Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying? I recommend you do your homework!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying? I recommend you do your homework!

Hi - this is for newbies. I thought to share my mistake-trodden path to grill and smoking heaven. (I'm still on my journey.)

Research all the additions and hacks you may want to make, or will make, to the grill or smoker you're buying. Do them before you use your cooker. It's way easier to mod a new device than clean, strip and partially dismantle one that's been in use.

Do you want probes? Put in a grommet. Do you want a good seal? Buy a gasket roll or kit. Do you need a shelf? Buy it, before you buy the cover. Get my gist? Do you plan on an additional vent or chimney, or extra shelving? Bask in my awestruck admiration - you're already way ahead of the game.

And light that fire! When the defining moment arrives (also known as the stall), you define the moment or the moment defines you.

You want a good seal use your grill and let it form. Cheaper and more fun

Comment

If I clean this, it will fall apart. And I used it last night...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean it and it will fall apart 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	542031

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you, I'll clean them when they seem to need cleaning, but cosmetics generally isn't the deciding factor.

Stall schmall, since I found this site I have adapted my philosophy to what many advocate here: don't sweat the stall and the stall won't sweat you. (See what I did there, sweat.....stall)

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Mind = blown 💥

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Bwahahaha! Happy to oblige Huskee

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Stalls? We don’t need no stinking stalls !!!

What you are saying is great advice that’s hard to follow. Every expensive hobby starts with a toe dip and grows from there. You don’t know what you need until you need it. Example, I started with a maverick, then got a flame boss, now I have a FireBoard. Maverick I might as well throw in the trash but when I started it seems like a big investment. 5 years ago I had one cooker on my patio which I no longer have but it has been replaced with 4 others thanks to this site. When I told me wife I wanted to get a Yoder the other night she said "get whatever you need but maybe you should think holistically about everything you need out there and now we are using the patio before buying anything else." Easier said than done. MCS is a B.
      Last edited by adamjs83; August 2, 2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Four cookers instead of One, BECAUSE OF THIS SITE. Maybe we have a class action suit here...

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd write more, but I have to go to my Pit Masters Anonymous meeting now..

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        My journey with thermometers is similar. Started with Maverick, then Thermoworks Q, Dot, Chef Alarm & Smoke followed by the Fireboard. Not to mention the Meater Block that I ordered 22 months ago but still have not received. I won't even talk about all of the smokers that this forum MADE me buy lol.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here