Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill decision dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill decision dilemma

Hey all, would be interested in getting others thoughts on the below.

Current situation: I have a large BGE, Mak 2-star general, and a 42" Lynx. I'm in the process of considering a grill shake-up for a couple of reasons:
    --once I got the Mak 2-star general, I found that I very very rarely use the BGE anymore
    --~5 years ago, the Lynx (which is ~12 years old) got a somewhat jury-rigged repair on the auto-ignite system by a local shop. Not sure if that has anything to do with current poor performance, but it's just not what it used to be. I have a repair scheduled in a few weeks to see if there actually is a problem that can be fixed or if it just needs a thorough cleaning

That said, I am considering a little bit of a grill shake up and have one rule I need to abide by . . . I cannot put more than 3 grills on our patio (wife proclamation that I can completely stand by).

Thoughts about the below:

Mak 2-star general: Keeping this. It's only 2 years old and I love it. It has become a primary grill for anything from low-and-slow smokes to seared steaks and chops. Paired with grill grates, it actually can get some nice sear. Going to update with a new drop in "module" that ups the top temperature to 650 (vs. ~400-450)

BGE: If I use this 3x a year, that would be a lot. Looking to replace this with either a Weber 22" Kettle (with Slow n Sear insert) or perhaps the PK Grill. I have also considered the American Grill Works Argentinian style rigs but I'm wondering how often I would actually use that vs. a kettle-style grill which seems like it might be more versatile

LYNX: If this can be fixed properly, I may keep it. But, it's 12 or so years old and I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new grill. For convenience's sake, and the fact that my wife can easily operate a gas grill by herself when I am not home, I think it makes sense to continue to have a gas grill. If I replace the Lynx, I have been considering splurging another top quality grill and have been considering:
    --Hestan Grills: Cooked on one at a local shop. Fantastic but this is a monster of a grill in terms of both size and weight. That's not a bad thing; it would just take up a ton of patio real estate
    --Alfresco Grill: Seem incredibly solid and have a lot of drop in options, including a drop in wood or charcoal fire box
    --Fire Magic: A perennial favorite on the Amazing Ribs reviews. I have heard some murmurings from a few dealers that there are so many electronics in this thing that upkeep and maintenance long term could be an issue
    --Weber Summit: Not quite in the same league as the above. But, I had a Weber Summit ~20+ years ago. It lasted me 10 years, then I passed it down to my sister. She and her husband just sold their house and left it for the new owners who apparently are still giving it a good go. The attraction to Weber is that positive history with the brand and their incredibly customer service

Thoughts on the above gas grills . . . and curious if anyone has a perspective on American Grill Works vs. a Weber Kettle / PK Grill

Thanks . . . and sorry for the long posting from a relative newbie but I promise I will return the favor!

Both the Weber and the PK are are more versatile than the AGW. There are ton of aftermarket accessories for the Weber including rotisseries and pizza cookers. If you need more cooking space, you might consider the 26" kettle with SnS, or the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill with SnS.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      My first thought was also the Weber 26" for the extra real estate.
      I can't help you with the gassers as I have not used one since I got my LSG offset.

• Parcival
      Parcival commented
      Editing a comment
      Solid recs. . . I forgot there was a 26" kettle. Had looked at the Summit but figured if I was going to go with a classic kettle, I might as well save some money somewhere, especially if I did a big splurge on the gas grill

You keep your wife away from the Mak? It's so much less intimidating than any gas grill, including a Lynx (which I have used).

Comment

• Parcival
      Parcival commented
      Editing a comment
      For some reason, she considers the MAK difficult to use. As you know, it is literally push-a-button simple. Not sure why, but she's just disinterested in learning to use anything other than a gas grill

so a weber summit can easily replace the BGE and add all of the versatility of the weber performer deluxe. but I might look at something like a englebrecht for versatility and fun. For a gasser check out the Napoleon prestige pro series.

