Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV Owners, What Grill Do You use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Owners, What Grill Do You use

We are currently in the market to purchase a travel trailer. Heading to another state on Tuesday to a dealer that sells the brand trailer we are zeroing in on. Once we make a purchase we need to get it ready for travel. We both enjoy using a grill so would want to have one with use. I'm curious, for those of you that own an RV what portable grill do you recommend? Gas, pellet or charcoal. What brand do you like along with any pro's or cons. Thanks in advance.

My wife likes to watch abom79 travel adventures on you tube and Adam cooks on several devices such as a mini pit barrel, Dutch ovens and a small charcoal grill so there may not be one that does everything?

Comment

I don't have one, but would like to get a travel trailer, and one thing I plan to get if that happens is one of the Camp Chef 16" stoves, which fold up for convenient storage, AND include options like griddles, grill boxes, pizza ovens, and is a 3 burner gas stove as well of course. About the only thing you can't do is smoke, so I am thinking a portable pellet cooker like the Grilla Chimp might work, or even a charcoal grill or smoker of some sort.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        We're in that same spot, and the one of the camp chef 16" 3 burners with a bunch of the options is top of my list, if they ever wind up in stock again...

• Bighorn Dave
        Bighorn Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        After looking at all the options I went with this suggestion, but in the 14" version. Grabbed the griddle and grill box as well. Thanks for pointing my nose in this direction. For our needs I think it was our best choice.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Bighorn Dave I think that was a great choice. Right now the 14" Camp Chef seems more readily available too.
        Last edited by jfmorris; September 1, 2021, 09:57 AM.

Bighorn Dave Don't know how big a TT you are considering but space will always be an issue. I started RVing in the early 70s and have had a lot of different grills. My experience is that LP is better than charcoal for several reasons. Less messy, quick to start, easy to use, and when you turn it off you are done. You don't have coals burning for another hour or more.That is important if you just want to cook a quick lunch at a pullover while enroute or if it starts raining or snowing.

Most importantly....during forest fire season you will NOT be able to use charcoal or any open flame other than LP.

There are dozens of brands and styles but many are CHEAP products that won't last a season. The most popular are the Weber Q series as they are sturdy and reliable, but heavy. I got many years out of one but got tired of lifting it in/out of the pickup bed as I have bad back problems and arthritis.

Drive thru a campground or RV park and see what people are using. Rvers are friendly folks and will always share info with you.

P.S. I bet you are going to LaGrande and looking at Arctic Fox & Nash. Can't go wrong with either.

Comment

The Traeger Ranger, which is a table top model, or the Traeger Tailgater would be perfect.

Comment

I don’t have a RV, but have been impressed with my Weber Traveler. It’s not tiny, but a pretty decent grill and depending on what you get for a camper might be able to be strapped in vertical where it has a small footprint. I’ve also been hearing decent things about the ASmoke portable pellet grills.

klflowers will hopefully see this tag and chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
          Bighorn Dave Don't know how big a TT you are considering but space will always be an issue. I started RVing in the early 70s and have had a lot of different grills. My experience is that LP is better than charcoal for several reasons. Less messy, quick to start, easy to use, and when you turn it off you are done. You don't have coals burning for another hour or more.That is important if you just want to cook a quick lunch at a pullover while enroute or if it starts raining or snowing.

Most importantly....during forest fire season you will NOT be able to use charcoal or any open flame other than LP.

There are dozens of brands and styles but many are CHEAP products that won't last a season. The most popular are the Weber Q series as they are sturdy and reliable, but heavy. I got many years out of one but got tired of lifting it in/out of the pickup bed as I have bad back problems and arthritis.

Drive thru a campground or RV park and see what people are using. Rvers are friendly folks and will always share info with you.

