Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help for a 2-Zone Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help for a 2-Zone Setup

Hey folks,

I’m staying with some friends in Nevada and they have been amazingly gracious hosts. They asked me to cook ribs on their grill this Sunday. They have a Members Mark gas on the left charcoal on the right grill. I want to use the charcoal side which has a standard grate with a warming rack in the lid. The charcoal sits directly below the grate and you can raise and lower the charcoal grate with a crank. Before you ask, they didn’t want Tri-Tip they want ribs.

What do you guys think about this... crank the charcoal grate as close to the cooking grate as possible and put a foiled half sheet pan with water on it. Bank the charcoal on the floor of the grill next to the air intake off to the right. Half sheet pan acts like a heat diffuser and adds some moisture.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jhapka; June 17, 2022, 08:25 AM.

*Edit* moved this post into my first post
    Last edited by jhapka; June 17, 2022, 08:25 AM.

Comment

EDIT: Just read your second post, and that is what I would do as well.

My son in law has a grill like this, and my advice to him has been similar to what you are suggesting.

I'll assume there is no grate probe, so just go by the dome thermometer if you have to, knowing it is cooler at the grate, and maybe consider doing a foil wrap (Texas crutch) ala 3-2-1 rib method. I find that while I prefer the ribs to run unwrapped most of the cook, most folks like and expect that fall off the bone tenderness you get from that 2 hours in the foil.

You can finish them on the gas side to get some char, which is a good idea especially if saucing the ribs.

Comment

Cook 'em up and eat!
        How low will it go? if it is still too high use a brick or two to set up your zones or snake the charcoal around the edge.

*just saw your sencond post to. Enjoy the cook!
        Last edited by DTro; June 17, 2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Maybe you could also try Blasphemy ribs, only a 2-2 1/2 hour cook time.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Only drawback to the blasphemy method is that it requires more grate space due to the need to space the ribs out. I can only fit about half as many ribs on the cooking grate when using that method as I do if I leave the slabs of ribs intact.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here