Comment

• Parcival
      Parcival commented
      Editing a comment
      Gonna check out the Napoleon

Biggest downside of some of these nicer gas grills is that it is hard to find a shop where I can see them in person here in the Boston area. That won't stop me though!

If you are just looking for a basic gas grill, while the newest Weber Genesis II line gets some dings in reviews on searing performance, I am still using a 16 year old Weber Genesis that just won't quit. Weber wins out for me on warranty, support, and being able to buy parts for a grill that is 16+ years old still. I might have replaced the burners once in 16 years, along with a few other parts. Summit is a great gas grill with better searing performance, but for 3x the cost of something like the 3 burner Genesis... Sure you can get more burners and BTU's and larger grills, but if you have the MAK 2 Star for a large majority of your cooks, and the gasser is for convenience and for the wife's use, I am betting the Genesis 3 burner is big enough...

While the PK, especially the PK360 is a sexy charcoal grill, I don't think anything has as many available accessories on the market as the Weber kettle. I've got a Weber Performer Deluxe, and love the push button ignition of charcoal using propane assist, and its my favorite grill by far, a lot of that due to the large work table surface. If you are space constrained though, the Performer may not be for you. The 22" and 26" kettle when combined with accessories like the Slow 'N Sear, Drip 'N Griddle and even Grillgrates, is very versatile.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I would even forget the Sear add in for the MAK and just get a 3 burner Weber Spirit gasser to replace the Lynx. And then go either Ranch Kettle or PK360 to replace the BGE, with a SNS for the Kettle. The Kettle would be my practical go, but the PK360 is sexy.

I have to echo what jfmorris says. I just completely rebuilt my 20 year old Weber Genesis and had no problem finding parts. Added Grillgrates and it is a very good searing station, as well as a great rotisserie chicken cooker. Certainly not as sexy as some of the "upper-end" models out there, but I'll take function over form any day. The rest of the arsenal is a big old Traeger and a pimped-out Weber 22. I seem to split my time evenly among the cookers based on what's on the menu. We're building a 16' X 32' covered porch onto the house this summer and will add the WSCGC, a Santa Maria style grill, and a TBD flat top to the flock. Not sure if this is helpful, but just a fellow member's musings...

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris, if you look closely you'll see the three New Californias are built around the large population centers, which tend to vote a certain way. That is to say they vote pretty much the opposite of we Jeffersonians.

• Livermoron
      Livermoron commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd include water rights. If Jefferson actually ever became a reality, Jefferson would control the Feather river (and other) river basins that support LA and SF.

Not that it would be a bad thing...

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Livermoron the headwaters of the Sacramento river start from a spring in Mt Shasta city (pretty amazing actually) and all we'd have to do is turn the valve off!

You might want to look at the Delta Heat or even the Twin Eagles grills. They are made in the USA. These grills have the ceramic briquettes like the Lynx. The Fire Magic has metal flame tamers, like the Weber and Napoleon grills. The Alfresco and the Lynx have ceramic as well.

I have the 32" Delta Heat and I really like the way the controls work, I can get the temps right where I want them. I really like cooking over the ceramic briquettes.

The only downside to the Delta Heat is that it is not as deep as the Lynx or Twin Eagles grill.

If you are looking at high end grills, this might help:

Comment

On the charcoal/wood side, I would consider the Engelbrecht if you like the raising and lowering of the meat style. For flexibility I'm not sure you could find a better cooker. On the gas side, I'm a Weber guy. I don't particularly like the new Genesis models, but if your willing to go up to the Summits you'll never need another.

Comment

I don't understand why you are getting rid of the BGE? It sounds like you are into convenience of pellet (totally understand) and the gasser. A Weber and PK will require charcoal just like the BGE and I would argue that it might be a more versatile grill/smoker/oven than either of those.

Comment

I have had gas grill in the past and it was great. Now I have a weber 22" and I love it. The only thing I don't like is the fact I didn't get the 26". I have smoked brisket, pork shoulder, pork ribs and grilled steaks and chicken. I have a SnS and it makes the kettle really versatile. I don't think I'll go back to gas again.

