Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a Longer Burn out of the Slow N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a Longer Burn out of the Slow N Sear

I am smoking a couple of butts today - which typically take a long time to cook - and I was thinking about a way to try and get a longer cook before having to add coals. So, when I put the food grate down I left the hinged part of grate up and was able to get about 20-25 more coals in the kettle. Now, I know that hot coals that are sitting above the top of the SnS are going to create some radiant heat. My hope is that the coals below them will collapse enough to drop the top coals down a bit. Also, since it's basically a fuse/snake type of setup, only a few of those top coals will be lit at a time. Anyhow, this is what it looks like (I have an additional comment below the pics):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	240799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	240800
    I am pretty sure I'll get some mild, good-natured admonishment from David Parrish as he knows I also have a 26 and I have yet to purchase the Primo SnS specifically designed for the bigger kettle.

JeffJ, Are You going to Smoke those Butts for a Week? I don't see anything Wrong with what You are Doing! I do it Occasionally and I have been told by David Parrish that he does this Also! He Owns AdrenalineBBQCo the Manufacturer of the S 'n S! I would suggest you shake the Ashes Down every 1 1/2 - 2 Hrs and You may have to Stir the Coals Periodically to keep them from Bridging on You! Watch Your Pit Temps! Good Smoking!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't need to shake ash that often. Every 5 hours maybe. With a PartyQ you can go 12 without shaking ash.

Thanx - keep the photos coming as the charcoal burns down.

Comment

Maybe wrap the hinged part that is standing up with foil to deflect the heat. I think this will work. Great idea. I just love the creative thinking of a BBQ cook.

Comment

B & B Hardwood Briquettes. Regular fill up. 15+ hours.

Comment

I have piled them up and had no issues, but I've got to find me some B&B. Here I come Google.

Comment

You can pile them no problem. I do that for overnight cooks all the time.

Comment

Two butts (assuming they are equal size/shape) cook just as quickly as one. I've always had plenty of burn time with my 22" kettle and SNS just filled normally with KBB.

I would probably need to top off more on a very cold or windy day tho so that trick might come in handy sometime.

Comment

The kettle is running HOT. I've got the bottom vent 'closed' (more on that in a minute) all of the way and the top vent is barely (and I mean barely) open. Running a couple of degrees north of 300. Thankfully, pork butt is as forgiving of a piece of meat that one can find and it should be fine, even at these hot temps.

A couple of my fan blades are bent up a bit so they still allow air to enter even when I move them over the intake. I really need to replace them.

i was able to choke the fire down to 280 for a couple of hours. It is now 8 hours into the cook and it has dropped all of the way to 250. The pork butts are currently at 198 and I am about to pull them and let them rest for an hour before pulling/shredding.
                Last edited by JeffJ; November 18, 2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I seen a post somewhere,. and I do not remember where, that a pitmaster screwed a round metal disc about, oh 3" or 4" diameter maybe, into the center hub of the cleanout fins (at least it looked that way), so that the perimeter of the disc pushed down on the fins, tightening them to the bowl. An option if you're handy and if you get my drift. Or just order a new set of cleanout fins!

I pile mine up too, sometimes so much that the grate sits cocked until it levels back naturally.

Comment

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I've had the grate not sitting flush. I need to replace the fan blades. Period. I can't choke the fire and allow for a fast cool-down when the cook is over.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here