Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Size Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Size Choice

I've been doing some research on new cookers (MCS related) and methods lately and reading tons of stuff on stick burners. I'm extremely interested in buying a stick burner, but like T-bone mentioned with his Horizon, I'll be saving up for a while. So in the meantime, I will continue to use my vertical cabinet gasser for smoking.
    I've always went to my local grocery store to buy the bag of Western wood chunks. I've gone back and forth between the Chunks and the chips, but I think I produce a cleaner and longer lasting smoke with the chunks. Some of them are a little large for the tray in my smoker, but I just use my hatchet and cut them down to size.
    In my search for stick burner related threads, I've found links for Vaughn Wood Products and Fruita Wood. Are their wood products any better than the bag of Western I can readily get at any store near me? Also, for any of you gasser cabinet guys/gals out there, which do you prefer? Chips or chunks?

BTW, I use the Smoke Hollow 44" Gasser

I like to use Fruita Wood if I have something specific that I want and cant get in Minnesota. Like peach, mesquite or something similar. I like to buy splits for my kamaods. I don't buy chips cause they burn up too fast. For a gasser, I like chunks the best. Because you can add them to the flavorizor bars, under the grate.

If you are considering a stick burner, I would look at local wood suppliers. You will pay outrageous prices for the quantities you need from Fruita Wood or Vaughn. Try to find a firewood supplier that handles hard woods. Then see what your buying before. Or being that your in Michigan, cut your own hard woods!

Comment

i use a gasser and i also prefer fist sized chunks. chips just don't do what i need and do not last nearly long enough.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here