤗

Comment

Agree with the consensus to do it for free. However, if this is something you want to start doing as an established side-hustle, I think it's reasonable to start charging folk, even those who have gotten free butt (hehe), the going rate once those rates are established and you are fully off the ground with the venture. If they are actually friends they should should be happy to give you their business!

Oh, and fwiw, I've been thinking the same thing. Right now my thinking is I should start very small, and very limited. Get friends to order racks of ribs for their football get-togethers and see how it goes from there. Then maybe get into wings... maybe.
          Last edited by ClayJones; August 15, 2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• ClayJones
            ClayJones commented
            Editing a comment
            Guilty. What I need is to start incorporating a little more doing!

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            If you want to do this for money, I suggest you check with an insurance company. A couple people getting sick could be disastrous financially without insurance.

• ClayJones
            ClayJones commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that's a great suggestion Ron. Creating an LLC is probably a wise way to go as well.

I agree with everyone, but wanted to add one point. I'd do it for free until you have your business laid out. Meaning, have your catering menu with prices set for all to see and then you can hold to it, because at that point even family/friends would be taking away your time from when you could be earning money - opportunity cost (not to say you still can't do it for a discount or free if you choose).

In my opinion, it would be good to start out free for as many friends and family as possible to spread the word and show your work. Invaluable learning curve there for not only feedback on the food, but a host of other things.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here