Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to figure out how this BBQ functions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to figure out how this BBQ functions

Hi. New to the forum. Just retired and plan to get into the hobby. We bought our house a few years ago and this BBQ was here. I do not know a lot about it, but would like to learn more. It was made by a company call "West of Memphis" in Apache Junction, AZ and won an award in a BBQ magazine in the past. They are no longer in business. It is made of heavy plate steel and is modular. The top sections can be interchanged and they sold accessories like a pizza over top. It is set up with natural gas on one side and charcoal on the other. The gold knob in the middle opens up a vent between the two side and the gold knob on the right is a vent for the charcoal box. I tried to use it as sort of an offset smoker with lump charcoal on the left and the meat in the box on the right but it would not get hot enough without having the gas burners on. The is an open vent in the back-top section of each box and I think too much heat can escape from there (there is not a way to close these open vents). Any advice? Thanks!
    Attached Files

I have no idea what that cooker is. But it looks pretty cool. And that outdoor space looks really sweet.
    Hopefully someone here has some knowledge about that bad boy and will chime in.
    Plus welcome to the pit.

Comment

First, welcome. This seems like something Max Good might be able to help you with. He did a review on one model and did speak with the owner.

Comment

looks pretty cool

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice setup!

That looks really nice. Learn the technique for it and you should be able to cook some superb meals!

Comment

That looks really nice. Almost forgot:

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Greetings and welcome from North Carolina

Comment

Yes, another one who can't help but like said above, Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

above my paygrade……welcome to the pit…..noice pit!

Comment

Looks great! Nice view too. I think that is meant to be used as a grill, not as an offset. Perhaps the vent between the two sides is to let a little smoke into the gas side?

Comment

AZOutdoors it LOOKS like there are top vent "smoke stacks" that have a metal plate that opens and closes over them. Are you saying that both the charcoal and gas side also have an opening in the back of the body? Can you show a picture of that area?

I can think of ways to close up an opening, at least on the charcoal side. The issue on the gas side is likely safety related. Almost all gas grills have VERY leaky body designs, by intent. I.e. the lids do not seal tightly with lots of gap, and there are usually lots of air gaps below where the drip tray and grease collection system reside. This is by design, so that you don't get gas buildup and explosions if the gas is on but not ignited yet, with the lid closed.

On the charcoal side, you really WANT a tightly sealed box, with air only coming in from intake vent and going out the top exhaust vent, and maybe it is possible to seal over the opening in the rear with some foil tape like that used for HVAC systems, gas water heater vent pipe sealing and such, and then paint that tape black to match. I don't think I would go to far in sealing the gas side up tightly however.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was gonna say it looks like the left charcoal side is controlled by the damper on the doors and the stack.

That's a nice looking rig and set up, alas, I too am of no help.
                    When they say its so easy a two year old can use it, they have to remember, I'm not two any more.

Comment

Looks like the "west of memphis" grills which are sort of modular. there has been a review here: https://amazingribs.com/grill-smoker...nman-3-review/ but not exhaustive.

I think this is them: https://www.facebook.com/WestofMemphisBBQ/

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the great replies! I have seen a few of the videos but have not seen anything talking about the proper setup. Here are a few additional photos showing the vents. The vent that goes across the back is open down into each cook box. There is an adjustable vent between the boxes and the front of the charcoal box has an adjustable vent (plus the two chimneys with the movable flappers. As 58Limited said, maybe the intention of the vent between the boxes is to draw in some smoke...not to cross-heat between the boxes?
                        Attached Files

Comment

This company's main business his high end architectural metal fabrication. As mentioned above, the basic designs are modular and can be configured per client's wishes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here