P.S. I bet you are going to LaGrande and looking at Arctic Fox & Nash. Can't go wrong with either.
          You are close. The factory for Outdoor RV is not doing tours currently due to Governor Kate Browns desire to lock down the state again. I did view a three part series on youtube for the factory tour. Very enlightening. We are actually headed to Pendleton to Thompson RV. They have a few of the different models to look at which is what we wanted to do first before buying. It just so happens they have a 2019 consignment trailer that fits our needs perfectly (we think) that they have been kind enough to put a sold sign so we have a chance to see it. Only used twice before the original owners started having health issues and can't use it any more. I feel very sad for them but life has a way of dishing out some bruises now and again. Not going to leave for there until Tuesday so there is always a chance it could sell before we could get there. We really appreciate them taking that step to help us out. Score a few brownie points for customer service. Also a family owned business which for us is important to support assuming we can come to terms that are fair to all.

Comment

• Clark
            Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            Bighorn Dave Good luck on your trip to check it out. Thompson has a good rep so hope they treat you right. It's ironic that you have to drive to Pendleton although you have several big dealers in Boise area. We bought a unit from Nelson's in 2009 (when still family owned), although we lived outside of Colorado Springs. I made our deal on telephone in February when they were just sitting around the fireplace hoping the phone would ring. I'll never forget driving across Wyoming in a blizzard!

I would think something like a PKGO might be worth a look. It is versatile and not so big as to take up a lot of space. Use it when and where you can and maybe have a WeberQ for places that restrict charcoal cooking.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            I really love my PKGO and I only use it around the house so far. It is a little funky for an RV maybe because it's not boxy... But all the pieces securely fit inside it. Can probably stack a bag or two of charcoal on it... Depending on your chimney that might fit inside the capsule. Having said that, you are limited to a rack or ribs cut in half or a small pork butt for smoking, but you can grill quite a lot of burgers or dogs on it, especially if you use the flip kit.

• efincoop
            efincoop commented
            Editing a comment
            I wrote PKGO, but meant to type PKTX. It's basically the PK Original on a wheeled stand .

I have a 32' Class C. I carry a Weber 18" Jumbo Joe and a 17" Blackstone propane griddle. I'm thinking about stepping up to the 22" griddle, however. I rarely use the RV stove and when I do cook inside I set the Blackstone on top of the stove and cook on top of it. it's so versatile I really love it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	88E39D41-9C69-4C49-87DF-92AE14D3E02E.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	1081443Click image for larger version

Name:	D4C72B17-3072-4B0E-A19E-D619CBCE9147.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1081442 Blackstone 17” Adventure Ready griddle with collapsible travel stand and Charbroil X200 Grill2Go propane grill.

Comment

I have a 34' class A and I have a Traeger Scout pellet grill that I bought a couple of years ago. It is a great lite grill, but it doesn't hold low temps at all. Does good wings, dogs and burgers but that is it. So I bought a Grilla Chimp, and I love it, but it is a little to big for the RV basement. It is pretty heavy too. I think the Green Mtn Davy Crockett may be a little smaller and might fit better, and Max Good's review of it was good. I also have a Camp Chef Tahoe 3 burner stove that I absolutely love using. I didn't modify my onboard propane tank to feed it so I travel with a portable refillable tank. The stove is my favorite travel cooker.

Anyway. I think the combo of a stove like the Tahoe, a griddle plate (my Tahoe came with a cast iron griddle) and a small pellet grill.is ideal.

Good luck with the search, and maybe down the road we will hook up at a rv park somewhere. RV folks are some of the nicest, most friendly people around.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Green Mountain now has the Trek portable pellet grill. The Davey Crocket may have been discounted. The Yrek looks pretty good I think

I am lazy, an jus use th stock 1984 grille that came with Th Blue Belle; it's worked jus fine fer decades....

If'n I decide to go cook somewhere outbounds, why, I throws me a Weber Kettle in th back...

Gots me a few, to choose from...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                This is th max extent of my RV Budget, at present.

I've got a 30' Class C and carry an 18" Weber Jumbo Joe with the SNS and a 2 burner Blackstone flat top. Also, a 2 burner electric hot plate.

Comment

We started with a WeberQ and everything I used it for was eventually replaced by a Blackstone griddle which I found more than met basic camp needs.

The inevitable 2-foot-itis eventually allowed me to bring different flavors of smoker along.

Comment

We just bought a 2022 Grand Design 265BH after being diehard tent campers for 20 years. The neighbor on our first voyage to Leavenworth, WA had an 18” Weber Smokey Mountain. Kind of like his style!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here