Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done up to a 22lb turkey on my 18 WSM. It was a tight fit, but it worked out pretty good. I am on my second WSM- had my first one for 15 years, but I didn't maintain it right (left it out without a cover, mostly). It takes a little tinkering until you get used to it, but now I can run at 225 for 8 or 9 hours without messing with it. I also just got a kettle with a SNS, haven't had the chance to try it yet, but the reviews on this site have me pretty excited about using it.

By the way, welcome to the pit from TN.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from NYC. I have a WSM 22. It ran hot for the first few smokes. I eventually stumbled on the guide below on how to properly season a new WSM (reading the guide was my first interaction with amazingribs.com!!). I have not had any real issues with it since.

You can set up a gas grill to get excellent smoke roasted barbecue if you know how. Here's how gas grills work, the best setups, and how to maintain them.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        So @Brumby with your WSM 22", can you run both 225F for low and slow, and also get it up to 350-ish to cook chicken with crispy skin? I have been pondering a PBC as I hear how it does chicken and ribs so well, but The WSM 22" may be the way I end up going, as it just gives you more control over the cook. I smoke now on a Performer with SNS, and a 30+ year old offset.

• Bumby
        Bumby commented
        Editing a comment
        I can definitely do 225 low & slow. However, I wasn't great at managing temperature on the high side (e.g., 350), which meant that with the WSM I typically did chicken at 225 and then broiled it to finish. I did better at maintaining 350 (usually within 10 degrees) when I reduced the amount of water in the pan during the smoke. (This is one issue I've solved for with my new pellet smoker).

Goes To 11 the WSM is a proven system. I don’t have one, but many do. I am not aware of many people saying they are "bad".

But take your time. Set your budget range, and explore your options in that range. The important thing is to be happy. Get something that will work for what you want to do.

Comment

If I only wanted to smoke, and had no other cooking techniques in mind, I'd probably go with the WSM. My dad has the PBC and it's pretty nice... I don't have anything bad to say about it, but I do like the better temperature control I get with my kettle + SnS. It's also the most versatile cooker I can think of that isn't outside of your implied budget. You can do everything from a very low smoke to a rip-roaring pizza cook, and it's the best for big party burgers and dogs mass production.

Comment

No love for the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill? The site review was very positive.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s too expensive for most of us I would imagine. At least it is for me - 2 in college and 2 weddings in the next couple of months. I would get the Summit if I had an unlimited budget...

I recently purchase a 55 gallon UDS very similar to the Gateway the brand is Route 66. It runs at around 225-275 without issue even when I put some Kamado joe big block lump charcoal, did have vents almost all the way shut. Did some ribs and they turned out great. Great smoker.

My critic of it is that you have to reach in to adjust charcoal/fire if needed and if you accidently leave hanging ribs too long they will likely get fall a part and fall into the charcoal. I think the weber smokey mountain is better. It comes a part so easy to use and adjust. There's a rotisserie that fits great for it. Probe ports standard. Easy adapters exist for PID controllers. Can buy a hanger for the Gateway smoker and hang meat like a PBC. Also you get two cooking grates. Not to mention there's more potential to find a craigslist used one for pretty cheap.

Comment

Love that area - welcome to the PIT. Now, go fishing.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! If cost is a major factor then a Pit Barrel Cooker or another bullet smoker is a good choice. It will be tough to beat a Kamado in cold weather.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                BriggsBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                My kamado fell over and broke into pieces. I’d say it’s the best all in one day to day cooker I’ve had.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice. Here is an update. We ended up not getting the patio done this year so I was going to wait before getting a smoker but I went to Home Depot yesterday and saw the WSM 22.5 on clearance for $299 down from $499. So that's what I bought. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I have time to fire it up but it was such a good deal that I had to go for it.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                BriggsBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a great deal. I have the 18 in version. I had a 14.5 but it was stolen but the charcoal ring was in the garage so I cook small cooks with the smaller ring to save on charcoal. Cajunbandit has cook stuff for the WSM also youtube Phil from Florence.

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                Good choice, and a great deal - I think you'll love it. i had a 14.5, but gave it to my son when i got my pellet grill. It did some great food while i had it.

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, I see you posted this back in September. Well, you should have cooked on it by now. What do you think? Are you happy with it? Have you posted pics of your cooks here?

Congratulations Goes To 11 . We can debate forever on what the best smoker is, but any smoker is better than no smoker. Have fun.

BTW, I just reread your original post. Along with my pellet smoker I also have a Weber Genesis that I used for indirect cooking/smoking in much the same way you did. Lefthand burner on, meat over on the right. Cooked pork butts etc. that way, over the winter. Considering the fatty meat I had been cooking/smoking I had noticed that the grease catcher had not accumulated much grease. Then last spring, I was heating the grill up and had a grease fire, big grease fire. You know what is right under the right hand burner, and the pan that is supposed to carry the grease back over to the left side? At least on my Genesis? The propane hose and tank. All that grease that had dripped down onto the pan, which had not been hot enough to keep it liquid so it went into the grease catch, caught fire. the grease fire was big enough, hot enough, that it melted the hose to the propane tank, so I not only had a grease fire, I had a propane fire. Last spring, I had cleaning the grill on my to-do list, but had not had time. Hopefully, you are better than me about keeping your grill clean, but since you now have a smoker, and assuming you are keeping the gasser, make sure the grease has not built up.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                BriggsBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, that is crazy. Glad the fire was able to be contained you are good now.

Congrats on the WSM. I was going to suggest an insulated vertical cabinet. Great for cold temps. Better capacity than a BGE. Can run for hours on minimal charcoal because they are super efficient.

Comment

@"Goes To 11" If you’re still thinking, let me recommend the WSM. I upgraded to that from a Weber Kettle + SNS. I wish I’d done it sooner. The WSM is inexpensive and foolproof. I got great results on by very first attempts at ribs and pulled pork on that thing. The only real question is, 18 or 22? The 18 inch model was in stock at my local Lowes, so that’s what I brought home.

Watch some videos on how to foil the water pan & how to build your charcoal fire. Harry Soo has some good ones, as does the site, "Virtual Weber Bullet."

The drum-style smoker was tempting, but like you I’d like the versatility to occasionally catch pan drippings (Turkey, roast chicken).

Good luck!

Comment

My first inclination would be to suggest the venerable WSM. I think they're outstanding and once you get it dialed in can crank out amazing food. (Award winning even.)

That said, many around here love their PBCs... Unlike the Weber, I have ZERO experience with one though. I've never seen one in person and have never tasted anything cooked on one. Some say the flavour is different...whether that's good, bad or indifferent probably depends on who is asked. If indeed it is different...as I said, zero experience.

I would have a look at not only the reviews...but the channels for each of them. LOADS of info & first hand experience to read about.

Either of those should prove a winner without costing a small fortune.
                  For shear versatility...a kamado is fantastic...but at a price.

FWIW, I don't have my WSM because I have the WSCG. GREAT cooker...but it's also more than some people's house payment. O_o

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here