Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@Spinaker, Some Days I Don't Eat BBQ! "Cast Iron Slum Gullion" Instead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Spinaker, Some Days I Don't Eat BBQ! "Cast Iron Slum Gullion" Instead!

Eunice, Decided to Clean The Fridge Last Night! Ham, Potatoes, Onions, Mushrooms, Pepper Jack Cheese, Seasonings and Topped With Whipped Whole Eggs! (@Jerod Broussard). Into the Oven Until Done! My Long Gone Grandma Called this Kind of Concoction "Slum Gullion"! If You Turned Your Nose Up She Would Threaten to Cut Your Ears Off?
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	239827Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	239829Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	239828Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	239830

Nice.
    I didn't like raisin bread when I was young. Threw out a half eaten slice, when my Dad saw it in the garbage, well lets just say I spent the rest of the day in my room. Nothing got thrown out in the "old days".

Comment

Was your grandmother from Spain or have Spanish heritage, cuz that's a Tortilla Espanola right there. I'd eat that in a heartbeat. It's one of the many iterations of "breakfast for dinner" in our house.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        JCBBQ, Actually Grandma was Scotch, English, with as I was Told a dab of Irish thrown in?
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool, @Danjohnston ! My Grandparents were Stottish, Irish, Welsh, n' German. SO, of course, no proclivity here for food, adult bevs, and no trace of temper when properly riled by folks;-)

That's a fancy omelette. You could pay a lot of money for that in a restaurant.

Jim

Comment

Leave out the onions ya got a meal.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a punishable crime to leave onions out. 25 years to life in Leavenworth.

Sounds and looks awesome!!! Anything cooked in Cast iron gets me going.

We just call this dish "Skillet"

Real Original!!!

Great post Dan.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker, Just an Old 12" No Name Cast Iron Fryiing Pan! Might be so old they couldn't Write Back Then? OBTW could
          You PM Me Your Mailing Address? I have Something I want to send You!
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Beautiful!....Thanks Dan for making me hungry

Comment

Diners charge a good bit for this, I love it!

Comment

@The Pit etal: Thanks for The Posts One and All! I thought about showing Your Comments to Eunice but I don't want to
            Ruin Her!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Have any of you ever had New Joe's Special? It's a San Francisco treat, even though it doesn't have Rice-a-Roni in it.

Comment

I found this recipe on my computer. I think I originally got from a Bay Area resident who was selling recipes popular in that area. My friends and I ate a lot of this while in medical school in San Francisco in the sixties.

New Joe’s Special

The many strengths of this recipe lie in its universal appeal, its simplicity, and the fact that it is nutritious, inexpensive, and delicious. The recipe is somewhat unspecific, especially with regard to the amount of salt and garlic used. I am used to cooking for people who believe "There can never be too much garlic", but I know everyone feels differently about this. The fennel seed is a must; it gives this dish its unique taste. If you have never used it before, BE CAREFUL, FOLLOW THE RECIPE. This spice can be very potent. As a matter of fact, it is often offered in East Indian restaurants as a breath freshener after a spicy meal. If you are unfamiliar with this particular spice, it has a vague licorice taste. Use more if you develop a taste for it, but start out with just a little bit

The best formula is the simplest one. This normally feeds 3 fairly hungry people:

1 Lb of ground beef
              1 Package frozen spinach (10oz)
              3 eggs
              1 small finely chopped onion
              2 Tsp Olive Oil
              2 Tsp Butter
              1 Tablespoon Fennel seed
              Garlic Powder, or raw garlic to taste
              Salt to taste using a coarse Kosher or sea salt
              (Optional: One 8 oz can of pitted black olives, preferably
              chopped or sliced)

Defrost Frozen spinach at room temperature or use your standard microwave defrost setting

Cook ground beef in a large skillet, immediately add half of the garlic you will use, and all of the fennel seed. Drain off fat; set aside.

Beat eggs in a separate bowl

Slowly heat a large skillet first with olive oil; then add butter. Sauté the chopped onion. When nearly transparent, add drained ground beef.

Add spinach, which should now be defrosted. If a little water is present, don’t worry, it will cook off quickly. Increase heat in the skillet until beef and spinach are well warmed. Add your black olives now if you choose.

Slowly pour beaten egg over and around the beef, onion, and spinach mixture. Mix well to evenly heat all ingredients. Add the rest of the garlic you plan to use. Judiciously apply salt as you would to your other favorite dishes, but remember that coarse salt is often rich and stronger in flavor than your regular, cheap grocery store brand. I suggest immediately cutting back the heat so that your scrambled egg does not stick to the in between areas in the bottom of the skillet. At this point you are merely blending and heating ingredients.

Stir and cook for just a few minutes under moderate and even heat. Depending upon how hot your burner is, this mixture may cook very quickly. You need to be careful to blend the egg mixture in thoroughly so as not to burn it. Do not cook too fast so your potentially scrumptious dish won’t become dry.

When everything is evenly heated this skillet dish is basically done. However, if you can achieve a low enough warming temperature for several minutes, you will get better saturation of spices. This dish can also be cooked, set aside, and then re-heated in the microwave at a later time with good, if not better results. It will also keep in the refrigerator for several days if placed in a good, dry, airtight container. If anything, "New Joe’s Special" will taste even better after a day or two in the fridge when the spices have had time to seep in.

Variations:

Obviously, this is a very easy recipe to increase if you want to feed more people. The ratios stay the same.

If you want to avoid the fat in ground beef, use ground turkey. This will have very little difference in the flavor outcome.

If you need to watch your cholesterol, egg substitutes (equivalent of 3 eggs) work beautifully in this dish, with no perceptible different in taste. Remember, it’s the spice that pulls it all together.

I often like to beat my eggs with 1-3 ounces of cottage cheese added. This gives the overall mixture a thicker, creamier, heartier consistency.

On one or two occasions I have added a bit of salsa to the mixture. If you are a true fan of South of the Border cuisine, you can go the whole 9 yards and add a half packet of taco seasoning too. Mostly though, I prefer this dish without tomatoes, since it presents a good contrast to a lot of the more Italian-tasting "tomato-y" dishes we often cook.

Last but not least, I have been known to add just 1/2 a packet of grocery store powdered Taco Seasoning for variety. For people who like "BIG TASTE".

Best of luck and please let me know how you like this.

Comment

Wild. My grandmother used to make slum gullion. I did not even know the spelling until now. Hers was mashed potatoes, string beans, leftover meat, cheese and red sauce in a baking dish. Mashed potatoes in the bottom, then layers of the mixture, covered again by mashed potatoes and topped with cheese. She would bake it until it was done, take the lid off and broil until the cheese, potato top was crisp. If you were lucky (in line) you would get some of the crunchy top portion. My mom has done a pretty good job over the years at trying to replicate it. Grandma's was not a written recipe and mom's red sauce is a bit too runny. I have not even thought of duplicating it.

Comment

Danjohnston949 , thanks fer th' bee-yoo-tee-ful pics of "Slum GUllion"!

Droolin' here, with warm, fuzzy memories, as well!

Ma/Gma, locals always called it 'Slum Gully', same stuff, varied according to what was on hand at th' time, of course.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here