Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumbo Joe Experiences (with a bonus pizza question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumbo Joe Experiences (with a bonus pizza question)

Right now, my outdoor cooker collection is a tricked out 22" Weber Kettle with a Slow 'N Sear. That's it. There really isn't much I can't do with this configuration. The main problems I run into are these:

The 22" isn't quite big enough for some group gatherings.

The 22" is a little too big when just cooking for my family. (Not a huge problem, but cooking as much as I do on the grill now, I try to conserve as much fuel as possible.)

I've been thinking of a second cooker to up the volume—mainly a Smokey Mountain. However, after looking around I was thinking I could solve both issues (and others) by grabbing a Jumbo Joe with the SNS coal basket. This setup would allow for two simultaneous cooks, two extremely flexible cookers, something portable, and something lower to the ground when my kids want to help out. Oh yeah, it's also a really cheap option too!

Who here has a Jumbo Joe and what are your thoughts (family of 4, soon to be 5, with all kids currently under the age of 6)?

Additionally, if I did some pizza cooking in the Jumbo Joe, would the lower dome actually be helpful in the process?

I'm probably going to build a workbench too, so it'd be neat to design something with both grills in mind.

I cant comment on the Jumbo Joe as I only have a smokey joe to go along with my 22" with SNS. I will say that with the SNS i never feel like the 22 is too much for 2 people. I just shut her down after my cook and reuse the left over charcoal the next day

Comment

• binarypaladin
      binarypaladin commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been doing similar things and honestly, fuel conservation is sort of an accessory concern.

I have a Jumbo Joe, and it is a long story as to why. I primarily cook on my large Big Green Egg (18") and a MiniMax (13"). It is just my wife and me, but we often cook for our son, daughter-in-law, and grandkids 5 and 7. My thoughts on the Jumbo Joe are you can't cook at multiple levels like my Egg so you would not be able to cook as much food on the Jumbo Joe are I hate the Joe at ground level and wouldn't risk my grandkids near it at ground level. That's why I built a stand for it. If I were you and could afford it I would go for another 22" or 26" as part of planning for the future. Of course if you want to camp with a cooker the Jumbo Joe is an excellent choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
      I have a Jumbo Joe, and it is a long story as to why. I primarily cook on my large Big Green Egg (18") and a MiniMax (13"). It is just my wife and me, but we often cook for our son, daughter-in-law, and grandkids 5 and 7. My thoughts on the Jumbo Joe are you can't cook at multiple levels like my Egg so you would not be able to cook as much food on the Jumbo Joe are I hate the Joe at ground level and wouldn't risk my grandkids near it at ground level. That's why I built a stand for it. If I were you and could afford it I would go for another 22" or 26" as part of planning for the future. Of course if you want to camp with a cooker the Jumbo Joe is an excellent choice.
      In my situation, the Joe would be in addition to the other kettle anyway, so multiple levels don't much matter. I can do a spatchcocked chicken or smoke a small roast in a Joe from what I can tell.

I am going to build a table before the summer is out so it'd accommodate the Joe if I went that route. Close to the ground would be for select cooks where I had my daughter helping.

Good points though. I haven't discounted the idea of another 22" kettle. The 26" would be ideal for bigger groups, but kettle + accessories comes out to $500 and... well... it'd be more expensive than what I cook on most of the time. 22" might be the way to go though just because those are easy to find used for cheap and then I have a bunch of interchangeable accessories. Camping is a bit of a pain but... it's also an accessory concern. I only camp a few times a year. (Although I might do more grilling picnics if I had better cooking options.)

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Pizza... I think you would do better baking your pizzas in your 22" kettle. A Pit member has been working on how best to bake pizza on his 22" kettle and he really has done a great job of figuring how to get his baking temperature up high enough to get it done. Search for 22" kettle + pizza.

The fuse or snake method might work for low and slow on the Joe. Videos available on YouTube. You might need to eliminate one of the 4 rings of charcoal that is used on the 22" Weber.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here