Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas or Electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas. Electric combustion is inferior, though no Brinkman electric owner will ever accept that science.
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 11, 2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I started on. Upgraded quickly. I even went as far as adding charcoal and wood to the bottom.

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      But doesn't the good Dr. say you don't need smoke to get a smoke ring... I will just go get a bottle of nitric oxide from the industrial gas place, run a tube from the bottle into the air intake and place the smoker next to my exhaust pipe on my running truck. Simple.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve made a nice smoke ring with curing salt in a brine. It’s really not about the smoke ring. It’s about the flavor.

I read your comment in one of the posts above about problems controlling gas. It is true that you will have to fiddle with the setting some on a gas smoker like the Smoke Vault 24, but from the reviews I've read it is very good and holding temperature, and can go high enough to do decent chicken, unlike some other smokers. In all cases don't trust the built in thermometer, and use a quality remote probe thermometer to monitor the smoker temperature.

Comment

Well, the concern for a wild fire that prompted this post actually came and finally got put out. Fortunately, it never got closer than about a mile and half from the house. Unfortunately, they (the county) decided that they were not going to allow any outdoor cooking on any type of cooker regardless of the fact that the fire wasn't sparked by outdoor cooking. So, I guess the question now is what is your favorite type of liquid smoke and what technique do you use to make ribs in a crockpot?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Above all, I am greatly relieved that yall are safe, an sound.

But! Re: Above...

Ouch! While I can fully appreciate th concerns to not start a huge wildfire fire, that mandate seems heavy handed, even misinformed, an poorly thought out...

Is this like a temporary 'Burn Ban', or an 'Evermore' type of decree?

Yegads! Are ya sure they allow fer outdoor crockpot use?

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        It is temporary until the rains/snow return, but that might be Sept or later..

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Forget the crock pot and go with the oven. You can make a passable unsmoked rib in the oven. Better with Sous Vide and the oven. There’s no need to get radical and go crock pot.

Well better safe than your house burns down in a wildfire. Remember, there are idiots out there who will decide to fry a turkey....but they will be drunk and stupid, and the results are predictable. It only takes one.

Anyway I think you could do decent pulled pork in a slow cooker. I have done it before when the weather was not cooperating. I would do ribs in the oven though. With a water pan. Think electric smoker only with liquid smoke, not smoke smoke. Better than nothing.

However there is a loophole I am detecting. No OUTSIDE cooking? Well my garage isn’t "outside". It has walls and a roof. Now being an enclosed space charcoal is a big NO-GO! Carbon monoxide and all that. I don’t understand why a gas stove in my home is perfectly safe but propane will kill you.....but whatever. I would be leery of gas too because enclosed space and all. However what if I had (in my garage) a toaster oven and a pellet smoke tube?

Comment

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        I could do it in the garage, but then I have to install some ventilation...

FWIW, I've still got an Old Smokey electric that is sealed tight, smokes with wood chips, and that has turned out some pretty good chickens, turkeys, ribs, etc., over the years. You might have a look at one of those as an inexpensive alternative that will get you through fire season.

Comment

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        I have an electric smoker, but even those are now prohibited. No gas, no electric, no charcoal, and no wood.. No outdoor cooking.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        tstalafuse - holy crap, that stinks! Even Douglas County hasn't gone that far ... yet ...

Sorry to hear about your situation - and it’s unfortunate people think they should legislate how you can live in your own back yard, especially when cooking had nothing to do with what went on. Electric smokers especially are nothing more than an outdoor oven.

As others have said, you can adapt many of the recipes here to the oven or slow cooker. I would also consider a sous vide (I have an Anova), and just sear the meat in a cast iron skillet or hot oven. I’ve done great steaks with sous vide and a finish in a skillet, and a bacon wrapped pork loin seared in the oven after sous vide is always good. All sorts of possibilities...

Comment

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the Anova as well, but it just doesn't quite compare to a rack of real smoked ribs..

Not with electric and a pellet smoke tube. Wood chips....yea. You will get more smoke.

You could build a thing out of wood that fits under the garage door with push/pull fans. Cheap 20 inch box fans, one blowing air in and the other blowing air out. Put them at opposite ends of the garage door for maximum circulation.

Using hard drier vent tubes you could fit that over the top vent of an electric smoker and run the vent to the "push" box fan. Smoke would rise up, follow the vent tube, then be exhausted. As long as the garage door is closed you aren’t outdoors.

But that may be pushing it. If the authorities arrive maybe you can explain it, maybe you get fined and have to explain it to a judge.

Anyhow just an idea. Probabably a not so great one, but a loophole is a loophole. The danger is very real, but then again reasonable is reasonable.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Re: Loooholes: that’s pretty good. Have you ever considered moving to Chicago. It’s pratically the town sport.

Do you have a garage? If so, I would be tempted to use an electric smoker in the garage with an exhaust fan or box fan to blow the smoke out an open door or window. Then it’s indoor cooking but you get real smoke. I brew beer using a propane burner but do so in my garage, with the side door open and the roll up door cracked about a foot. I’ve got a CO detector out there and with the doors open have never had a build up. In case of an electric smoker if you only use the wood chips for a limited period of the cook, exhaust becomes even less of an issue.

Many bbq joints use gas smokers with wood chips, and all that is done indoors - it’s all about ventilation.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here