Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you leave your lids up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you leave your lids up?

Not always but often I like to leave the lids up on my cookers to get airflow in there. On a related note do your cookers smell delicious? Cause mine do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180515_180626.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	504584

Nope,closed lids here.

Comment

Decades ago, when I was married, I'd git in some powerful Big Trouble fer "leavin th lid up"...
      Since then, reckon I jus do it outta spite, lol!

I also do, on my cookers, situationally dependent...
      Yup, they smell delicious!

Comment

Not down here ya don't.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea toe jamb sucks

I do on my stickburner periodically, if it's sunny and dry for a stretch. This is to prevent mold from it being too stuffy and warm inside. Right now its lid is up, but not my kettles or PBC or other charcoal grill.

Comment

Closed
          Rain, tree and bird droppings

Comment

Why is only bones answering my second question?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, they smell delicious, except for before the first post-winter burnout!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF
              Mine cook all winter long, so no problem, amigo!
              (Course, I don't live in th NE, either...)

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones I still have to admire your fortitude. I spent a couple of winters at Ft. Leavenworth (outside "the wall") as a teenager when my dad was stationed there. It got muy frio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	504830
            Last edited by Troutman; May 25, 2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Depends on what kinda bizness I need to conduct, an in how much of a rush I might be in...ymmv.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              3. That seat goes down even easier than it goes up! 😀

• W.A.
              W.A. commented
              Editing a comment
              #3 will get you slapped in my house

Lid down always. Don't really make a point of smelling them. I'd probably notice if they smelled particularly bad, and they don't.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm talking smelling good. People comment that my grills smell good when they check them out.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack Agreed, Brother!
              I've sealed many a caterin deal, word of mouth, when somebody stops by to assess my operation, an I lift th lid of my smokers, fer them to appreciate...

I have this weird habit of sticking my head inside my stickburner when I am in the vicinity. Not when it's up to temp, of course.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I do this too, brother!
              Smells like Hickory Heaven!:
              On sunny days, I can smell that goodness from like 20 ft away, with lids closed on my stickburners.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Saves money on haircuts, though!

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I should get a 50% discount on haircuts anyway.

I leave my lids open only after giving the grills a good cleaning, to let them dry out. Then lids down, covers on.

Even my stick burner has a cover this year, after finding a nice moldy surprise about a month after Thanksgiving. I had left it with turkey grease and a water pan in it, and never had a cover for it, and we had rushed off to my inlaws with the Thanksgiving turkeys, and cleaning the smoker was the last thing on my mind when I got home at 10PM that night. So now, the stick burner gets a good hosing out with soap, then burn a full chimney of charcoal in the firebox to dry it out, then cover it up.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I feel like covers trap moisture in. But our climates are different.

Here in Colorado it so dry there really isn't a concern for mold though, even when I lived on the east coast I left lids closed. My grills always do smell good. I just opened my Webber Q the other day to clean it up for spring but a couple of days before that I was showing a friend how the Amazin' Tube smoke tube works, lit if off and put it in that grill. It smelled even better after burning some apple pellets.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm gonna have to get a tube or pouch one of these days, just for kicks, so I can burn some pellets!

• kamadoRob
              kamadoRob commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s kinda fun. I did learn that it doesn’t work well in the kamado. Not enough air flow. They work great in a gasser though.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Only used mine for cheese in a Weber. Good to know not to try in the kamado.

I leave them down and my wife says all lids should be down.

Comment

As kamadoRob said, it's really dry here in Colorado. Thanks to this thread, I just checked my too-long-ignored (more than a year ) PBC and it's still clean, dry, and smelling just like the last batch of Last Meal Ribs I cooked ... (whew!) ...

Comment

All down. They stay in the garage when not in use. The garage smells good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here