Comment

• Livermoron
            Livermoron commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. the kettle and rotisserie attachment (along with the SnS) is an unbeatable combo. The only reason I'm looking at a gasser is because California has some days outlawing wood/charcoal burning...

I sell high end appliances for a living (been doing it for 8 years). I spent my own money on an Alfresco about 4 years ago, love it! Would definitely recommend that over a new Lynx... inserts are cool, the smoker box on it has a dedicated burner, the rotisserie motor is much stronger and integrated (no motor on the outside). Just a few of the things that I think makes it a better grill. I just got a hold of Hestan. Don’t know much about it yet, but seems like a monster of a grill. You might be paying a lot of money in the weight/fit/finish and not sure how much better it is performance wise.

Comment

After using my MAK 2 Star General about three times a week, I was so happy with it that I got rid of everything else I had. There is now more room on the patio, so my wife is happier. Regardless of which one you keep, the extra room should make your whole family happier.

Comment

all I can add is: She didn't say you couldn't put one in the garage.......

Comment

Originally posted by Parcival View Post
                Hey all, would be interested in getting others thoughts on the below.

Current situation: I have a large BGE, Mak 2-star general, and a 42" Lynx. I'm in the process of considering a grill shake-up for a couple of reasons:
                --once I got the Mak 2-star general, I found that I very very rarely use the BGE anymore
                --~5 years ago, the Lynx (which is ~12 years old) got a somewhat jury-rigged repair on the auto-ignite system by a local shop. Not sure if that has anything to do with current poor performance, but it's just not what it used to be. I have a repair scheduled in a few weeks to see if there actually is a problem that can be fixed or if it just needs a thorough cleaning

That said, I am considering a little bit of a grill shake up and have one rule I need to abide by . . . I cannot put more than 3 grills on our patio (wife proclamation that I can completely stand by).

Thoughts about the below:

Mak 2-star general: Keeping this. It's only 2 years old and I love it. It has become a primary grill for anything from low-and-slow smokes to seared steaks and chops. Paired with grill grates, it actually can get some nice sear. Going to update with a new drop in "module" that ups the top temperature to 650 (vs. ~400-450)

BGE: If I use this 3x a year, that would be a lot. Looking to replace this with either a Weber 22" Kettle (with Slow n Sear insert) or perhaps the PK Grill. I have also considered the American Grill Works Argentinian style rigs but I'm wondering how often I would actually use that vs. a kettle-style grill which seems like it might be more versatile

LYNX: If this can be fixed properly, I may keep it. But, it's 12 or so years old and I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new grill. For convenience's sake, and the fact that my wife can easily operate a gas grill by herself when I am not home, I think it makes sense to continue to have a gas grill. If I replace the Lynx, I have been considering splurging another top quality grill and have been considering:
                --Hestan Grills: Cooked on one at a local shop. Fantastic but this is a monster of a grill in terms of both size and weight. That's not a bad thing; it would just take up a ton of patio real estate
                --Alfresco Grill: Seem incredibly solid and have a lot of drop in options, including a drop in wood or charcoal fire box
                --Fire Magic: A perennial favorite on the Amazing Ribs reviews. I have heard some murmurings from a few dealers that there are so many electronics in this thing that upkeep and maintenance long term could be an issue
                --Weber Summit: Not quite in the same league as the above. But, I had a Weber Summit ~20+ years ago. It lasted me 10 years, then I passed it down to my sister. She and her husband just sold their house and left it for the new owners who apparently are still giving it a good go. The attraction to Weber is that positive history with the brand and their incredibly customer service

Thoughts on the above gas grills . . . and curious if anyone has a perspective on American Grill Works vs. a Weber Kettle / PK Grill

Thanks . . . and sorry for the long posting from a relative newbie but I promise I will return the favor!
                Soooo, what did you end up doing?

Comment

I am also curious to hear what you came up with.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here