Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC or Camp Chef Smoke Vault? Still can't decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC or Camp Chef Smoke Vault? Still can't decide

So I'm at that conflicted place again... yeah you know the place - the smokers dilemma. Which machine do I get next? Currently I have a Rec Tec pellet grill and a COS (char griller). As you can guess the COS is a POS and I'm getting rid of it. I need something to replace it and I've been looking at both the Smoke Vault 24 and the PBC.

Honestly my main considerations are first and foremost flavor. I'm trying to get the smokiest and closest to stick burner flavor profile as possible. The other factor is capacity. Both the smoke vault and PBC can cook a couple turkeys or let's say 8 racks of ribs. This is plenty of space for me right now so in that regard they are a draw.

Now it comes down to flavor profile. Which cooker will get me the closest to that smokey stick burner flavor that I crave? I know the charcoal imparts it's own unique flavor along with the wood chunks I throw on there with it on the PBC. I also know that on the Smoke Vault the propane heats the plate under the woodchips/chunks which causes them to smoke but they themselves aren't on fire so there isn't actual combustion which does affect the flavor profile. So my question is, of these 2 which will provide A.) the best or most flavor or B.) Which would be the closest to the wood smokey flavor of a traditional stick burner?

Any thoughts?

I turn out some awesome smoked sausage burning gas in my COS using hickory and cherry chunks the whole smoke. I also turned out some awesome ribs with gas and wood chunks.

The brisket and pork shoulder and chicken and ribs are out of this world on the PBC.

I'd get another PBC before a gas smoker myself.

Welcome to The Pit!!

Comment

I really enjoy the ease of use, and flavor that my PBC produces, but its called the Pit Barrel Cooker, not the Pit Barrel Smoker. Granted I've smoked all manners of food in mine, and its great, I have never used gas anything, so I can't comment on a gas smoker.
      Looking at the Camp Chef, it appears to offer more ways to easily control temp, where as the PBC doesn't typically require tuning too much, but I have yet to keep it at a stable 225 for any length of time. That being said, even at a higher temp, the food comes out great.
      I use chunks when I cook with it, but I don't think it really gets anywhere near the smokiness of food cooked on a stick-burner. It really will come down to what fuel you rather use.

Comment

Can you smoke 8 racks of ribs with the Camp Chef Smoke Vault? Welcome to the Pit

Comment

my 1st smoker was a masterbuilt electric smoker. It had a chamber above the heating rod where you put the wood chips. It said to soak the chips prior to putting them on. I did and got a lot of smoke (which later found out was mostly steam from the water in the chips) was wonderful on Turkey but all other red meats came out tasting like roast (out of a oven). Sounds a lot like what the Camp chef is doing. Although that was 10 years ago so the science is probably better now.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          just went and watched some you tube videos on the Chef. Seemed thinned walled like the char griller your getting rid of. It was gas (better than electric) the PBC seems much more sturdy and burns the wood I (just me) would lean more towards the PBC

Welcome from Indiana....

Part of the flavor profile from the PBC is the fat/grease dripping down onto the hot coals and sizzling back up to the meat. It creates a unique and delicious flavor profile.... You can get some smoke profile in there to by tossing in some chunks or chips.

Speed is another thing you will get with the PBC. Things cook relatively faster in a PBC...

Being that you already have a pellet cooker that is pretty easy operation... I would opt for the PBC as Jerod mentioned.

Comment

From what you describe, PBC all the way. You can add wood chunks to it too to get a little extra smoky flavor, but most will tell you it's not needed. A gasser has its benefits but if you're looking primarily for flavor there's little chance it would ever beat the PBC.

And, welcome to The Pit! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

Comment

Ill tell you what, I will sell you my 24" smoke vault and get the PBC and let you know which one I like better😀. I think that if you are anything like the rest of us here. We want to try all of them! I was torn like you between the same 2 and got the smoke vault and while it is a nice smoker I still yearn for the PBC. So can anyone tell me about cleaning the PBC? That is the one thing I dislike about the smoke vault.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Cleaning the PBC is fairly easy, Use either foil on the bottom or get the optional ash catcher. If it gets a little to grungy for you inside, run it with the lid off to burn off some of that grunge. "Never wash the inside of the cooker" but the exterior cleans up nice with a damp towel.

• Bob's BBQ
              Bob's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I have an old craftsman shop vac that I use in my garage. I always let the PBC burn out (make sure its cold!) and use the shop vac to clean it out. Easy-peasy! I only scrape off build up that is flaking and could end up on the meat (mainly on the lid and above the grate).

Since I have the camp chef smoke vault currently I will say go with the pbc. The family loved the six racks of ribs and pulled pork I did in the camp chef but to me it felt crowded in the smoker. It also is very touchy on the dial to control temp. I've already decided to get another smoker come March when I get my bonus check for completion of my truck lease and putting off buying a truck for another 2 years.

Comment

I don't have a PBC YET but the convection cooking and fat dripping on charcoal for an inspired fog seems like a flavor profile that would stand all by itself.

Comment

I have a TEC infrared that works on the same principle. The juices evaporating and going back into the meat really make a fine difference,

Comment

Wow! So much input. Thanks everyone for chiming in. All the info is great but now my decision is harder lol. I was leaning towards the smoke vault 24 before posting this and now I'm seriously considering going the other way. I really was in love with the idea of a cabinet style smoker, but man this whole fat dripping on the coals creating a totally delicious flavor profile notion really has me drawn in lol. Hmm... My family(16 in all) was super impressed with the turkeys I made on the pellet smoker last Thanksgiving - almost like it more than the fried turkey my brother in law made. This year I want to blow that fried turkey out the water so the next machine I get has to do that job :-) decisions decisions.... To answer your question @dwcowels yes from what I've read you can do 4 racks at the same time on the smoke vault.

Huskee I'll totally introduce myself on the intro thread tomorrow some time.

Comment

Oops, was thinking of a different smoker. Previous stupid reply has been removed.
                    Last edited by Abom; November 4, 2016, 08:48 AM.

Comment

One is made in China, one is made in the USA. PBC hands down.
                      Last edited by Spinaker; November 4, 2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! All I can say is PBC. I get off work late evenings, so I don't get to say too much that hasn't been covered. Smoke on!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here