Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat grilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat grilling

Hi all,

My son just bought a nice new pontoon boat, and I immediately thought some kind of grilling set up would be a nice "boat warming" gift. Anyone here have any experience with any particular set up? Thanks,

AL S.

Haven't done it, but, if I was asked along, I'd take one (or more) Smokey Joes, or same same Go Anywhere's.
    I'd feel capable of producin good food, under either condition, an enjoy th ride...

Comment

I’ve seen grills mounted on pontoon boats but not up close. This will be awesome to see when you get it done!

Comment

they make them. Just google!

Comment

There are a ton out there, but I have never used one or even seen one up close.

My comment is that if the boat will ever be used in salt water, the grill should be made out of marine grade stainless.

Comment

Whatever you do BE CAREFUL. Grills on boats can be dangerous as well as possibly being restricted in your area. You don’t want to end up a recipient to the Darwin Awards !!!

Comment

A trip to West Marine’s catalog or the like can give you some ideas. We used a grill on our sailboat for years and it was a great alternative to the galley stove and oven. Getting the right mounts for the boat is important as Mr. HawkerXP’s photos demonstrate.

Comment

definately propane as charcoal can be difficult to dispose of

Comment

I would caution this move, There are always a few gril-on-boat fires out on Minnetonka, every summer. My dad thought the same thing as you did when he got his pontoon, the fire hazard and the waves beating the grill up made us decide against it.

Comment

I'd stay strictly away from charcoal ... which pretty much leaves propane. Heck, I won't even burn charcoal on my wooden deck at home ... for example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Why Im no longer allowed to BBQ on the deck.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	539836
                    Disclaimer ... that's not really a photo of my deck and I'm going to be very sure that it never will be.

Comment

As others have said, I'd stay away from charcoal on a boat, not worth the hazard. Magma infrared marine grills are a little pricey but have a good reputation around here.

Comment

Had one of these on the sailboat and loved it. Like mentioned do a google on stainless sailboat grills and there are ton's of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1431606037.088181.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	539872

Comment

Magma is the Webber of marine grills. They use all marine grade stainless steel, they WILL NOT corrode. You said pontoon so I am assuming fresh water, magma grills will withstand saltwater.

There are others too, but I don’t know how they compare to Magma.

Anyhow as everyone said get a gas one. They make charcoal stainless steel stuff, but charcoal plus boat equals a mess. The charcoal will get wet, you have a live fire on a boat, and so on. Gas is so much easier and safer.

Get the rail mounts that extend overboard. That way if anything happens it happens overboard. Keeping a bucket of emergency water nearby isn’t a terrible idea.

Comment

Another vote here for propane. The last thing you want is hot coals falling or bouncing out of a grill onto the deck of your boat. And if you can mount it such that the grill is overhanging above the water even better.

Comment

pk grill makes a lot of sense. Wont rust!

Comment

• jfmorris
                                jfmorris commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Unfortunately, its a bad idea as charcoal is not a good fuel for use on boats. Lighting coals in a windy condition, and disposing of them while on the water, is a big risk of setting your boat on fire.

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here