Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Infrared Turkey Fryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Infrared Turkey Fryer

My brother-in-law sent us one of these as a Christmas present. Here is a link to the website describing it.

https://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-fryer It has excellent reviews. Users say the meats are tender and juicy. It is propane-powered, and in addition to turkeys, you can cook chickens, ribs, pork butts, briskets, etc. We have to be away this week-end, but plan to season it later today, then cook a duck on it next week.

Has anyone cooked on one of these? If so, what do you think of it?

I have never tried one, but I will be interested to hear what you have to say regarding your experience. I really want to know how that skin looks and tastes when it is done "frying" I know that was the best part of our fried turkey.

Comment

I bought my dad one of those and he absolutely loves it! As tender as deep fried and way more healthy. Try injecting the turkey that helps too!

Comment

Count me in for looking for your opinion once you use this a few times.

Comment

I have one, and love it. I've done turkeys, top round, french fries, etc. Whatever you can fry (without batter) you can do in it. I take it to tailgaters, use it on the patio for Thanksgiving/Christmas. It's awesome. I can answer any specific questions you have...

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
            Frozen Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            How do fries, onion rings etc come out. Crispy like they would with oil? I have that square copper kettle thing with the fryer basket. I use it on a induction plate so it holds the right temp nicely and everything comes out great. But I still have to deal with the oil afterwards.
            I guess the biggest drawback for me would be not being able to do beer battered fish which we do quite often.

• phrogpilot73
            phrogpilot73 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you batter it, you can't fry it. That's the bummer. If you dredge in flour (which I do with onion rings), it works out very well - just don't overload the basket. They come out very crispy, but not as crispy as oil.

I got one of these on clearance at Home Depot a few years ago after the Holiday season. It has exceeded my expectations. I usually have a fairly large gathering of friends at my house around Thanksgiving, and I smoke one turkey and used to deep fry another. After trying the oil-less-fryer I haven't gone back. The results, including the skin, are close enough to a fried turkey that any minimal difference is well worth not having to deal with oil. I haven't tried it for anything other than turkey though, maybe I will have to do some experimenting soon!

Comment

I bought one of these several years ago. It does a great job with turkeys, roasts, and I have done prime rib in it several times. I was not the biggest fan of the ham I tried in it, but everything else was good. Haven't tried non-meat in, might have to try that.

Comment

Just did my first cook, a 4# chicken. It was soooooooo juicy, completely cooked throughout, with delicious crispy skin.
              Very happy with this fryer.
              BTW, my granddaughter, who told me about this, did prime rib on Christmas- perfection!

Comment

I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm legit curious: How is this different from an oven? Seems like "air-frying" is just another way to say "baking" or "roasting." I mean... the definition of fry is to cook in hot fat.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
                  Buck Flicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I mean... does it actually "Fry"? It sounds like a souped up convection oven, unless I'm missing something.

• shify
                  shify commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Buck Flicks - As best I can tell, these are just really small and efficient convection ovens. I thought about getting one this year (was wrestling with frying my turkey this year) and couldn't pull the trigger after doing some internet reading and trying to figure out what problem it really solves being I already have a convection oven

• MillerTime
                  MillerTime commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't compared it to an oven, but I agree with others that it does a good job at "frying". Only thing I could see that might be a little different than an oven is the fact that it is perhaps hotter than an oven and the heat is evenly distributed in a tight circle surrounding the meat. Whereas an oven may only be heating from above or below and have much more air space between the meat and the walls. Just spitballing though...

Gee RA that's just what you need, more gadgets for the gadget man !!!

Comment

I have one. It's awesome. Excellent crunchy skin. I have had mine for 3 years. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkSimmers View Post
                    After trying the oil-less-fryer I haven't gone back. The results, including the skin, are close enough to a fried turkey that any minimal difference is well worth not having to deal with oil.
                    I 100% agree with this statement from my experience. And if you want to reduce any perceived differences even further, I have had success painting the turkey with peanut oil on the outside and then placing it in the Big Easy. You still get some of the oil taste without the cleanup afterwards. But it's still not that big of a difference that I feel it's a must-do every time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here