Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate lifestyle…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate lifestyle…

Woke up at 5 this morning to the power out…
    Had to use the Coleman stove with a fossil fuel tank to make coffee…
    But kept Gram’s percolator warm in the organic fueled microwave…
    Noon came, so I drug out Dad’s 1965, AM radio to listen to the Bulldogs while I ate lunch…
    It’s been a good day…
    Attached Files

electricity is overrated away.

Comment

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      It really is… HawkerXP
      I spread the coals to let the fire go out…
      Now sitting in the yard listening to the radio…

As a former broadcaster I know I am biased but live sports on the radio while chilling in the backyard is as much fun for me as watching on TV, especially baseball and local college broadcasts. That said, I hope you have power again soon.

Comment

• Alan Brice
      Alan Brice commented
      Editing a comment
      Marty n Joe. Joe Knuxhall pitched for the Reds briefly. Marty Brennaman took over for Al Michaels. Reds on radio! Now you’re talking. Both are retired n Joe has sadly passed.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you get more understanding of what’s happening on radio vs TB.

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Alan Brice, I am a lifelong Reds on radio listener. I could get WLW on the transistor radio in my bedroom growing up in Indianapolis. With SiriusXM and the MLB app I’ve continued to listen (and watch) almost every night here in Chicago. Loved Marty and Joe and Marty and the Cowboy. Becoming a Tommy Thrall fan.

Living the dream.

Comment

When you said Alternative lifestyle....well....it kinda threw me....

Comment

• Davek8282
        Davek8282 commented
        Editing a comment
        SMOKIN fool. Out of the gutter your standing on my head

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand, smokin fool
        My alternate state is what they used to call… normal…

Bout to do a backyard camp with the kids. Have the John Wayne campfire tripod dusted off along with smokey Joe, and hanging percolator

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya’ll have a great time! Every single minute of it! texastweeter

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Gonna rain tonight. Figured I'd better get the youngest two (6 &7) acclimated to it close to home. Thanks Washblue

I finished out the game sitting in the Adirondack chairs wondering how long it’ll be before all the leaves have all fallen…

Power was back on about the half…
      Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        That is heaven brother. I'm so tempted sometimes to just melt away into the woods and not come back for months, then about that time one of my kids wants something from me and I remember why I dont.

• CHNeal
        CHNeal commented
        Editing a comment
        You Sir are winning the game of life!

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        My grandparents set up housekeeping over 100 years ago…
        This was the view from their porch…
        The house is gone but the view remains…

Love it!

Comment

Wow! A place dreams are made of.

Comment

A Vienna sausage on a saltine cracker? Jeez, that takes me back a few decades to a far simpler lifestyle.

Comment

• Washblue
            Washblue commented
            Editing a comment
            (With Tajin seasoning!)

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I was wondering…

46° and raining, but we are all dry and warm.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            When I was a little kid I received a teepee one Christmas. I spent many a nights camped out behind the house with my brother.

• Washblue
            Washblue commented
            Editing a comment
            Lots of saltines and peanut butter was consumed in a tent while raining… and lots flashlight batteries were used reading books under the covers…

I can’t imagine not experiencing it…

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            It was saltines, cheese, and peparoni sticks.

Most of my family can identify. When young and I was overseas my wife took a job teaching in a one room school house in Northern Canada. She was provided a free cabin to live in. While it had electricity and an oil stove for heat it lacked any indoor plumbing except a hand pump in the kitchen. She and our oldest son, then 2 years old, spent 10 months there. Not to be outdone our younger son lived in a cabin near Bat Cave NC for three years. No electricity, indoor plumbing, heating and cooking done by wood and water carried from a nearby spring. Then our daughter had to see if she could survive a Maine Winter, so off she went for a year and lived in a cabin where heating and cooking was by wood only. No electricity or plumbing either. These periods mainly off the grid had a big impact on their character.
          I rest assured that should the world go down the toilet and they all have to move home they can take care of their old dad in his dotage.

Comment

• Washblue
            Washblue commented
            Editing a comment
            Wonderful experiences… for sure…
            Our water is gravity flow to a cistern from the same giant rock my great grandparents carried their water from…
            I very much appreciate the ability to live without every available convenience…

I penned a phrase for my family… so they’d better understand…

The items we’ll need to make a living with tomorrow… are for sale in an antique store today…

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here