Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aquarium smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aquarium smokers

I was listening to a podcast today about BBQ on the south side of Chicago. Apparently, they're famous for rib tips, since there is a surplus of them. (Would I be so lucky!) More interestingly, they smoke their food indoors using an 'aquarium smoker' and a vent hood.
    I've seen lots of pictures of different styles of smokers, but I've never seen an aquarium smoker! You learn something new every day.

This isn't the podcast I listened to, but it has pictures:
    Chicago barbecue, made in a signature aquarium smoker, has evolved into a style unto itself. Reporter Ambriehl Crutchfield shares this Gravy story.

Edit: fixed link
    Last edited by SmokingPat; October 11, 2022, 08:53 PM.

Link doesn't work but searching google goes to the exact link and it works.. keywords aquarium smoker and Chicago... wish they had a video I just don't do the whole podcast thing, a video with CC woulda been awesome

Comment

Click below and scroll down.

Chicago's barbecue heritage migrated from southern blacks of the Mississippi Delta, their unique Aquarium pit design. Rib tips and hot links are specialties.

Comment

• SmokingPat
        SmokingPat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I tried fixing the link several times, and I thought I had it right.

Never even heard of this type of smoker before. It’s cool looking, but scares the mustard out of me!

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's Chicago, It's supposed to scare the ketchup off your hot dogs

The Chicago Tribune ran a feature about Chicago BBQ and it’s history. It was kind of a fascinating article and they talked about a place with this type of smoker in the city , Honey 1.

I’d never heard of it either. Or really knew what Chicago BBQ is, which centers around rib tips.

Comment

When I lived in South Bend in the ‘70s, I saw them at Frankie’s. The Q was good, best I remember.

Comment

Yes, Aquarium Smokers are kind of a thing here in Chi. There are 2 places near me the use them. Smokin M's BBQ and Robinson's Ribs. There are many more across the city and burbs. Here is a nice article.

Rib tips are are kind of like hot dogs and pizza in Chicago. People have their favorite places usually depending on the neighborhood and usually are loyal to that place for life.

Rib tips are also sometimes street food. In a few neighborhoods at random times, local expert BBQers sell their fare on certain street corners. Sometimes you can smell their smoker (which is usually a 55 gallon drum barrel smoker) from blocks away. I saw them more often before Covid. When I see a homemade sign that says, "TIPS", I know exactly what that means and more often than not, I'll pick some up and bring them home.

Rib tips done well can be a real treat. You get a lot of meat for much cheaper than a full slab. I think mastering tips is harder than mastering full slab ribs.

I think I know what I'm going to bring home for dinner tomorrow.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            To me, properly cooked rib tips are the best part of the pig! I know others will disagree, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here